• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brownie
    • Nov 2008
    • Brisbane

BF Goodrich KM2 mud tyres

I fitted a set of BF Goodrich KM2 mud tyres recently and have completed my first trip, about 500 km, with them last weekend at the SE Qld trip to Emu Ck. I purchased the tyres as a second set, and have every intention of swapping them over to the standard Bridgestone HT?s that came with the car for everyday use. The BFG?s will be used for weekend trips and holidays ? planning a trip to the cape within the next two years. I?m not particularly tough on tyres ? I drive the paj likes it?s a 2 ton truck, not a sports car, and don?t find the noise of the standard NS bad at all, but I did come from owning a GQ Patrol. The NS Pajero seems very civilized by comparison.

On road: Well, there is no more engine noise. At any speed, the only noise you can hear is tyre noise, but its not unpleasant, and at highway speeds, the difference is two clicks on the volume control of the radio. Whilst driving on the highway, my partner was talking on the phone, and I could hear the other party, so its not that noisy. On the trip home, I could still hear snoring over the tyre noise . Grip is good, the vehicle tracks straight, steers much the same as usual, braking seems unchanged and overall the tyres give you a confident feeling that you are in control. It has not rained for a while, so no chance yet for a wet weather test. Haven?t done enough kilometers yet, but fuel consumption will be up ? you need a few extra revs just to get them rolling despite an identical overall diameter to the standard tyres.

Off road: On dirt roads at around 80k?s, the tyres make no more noise than HT?s, but have better grip, especially in loose gravel. Feels really controlled. In some testing low range steep hills, with a loose surface, the km2?s were exceptional. We found a particularly steep hill, and half the group watched 5 vehicles attempt the climb ? 4 NS shorties and an NS lwb. The km2?s at 25 psi went up the hill first go, lots of spinning wheels and skipping sideways, but never looked like slowing down, whilst all the other vehicles had a degree of trouble and multiple attempts ? see JoshF?s video in the Forum Meets section.
    Overall, I?m very impressed and they fit my intended use perfectly -comfortable on the highway, and even better when the going gets tough .
    Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
    Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50
  • Snapcatcher
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2009
    • Brisbane

Thanks for the review, and please keep us updated on tyre wear or any other issues. Ive been planning on changing to MTZ's soon, but have seen a few negative comments about them recently, so im now considering the competition as well.
    Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.

Comment

• JoshF
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
      We found a particularly steep hill, and half the group watched 5 vehicles attempt the climb ? 4 NS shorties and an NS lwb. The km2?s at 25 psi went up the hill first go, lots of spinning wheels and skipping sideways, but never looked like slowing down, whilst all the other vehicles had a degree of trouble and multiple attempts ? see JoshF?s video in the Forum Meets section.
      Overall, I?m very impressed and they fit my intended use perfectly -comfortable on the highway, and even better when the going gets tough
      I do have to admit I was running the BFG AT's at 32 and were probably 4 - 8 PSI over where they should have been for the type of hill. Yes the Muddies did look the job though and made the hill look much easier
      NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
      Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Brownie
        • Nov 2008
        • Brisbane

Will let you know how the KM2's wear. Planning to do my first wheel swap this weekend and put the HT's back on the Paj.

The MTZ's looked interesting but my intended use is more touring than looking for trouble, and I was really after the holy grail - mud tyres that also handled well on the highway, and the KM2's come close. They are still too noisy to live with everyday around town, but will make a great touring tyre. I would now have no hesitation to drive 2000 kms from Brisbane to Cairns on the highway to start the Cape York trip as these tyres are safe and controllable.

I would not be surprised if the KM2's took sales away from BF Goodrich AT's.

Comment

• Brownie
          • Nov 2008
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
          I do have to admit I was running the BFG AT's at 32 and were probably 4 - 8 PSI over where they should have been for the type of hill. Yes the Muddies did look the job though and made the hill look much easier
          Excuses, excuses. The video was cool, but did not do that hill justice - it was much steeper than your video shows. Your Paj seemed to run out of puff, not traction, and when you restarted, you seemed to just power up the hill. Were you locked in 1st gear, or still using the auto? I am of the opinion that the Paj is geared too high, and increasing the tyre diameter just makes this worse. Your gearing is only a few % higher with your bigger tyres, but I wonder if this made a difference .

Comment

• JoshF
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Brisbane

Excuses, excuses. The video was cool, but did not do that hill justice - it was much steeper than your video shows. Your Paj seemed to run out of puff, not traction, and when you restarted, you seemed to just power up the hill. Were you locked in 1st gear, or still using the auto? I am of the opinion that the Paj is geared too high, and increasing the tyre diameter just makes this worse. Your gearing is only a few % higher with your bigger tyres, but I wonder if this made a difference .
            Yeah I know it was, we need photos from the side showing a horizontal view then you really see the angle of the hill!!

I used the auto box and let it do the work. I was trying to move to the left of the track when I stopped as it looked less churned by the previous climbers ( I was the 4th one up) but was trying to not stop.

I would have thought low 1st would have put too much torque out with the extra loose surface if too much right foot used.
            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Brownie
              • Nov 2008
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
              I was trying to move to the left of the track when I stopped as it looked less churned by the previous climbers .
              Ooops, that would have been me doing the churning. I turned the corner in low 1st and planted it, as per Kemsley's advice. We seemed to dig our way to the top - we slipped and bounced our way with a shower of rocks flowing from each wheel.

If that wasn't a low first hill, when would you use low first? Bear in mind that it was almost impossible to walk down that hill, and two trail bikes each had two attempts and could not get up.

Comment

• JoshF
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Brisbane

If that wasn't a low first hill, when would you use low first? Bear in mind that it was almost impossible to walk down that hill, and two trail bikes each had two attempts and could not get up.
                Good Questions that as I have nothing to compare against. I have always tried to let the auto box work for me on climbs and use manual for downhills when needed. I think we need to try it again with some combinations to test this out

Comment

• CeeJay
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2008
                  • Samford, QLD

I used low 1st, don't think I'd have got up in 2nd. I ended up with my tyres at 22psi to get up, Jeff had to drop his to 15psi, but the ATRs are less aggressive anyway.

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• JoshF
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by CeeJay View Post
                    I used low 1st, don't think I'd have got up in 2nd. I ended up with my tyres at 22psi to get up, Jeff had to drop his to 15psi, but the ATRs are less aggressive anyway.
                    and that is the silly part for the auto box, low 2nd has the hill hold (what ever its called) but 1st doesn't (that I am aware of) and on a hill like that it is where you might really need it

Comment

• geoff&vi
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • Brisbane

Brownie,

I read with particular interest your summation of the KM2's and you being happy to drive 2000kms to Cairns before getting the the fun part of the Cape. We will be doing the same in 2011 and as my current R51 TD Pathfinder runs out of lease in 6 months, a Paj will be filling the garage spot. I also want a second set just for the Cape and some fun, so it's good to hear first hand that you are happy with them. What other mods are you considering for the Cape assault?

We will be towing our Lifestyle 360i Camper, with matching tyres and i', champing at the bit for 2011 to roll around. My wife has given me almost free reign to add whatever i need (see want) to the car prior to departing. (geez i luv her!!!)

cheers
                      Geoff
                      GONE - 2010 VRX DiD Silver
                      NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning

Comment

• Lazarus
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Melbourne, Western suburbs

I have KM2's and I love them
                        NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform

Comment

• Brownie
                          • Nov 2008
                          • Brisbane

Geoff,
                          I'm pobably not the best person to offer advice on what mods are required for a Cape York trip - I have never been there.

I think I already have most things I need for the trip (check out my signature below) however, I am planning on adding a snorkel and may need to look at a long range tank for the shortie. Like you, I have a camper trailer, but my dilemma is after talking to people like JCD (search for him on this forum) who did the cape this year, he has advised that a camper trailer would limit your ability to do some of the tracks. Have to weigh up the inconvenience of parking the trailer and backtracking to see some of the more rugged spots against the greater comfort of having the camper for the majority of the trip. Decisions decisions

There is a thread in the trips section that deals with Cape York. Why not post your question there. You will probably get more responses.

Comment

• dean
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007

Anyone else have these tyres and those who do, do you have any more reports on them.
                            My bfg atko have lasted a very respectable 60,000.
                            This will be my fourth set of tyres for this paj.
                            I like most dont need muds but gee they look good and there's nothing like a change.
                            My only concerm would be the noise on the highway. Those with them how are they going as they wear.
                            Dean
                            Last edited by dean; 13-04-10, 05:59 PM.
                            NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Zed
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Hunter Valley

Originally posted by dean View Post
                              Anyone else have these tyres and those who do, do you have any more reports on them.
                              My bfg atko have lasted a very respectable 60,000.
                              This will be my fourth set of tyres for this paj.
                              I like most dont need muds but gee they look good and there's nothing like a change.
                              My only concerm would be the noise on the highway. Those with them how are they going as they wear.
                              Dean
                              Hey Dean, Im pretty happy with my BFG muddys, although mine are the original KM I've got close to 20K up on them now and showing very little wear, I do rotate every 5K.
                              I went from HT to muddys so road noise was noticable but I dont think its that bad, infact I recently used a mates XR8 on a road trip to Victoria and thought his tyre noise was just as bad.
                              Road manners I cant fault, they handle as good as any other 4wd tyre I've driven on wet or dry and cant get any better off road with reports of KM2 being better.
                              Check out my photos http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=6289
                              Last edited by Zed; 14-04-10, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X