• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I got my NX coated before I picked it up and while I know you pay top dollar for after market stuff from the dealer, I've been very happy with the way the car looks after 4.5 years.

It's very smooth to touch and I use Maguires NXT on it every few months. It looks showroom condition after that.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

Originally posted by kod10 View Post
      Would you recommend using a Nano/Ceramic paint protection applied to a brand new Pajero Sport (due for delivery next week).

No.

For a start they're thin, like 1-2 μm. Regardless of what they tell you, something that thin, and clear simply cannot provide protection against UV. Think of it this way - for most clear coats the recommended dry film thickness is between 50μm and 60μm. Clear coats are formulated with a UV inhibitor, but need to be the correct thickness in order to work. If applied too thin (as is the case with many manufacturers who are trying to save money) then they simply will fail to protect the clear to base bond and the clear will fail. Yet most panel shops, or at least those that are accredited through their paint company, offer a lifetime warranty. Lifetime. With Axalta, our paint supplier, that means for as long as you own the car.

The coating is very hard and while it does penetrate into the top of the paint a little and resists scratching to a degree, once it does actually scratch it is the devil's own job to get the scratches out. I cringe when BMWs or Mercedes' that have been done in the factory with ceramic clear (the actual paint, not the aftermarket coating) come in for buffing and polishing. It takes twice the time and effort. Cars that have been aftermarket coated were just as bad, until I found out that the coating can be easily removed (something we have to do if painting that panel).

They're expensive and many require re-application after a period.

One of the reasons that I bought a Pajero (the real one), after having a couple of Tritons, is that the paint quality and thickness is vastly superior from Japan to what comes out of Thailand. My Pajero spends its whole life in the sun and the paint is as good as the day I bought it in 2013. On both Tritons the paint was failing before the 5 year mark. Paint thickness on the Pajero is typically 130μm, compared to as low as 70μm on the Tritons. Application and paint quality is also much better.

Keep your C̶h̶a̶l̶l̶ Pajero Sport out of the sun as much as possible. Wash regularly and use a high quality polymer polish applied 2-4 times a year. If you intend to keep it for a long time consider taking it to a paint shop and have them put two coats of premium clear over the whole exterior. Although it won't be cheap, it probably won't be as expensive as you think. It will look better than that horrible dry finish that they all have and will give the protection needed, as well as being better to maintain.
      Chris

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

In ear;ly 2013, I bought a new Pajero and a new Outlander, both white. I was very disappointed at the paint quality - it was as soft as and chipped very easily. after probably a year, however, the paint seemed to harden because stone chips are virtually zero now, yet I don't think that the roads I drive are any different.I can only assume that the paint has hardened.

I use Megulars products and both cars are garaged except of course when they are being driven. I normally polish the cars about twice a year. I note that both cars are made in Japan (according to the VIN code) so maybe the paint quality differs to those made elsewhere. FWIW, we had a 1998 TF Magna and a 2000 NL Pajero (1999 build). The NL paint was terrible compared to the Australian build Magna.

Comment

• kod10
          • May 2014
          • brisbane

Thanks NFT5 and Ian H.

Comment

• dragonjon
            • Feb 2018
            • sunshinecoast

I never use any type of soap just water and a few drops of eucalyptus oil

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
              • Mar 2018
              • Western Australia

Agree ddeane.
              Dish washing detergents are not recommended for washing cars. They do strip off any applied finish. Worse, they are efficient at removing any rust proofing that may have been applied.
              I have also been told that strong detergents such as dish washing detergent remove the chemicals that maintain the flexibility of the paint, eventually causing small cracks in the surface that allow in water leading to rust.

Comment

• gas55
                • Apr 2015
                • Port Macquarie

Originally posted by dragonjon View Post
                I never use any type of soap just water and a few drops of eucalyptus oil
                Couldn't agree more with the last two posts.
                Have never used soap on any of my cars in the last 40 odd years.
                Just a soft car wash brush on the end of the hose and a clean chamois.
                Why put expensive polish on and then wash it away next time?
                I stocked up on Meguiars polishes and waxes last time in the US at good old Walmart. Most about $7 there, nearly $30 here unless on special. I wax the car at least once a month.
                I bought a dual action sander and foam pads and got out all the swirl marks. You can see them with a torch. The result is below, the car is nearly 8 years old.
                Incidentally, the bumper I sprayed myself with rattle cans over 3 years ago. It had been 'professionally' done by a spray painter, only the wrong white!
                My first go at it, but I did a lot of research first, and took my time.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by gas55; 10-02-21, 09:49 PM.
                Greg

Comment

• geopaj
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by gas55 View Post
                  I wax the car at least once a month.
                  Shit!... waxed at least twice a month.

You must have more spare time than me!

Mines got over 330k km on the clock and is lucky to get washed 4 times a year and I think it’s been polished twice since I’ve owned it!

Still scrubs up ok I reckon
                  Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Kingmarz
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2016
                    • South Island New Zealand

I wouldn’t recommend using dishwashing detergent to my neighbors noisy dog! Unless you wanted to strip waxes of polymer and other protectants.
                    Waxing your truck at least once a month is far far too often and the wax should last for a whole year.
                    02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
                      I wouldn’t recommend using dishwashing detergent to my neighbors noisy dog! Unless you wanted to strip waxes of polymer and other protectants.
                      Waxing your truck at least once a month is far far too often and the wax should last for a whole year.

OMG.

I agree with you.

Comment

• johndavis125262
                        • Apr 2013
                        • brisbane

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                        And the best window cleaning detergent ever.
                        and glass in shower

Comment

• gas55
                          • Apr 2015
                          • Port Macquarie

Originally posted by Kingmarz View Post
                          Sorry, but it doesn't.
                          Greg

Comment

• gas55
                            • Apr 2015
                            • Port Macquarie

[QUOTE

Mines got over 330k km on the clock and is lucky to get washed 4 times a year and I think it’s been polished twice since I’ve owned it!

[/QUOTE]

Dang! I've seen the light.
                            Original post: "...how do I keep that showroom shine"?
                            Answer: Easy. Just polish it once maybe twice in 12-15 years, or 330,000k's, whatever comes first!
                            Serious!!
                            Greg

Comment

• gas55
                              • Apr 2015
                              • Port Macquarie

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                              OMG.

I agree with you.
                              OMG= Outstanding! Magnificent! Grand!
                              Aww shucks.....you guys!!
                              Last edited by gas55; 10-02-21, 09:47 PM.
                              Greg

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                                Valued Member
                                • Aug 2016
                                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by gas55 View Post
                                OMG= Outstanding! Magnificent! Grand!
                                Aww shucks.....you guys!!

It's a private joke as Kingmarz and I usually disagree.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X