• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FrasR
    • Apr 2019
    • Beechworth

PajeroSport as medium tug?

Hi Folks, considering purchase of near new or lightly used MitsiPS as a tow vehicle for my hybrid off rd camper (1150kg Tare / 1600kg GVM) . Current vehicle is a ‘16 Subaru Foz 2lt diesel CVT (108kW / 350Nm) but have learnt the hard way that although legal to tow my camper the 1800kg / 180kg rating is, like all manufacturers tow ratings, rather ambitious bullshit in practical application. The Foz handles towing my camper on flat to rolling hills, country gravel roads and hwys OK at 80-100kmh (Subaru official max tow speed is 80kmh,😏 &#128078 but with a decent hill/mtn to climb or serious head wind it needs to be “thrashed”. As for towing my camper off-road I dare’nt try for fear of breaking the Foz.
    Just “solo” me, no “SWMBO”, no kids, so don’t want or need a bigger, more expensive, thirstier 4x4.
    Other than fitting a HaymanReece towbar, RedArc EBC, & Anderson plug I’m also considering fitment of an iDrive throttle controller as minimum to start with in terms of accessories & mods.
    Please share your experience / advice of this vehicle if it relates to my scenario. Please inc fuel economy figures for on-road, off-road and towing up to 1600kg if available. Also customer experience with MMAL re servicing and warranty issues.

Thanks, FrasR
  • denisp
    • Dec 2018
    • Mt Eliza

No figures on off- bitumen use as yet but we have a New Age Wallaby 16enduro that tows well at 2.3+tonne behind the PS.
    Fuel consumption for a 1000km trip was about 15.65l/100km, on a range of roads from country roads, to hilly ones and then freeway travel. Took no notice of wind, but good weather and no serious blows involved.

Did fit rear air bag suspension to get the rig level as the springs in the PS do compress a lot under load.

Will be fitting Pedders standard height rear springs which are about 30% heavier duty than the OEM springs before we go off in a few weeks for an extended caravan trip.

Denis

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

1800kg would be comfortable behind the PS compared to the Subaru.
      180kg tow ball download will be ok if there is no weight in the rear seat or cargo area of the PS but if this is loaded then a set of upgraded rear coils and rubber cone spring assists will maintain an acceptable ride height and keep the rear suspension from wallowing.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• FrasR
        • Apr 2019
        • Beechworth

Thanks Denis & OJ,
        Reckon a Mitsi PS towing my VistaRV Crossover at 2/3 size & weight of the Wallaby, more aerodynamic front end and only 1600kg at max should get better than 15.65lts/100. Worst I got from the SubyFoz on a very windy day (strong gusty NWs) driving from Victor Habour through hills back to Adelaide was 12+lts/100km. From East of Adelaide hills back across the plains in NW Vic & Sth NSW through Mildura to NE Vic saw about 10lts/100 over 900km or so.

Will usually have moderate load in rear of vehicle (bike/s, WW kayaks, bushwalking gear etc) when towing but will see how much rear sags before deciding on upgrading coils etc. Sounds like there’s plenty of knowledge of what works what doesn’t on this forum.
        Cheers
        FrasR

Comment

• DID Dash
          • Aug 2016
          • Australia

I have had my Pajero Sport for around 9 months and 12000 kms. Done about 7 trips towing my 1500 ish camper with 4 up in the car which it does effortlessly. Best towing economy is 11.8L, average around 13 - 13.5L. I mostly leave it in drive as it just does such a good job finding the right gear for the job, but do like the paddle shift control on the twisty stuff or offroad. Paj Sport is the best tow vehicle I have owned. As for warranty and customer service, I have never had the need even though the wife and I have only owned Mitsubishi’s for more than 25 years. I would say go for it.
          17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• FrasR
            • Apr 2019
            • Beechworth

Good to hear no issues with MMAL

Thanks DID Dash,
            I’ve only owned one Mitsi previously, a mid ‘90’s Express 4wd van on LPG. Had a good run out of it, no issues that I remember. Most of my research so far points to Mitsubishi’s being very reliable, vastly underrated & damn good value.
            I see they are recently selling heaps more of Tritons and Paj Sports, with both being in top ten selling vehicles last month. Triton third & PS 9th by memory. 25yrs of using same brand vehicles & no issues sounds great. Cheers FrasR

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X