Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Which Android tablet for integrating into Paj?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • birdd
    • Mar 2014
    • Bundaberg, QLD

Which Android tablet for integrating into Paj?

I'm considering getting an Android tablet for nav, entertainment, reverse camera, etc...

The Apps I'll be using are: Google Maps (plus maybe an onroad offline nav app so I don't have to hotspot my phone all the time), Hema Maps, Spotify (offline and online), a podcast app, Torque or a similar OBD app, plus others too...

I have always been an iOS user but I'm coming around to the idea of an Android tablet for the car due to their customisation ability...

I'm considering a 2nd gen Nexus 7 due to being a "native" Google tablet so getting the Android updates as soon as they come out from Google rather than waiting for the manufacturer to decide if they will release a bloated version 6 months down the track...

Also the Nexus 7 seems to have a good following with mods that make it easier to use in the car including USB OTG for connecting external storage and USB video capture cards for the reverse camera. It also has GPS built in.

I'm wondering if anyone else has integrated an android tablet into their car? Which did you use and why?

I'm also considering upgrading my 10yr or so old Pioneer Single DIN head unit for a newer one with steering wheel control input and Bluetooth...
    Last edited by birdd; 24-04-16, 01:28 PM.
    2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX
    MM Alloy Bullbar, MM Sidesteps, MM Tow Bar, Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards, Pioneer Platform, Supa-Peg Supa Wing Deluxe 270 Awning, 2x2.5m Kalahari Awning, 23" 144W CREE LED Light bar, Uniden UH8080NB, eBay Reversing Camera, Sony XAV-AX100 6.2" CarPlay/Android Auto Headunit, MM/Milford Cargo Barrier, Torqit Pedal Torq, Dual Battery (CTEK D250S Dual, PowerSonic 120AH AGM)
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

I haven't integrated a tablet, but I've used two for Ozi in my 4wds - a 1st generation Nexus 7 and an 8 inch Galaxy Tab 3. The Galaxy wins hands down (for me) because I can read it in landscape mode with polarising sunglasses, and it has native support for USB OTG.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• birdd
      • Mar 2014
      • Bundaberg, QLD

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      I haven't integrated a tablet, but I've used two for Ozi in my 4wds - a 1st generation Nexus 7 and an 8 inch Galaxy Tab 3. The Galaxy wins hands down (for me) because I can read it in landscape mode with polarising sunglasses, and it has native support for USB OTG.
      Perfect that's the sort of advice/info I am looking for...

How is the OS support for the Galaxy Tab 3? Does it get updates on time? And how long will it be sorted? The nexus 7 2nd gen appears to still be getting the latest OS updates...

How did you find the difference in screen size between 7 and 8? Is it a huge difference or just a nice upgrade or could never use a 7" again?
      2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX
      MM Alloy Bullbar, MM Sidesteps, MM Tow Bar, Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards, Pioneer Platform, Supa-Peg Supa Wing Deluxe 270 Awning, 2x2.5m Kalahari Awning, 23" 144W CREE LED Light bar, Uniden UH8080NB, eBay Reversing Camera, Sony XAV-AX100 6.2" CarPlay/Android Auto Headunit, MM/Milford Cargo Barrier, Torqit Pedal Torq, Dual Battery (CTEK D250S Dual, PowerSonic 120AH AGM)

Comment

• stevemc181
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Thornlie/Perth

I use a Nexus 2013 model and it is a pain not being able to view the screen with polarized sunnies on while in Landscape orientation. I also find the 7 inch screen a little too small for Ozi and reading waypoints etc. I've been waiting for a decent all in one Android head unit to be released. Something like this 10" unit from Joying https://www.carjoying.com/android-5-...ring-link.html

Still too many bugs at the moment, but give them a year or so and hopefully we will have some good units on the market. I have also thought about integrating a tablet, but the amount of work involved to integrate it with the Rockford and steering wheel controls, reverse camera etc is still not worth it. Slow boot times seem to be the main issues with the Android units, most taking around 30 seconds or so to boot up. XDA developers forum has some good info on various android head units.
        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• birdd
          • Mar 2014
          • Bundaberg, QLD

Id prefer to get a separate Android tablet rather than an Android head unit. It's more likely to be updated a bit more frequently and run a more current version of the OS. Also can always fail back to the head unit if something goes wrong with the tablet.

I'm also thinking a head unit with Bluetooth A2DP would allow the basic steering controls of volume up and down and play/pause and next and previous which can control the tablet as well via the head unit.

My thought is a more modern single DIN head unit with the steering control input (my Pioneer is older and doesn't have that input) and Bluetooth with A2DP. Then mount the head unit in the pocket just under the Climate Control. This would the double din "hole" so I could fabricate a mount for the tablet to slot in there...
          2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX

Comment

• grhyso
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Perth

I currently have a galaxy tab s 10.5 but it's too big to mount in the car in my opinion. I haven't seen an update since I bought it about 9 months ago and doubt I ever will, like phones once the new model is out they support that instead. Only really google nexus continue to get updates as they come out. I think you're putting too much interest in updates, as long as the thing works why change it?

to my knowledge pretty well all android tablets support usb otg, I know mine does.

also I believe Kenwood/JVC and clarion both make android head units. My parrot is ok, not fantastic, too much I wouldn't give up though moving to a standard unit. You can also get android working on a normal unit, autotainment in Perth do this and have shown me but personally I didn't rate it highly, it could be better now 2 years on.
            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

I have a galaxy tab 3 (7"). Its still on android 4.4.X I am still waiting for an update to 5.0+
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• grhyso
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Perth

Never going to happen. They're 2-3 models on from the tab 3, Samsung are terrible at it as they have so many models. My last two phones, galaxy s3 and s5 have recieved a total of 3 updates in 4 years between them and I'd say two of those weren't for the better, they slowed the phones and added extra bloatware.
                2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

My Tab 3 came with 4.2.2, it's currently nagging me to update to 4.4.2.

Just a little bit behind...
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• birdd
                    • Mar 2014
                    • Bundaberg, QLD

Yeah that the sort of thing I want to avoid...

I wonder if the Nexus 9 would be a better choice? Can the screen on it be read with polarised sunglasses on?
                    2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX

Comment

• stevemc181
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by birdd View Post
                      Yeah that the sort of thing I want to avoid...

I wonder if the Nexus 9 would be a better choice? Can the screen on it be read with polarised sunglasses on?
                      I doubt it, as the Nexus 9 uses an IPS Lcd screen that has polarization. You need a device with a super a@*$#@*$#@*$#@*$#d screen.

Edit: Above should read Super A-M-O-L-E-D, Forum banned word filter sucks and won't print anything with M-O-L-E in it
                      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• robdavo
                        • Dec 2013
                        • Wantirna, Vic

Hi birdd
                        I use a Galaxy Note 8 tablet running 4.4.2 for my needs, and it incorporates Oziexplorer, HEMA Explorer, HERE maps, iGO navigation, Google Maps / Navigon, Wikicamps, and has inbuilt GPS. This model doesn't have its own SIM card, but I just link via bluetooth to my phone if I need on line maps etc.
                        With navigation, progs also link via bluetooth to the car audio system if required. I also have a WIFI reversing camera fitted to my van which links with the tablet. Had tried bluetooth prior, but wifi has much better connection and greater distance. Can also run Torque app to OBD2 dongle and have all the extra features for music (link to car audio), photos and camera etc. The thing about Android is that their is so much software readily available for them.
                        Where I mount this unit is small enough not to interfere with my vision, but also gives the "co-pilot" a good view of where we are, and where we're headed. Puts her at ease a bit. Blocks my info on things like distance to empty, fuel usage etc, but that is not really an issue. At least I still have the rear view for the car, plus full audio display etc.
                        Attached Files
                        MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.

Comment

• birdd
                          • Mar 2014
                          • Bundaberg, QLD

My factory head unit was just the basic single disk CD player with no Bluetooth or AUX input. So I replaced that with my old Pioneer DEH-6850MP (about 8-10years old) which doesn't have BT or steering wheel input but it does have AUX and iPod/iPhone input. I'd like to replace it with a more modern headunit with Bluetooth A2DP and steering wheel control input.

I would then connect the Android tablet, of which one I'm yet to decide, probably via BT A2DP so I can control the next/previous, play/pause all from the steering wheel again...
                          2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX

Comment

• grhyso
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Perth

Originally posted by robdavo View Post
                            Hi birdd
                            I use a Galaxy Note 8 tablet running 4.4.2 for my needs, and it incorporates Oziexplorer, HEMA Explorer, HERE maps, iGO navigation, Google Maps / Navigon, Wikicamps, and has inbuilt GPS. This model doesn't have its own SIM card, but I just link via bluetooth to my phone if I need on line maps etc.
                            With navigation, progs also link via bluetooth to the car audio system if required. I also have a WIFI reversing camera fitted to my van which links with the tablet. Had tried bluetooth prior, but wifi has much better connection and greater distance. Can also run Torque app to OBD2 dongle and have all the extra features for music (link to car audio), photos and camera etc. The thing about Android is that their is so much software readily available for them.
                            Where I mount this unit is small enough not to interfere with my vision, but also gives the "co-pilot" a good view of where we are, and where we're headed. Puts her at ease a bit. Blocks my info on things like distance to empty, fuel usage etc, but that is not really an issue. At least I still have the rear view for the car, plus full audio display etc.
                            What sort of mount are you using and how does it go offroad? I was contemplating getting a ram windscreen mount but I'm worried that it won't be strong enough to prevent a 10 inch tablet vibrating on corrugations and it'll take up so much of the windscreen.

Comment

• robdavo
                              • Dec 2013
                              • Wantirna, Vic

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                              What sort of mount are you using and how does it go offroad? I was contemplating getting a ram windscreen mount but I'm worried that it won't be strong enough to prevent a 10 inch tablet vibrating on corrugations and it'll take up so much of the windscreen.
                              Hi Grhyso
                              My mount is just a basic windscreen mount, but the bottom the mount rests on the lip at the top of the main display, and is under a little bit of tension to hold it fairly securely. However, I have not used this in anything other than rough dirt/gravel roads, and not in full on 4wding. I can stop further movement by using a nylon stap across the unit and fixed via stick on velco pads to the dash, but usually only need this on very corrugated roads.
                              The ram mounts are supposedly very good but expensive, with the better option if you can accommodate it, is to use a more solid arm mount off the floor, seat mount or centre console. A 10" at windscreen level would I think block too much, especially in off road, and a magnet for the boys in blue.
                              MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X