Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Towing Ability 3100kg, yeh right!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • conquistador
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2012
    • sth east queensland

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
    Nobody has bothered to mention the fact that we're only dealing with a 2.4lt engine. Has everyone forgotten about the Nisan hand grenade? I'd want a few more cubes under the right boot before towing anywhere near that weight..
    Downsizing affecting everything even heavy haulage. It will depend on the new 2.4 versus the preceeding 2.5s duty cycle.

Id be more concerned about whether the gearbox is rated for higher torque loads than the 5speed jatco which was why the prevoius auto challenger engine was derated to 350nm. Given the new engine has 430nm id say its at least that much better.

Comment

• Jeffwatkins
      • Apr 2015
      • Jamisontown NSW

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
      spoke with the regional manager for qld that went to the testing day and he mentioned that they got to tow a 1.8t weighted trailer with little to no effort with the new Pajero Sport ...

I wouldn't expect him to say anything different. But again that is 1.2 tonne less than MM claim.

Comment

• conquistador
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2012
        • sth east queensland

Originally posted by conquistador View Post
        Downsizing affecting everything even heavy haulage. It will depend on the new 2.4 versus the preceeding 2.5s duty cycle.

Id be more concerned about whether the gearbox is rated for higher torque loads than the 5speed jatco which was why the prevoius auto challenger engine was derated to 350nm. Given the new engine has 430nm id say its at least that much better.
        With the engine, theyve managed to get the power whilst reducing compression. That could be good for longevity. Id say mivec would help maybe boost pressures are up?

Comment

• 11T.Co
          • Oct 2013
          • Brisbane

Mitsubishi Motors have a towing guide that may help clarify some of this and there's also some good information here.

It seems pretty simple really, "you can't exceed the specified GVM!", this is also stated in every owner's handbooks.

However, by the time you get one of those in your hands it is already too late for some people as they would have already bought their dream vehicle based on the advertised towing capacity.

Unfortunately this type of issue is not unique to motor vehicle's towing capacity, it also applies to other vehicle features and everything else on the market that a consumer will purchase because truth in advertising is getting harder to find.

Surprisingly, it also looks like MM is pretty accurate with their towing specifications for the Pajero.

Comment

• Dusco
            • Nov 2012
            • Bairnsdale 3875

Gym upgrade with new hd springs?
            04 GLS NP 3.2 AUTO Diesel, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, 81L Aux Tank, UHF Roof Console, Alloy Bull Bar, Lovell 36mm Nitro Gas Shocks, Lovell HD 50mm Lift, Rear Poly Air Bags, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks, 65L Waeco CFX Fridge/Freezer, Kings Rooftop Tent.

Comment

• razorback481
              • Nov 2014
              • Lewiston SA

if you have got your van & or car that are not right with the specs supplied you should have some recourse of action

i have a freind that works for a caravan joint here in adelaide that sell the chevy & ford utes
              they now are assisting people to get their LT licences to keep the trucks at their rated specs

before you get a van you need to know your cars laden weight + the ball weight
              then you will be able to tow up to your gvm !!

i weighed our Prado once 2820kg half a tank of fuel, driver only only 80kg's left

in SA they are saying you can tow a heavier van than 2.5T gross as long as it doesnt weigh more than 2.5T while your towing it

200 series are worse off with only a 550kg payload including ball weight WHY WHY WHY would you do all that to any vehicle and restrict it
              so 5 passengers with baggage is over weight
              1 passenger with a 3 ton caravan 250kg ball weight, your going to be close and you need to get the wife & kids an another vehicle to have your trip

buy a pop top or a camper well under the max weight save the fuel and dont have too much room to pack the stuff you never use !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry my 15 seconds of ranting are up !

Comment

• Nab
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Perth

I tow my camper, approx 1.5T loaded, with my 04 DiD Pajero. It does OK but I wouldn't feel comfortable towing more than 2T with it.

Are the new 4x4s that much better to tow with? Are the brakes and tyres able to take the extra weight??
                SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• fester
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                  Are the new 4x4s that much better to tow with? Are the brakes and tyres able to take the extra weight??
                  In a word NO. Brakes and tyres are the least concerns in most cases. There is far more to a good tow vehicle than brakes and tyres.

razorback, it's simple marketing bullshite and unfortunately not illegal or a direct misrepresentation. It's all smoke and mirrors stuff. Technically you could tow things of the rated limit.....as long as you add no weight to the tow vehicle including say minimal fuel load, no luggage, no passengers and a jockey for a driver.

Unfortunately the legal reality is a long way from the paper legality.

Comment

• Goodsy
                    Who ya gunna call....
                    • Dec 2010
                    • Hervey Bay

When talking about engine size 4x4 weight, GVM and then towing capacity.
                    Just remember the 2.5L TDi Landrovers.

Wheelbase (mm) 2540
                    Gross Combination Mass (kg) 6720
                    Kerb Weight (kg) 1960
                    Payload (kg) 760
                    Gross Vehicle Mass (kg) 2720
                    Towing Capacity (braked) (kg) 4000

All with 83kW...........................
                    Last edited by Goodsy; 04-01-16, 11:45 PM.
                    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• fester
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Gympie Qld

Is there a point to that story. I dont recall them being lauded as an especially great tow rig.

Comment

• SwampFox55
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Melbourne

PS Towing Weights for 2-up ops

Using most of the additional weights that I travel with in my PB when towing my van they work just fine when transposed to the PS for a max weight van. Our extra gear (clothing, food, water and junk) all goes in the van and that’s still 130kg below the ATM; for normal month long trips. The kerb weight below is from the Mitsy website specs sheet for the base model. If you’re working with an empty weight a SG of 0.85 for diesel is fine. The only difference for me normally is that I carry about 30kg more in the car because I’m well under the PB’s GVM. However, the following figures prove that the PS weight limits can be used practicably at the limit, as far as the initial weight calculation is concerned.

http://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/driving/towing/trailer-and-tow-vehicle-specifications

Item & Kg

PS base Kerb wt (incl oil, coolant, fuel, etc) 2045
                        Tow bar 35
                        Nudge bar 8
                        Minor extras 10
                        Sub total (revised kerb wt) 2098
                        Driver dressed 98
                        Tools misc, in car 8
                        Sub total (new basic wt) 2204
                        Pax female dressed 67
                        Water in car 8
                        Bags in car 5
                        Misc in car 3
                        Dog and carrier 13
                        Sub total 2300
                        Van’s ball wt (max case) 310
                        Sub total 2610 well below the GVM of 2710
                        Van's GTM (weight on van’s main wheels) 2790
                        Sub total 5400 at GCM

Now if you want to carry more, get a bigger car. Only the inexperienced would contemplate dragging a 3.1T ATM van around the country with a PS. Consider that weight more suitable for hauling the luxury cabin cruiser down to the boat ramp every fortnight. I was once told by a very experienced ‘old fart’ that a sensible maximum ATM for long distance hauling is ¾ of ‘the car manufacturer’s maximum towing capacity.’ Then there’s always some fat available for the extras you might want to take along occasionally eg to put in the tow car. Have a laugh with Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball in ‘The Long Trailer’ and all will become clear. They had these same issues over half a century ago. Want an easier drive, then throw out some rocks! Every time my wife gives me backing instructions, I think of Desi and the carport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxx4ijz3aig

Can anyone spot the potential anomaly when all hitched-up as per the PS’s OM and on the road with 310kg on the ball? The clue is, it’s not an issue for the Colorado 7 in standard trim! It’s the reason for a bit of fat in the actual loaded GVM above (2610kg) when towing the max ATM, when compared to the placarded GVM limit (2710kg). Those Mitsy engineers new what they were doing when they put in 100kg of fat! It’s important!

Cheers,

SF55
                        Last edited by SwampFox55; 11-08-18, 05:09 PM.
                        White 2012 PB auto with Mitsy towbar, Smart Bar, CB radio, Philips +100% high-beam bulbs, +60% low-beam, 265 J-Trax ATs, headlight protectors, rear dust deflector, mudflap extensions & ALDI roof racks.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2014
                          • Wellington,New Zealand

its all smoke and mirrors.The manufacturers are all trying to claim the max towing weight,it doesnt matter that the car cant have anything else bar the driver,the car can still tow a 3100 kg load.
                          I reckon the real responsibility here lies with the buyer and seller of the towee.They are the ones pushing the boundaries with their caravans,and regardless of the figures it is up to the person driving the vehicle to know the facts.
                          In my opinion to tow something heavier than yourself in a "normal" car or suv is madness.
                          The max towing weight is a maximum not a target!
                          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                            Valued Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

The dual cab utes (Colarado, D-Max, etc) are some of the worst "offenders". Their payload and specs are fairly dismal and a bit misleading.

Once the payload is used up, they are nowhere near 3.5 tonnes towing ability.

Cheers,
                            Sally
                            SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• fester
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • Gympie Qld

Not sure really what you're getting at SF as your end result is round about what we have already said and well below the marketed 3100.

Turn that into a family of 4 with kids and the car kitted out as many 4Wd's are and the numbers get even worse.

Originally posted by SwampFox55 View Post

Item & Kg
                              QE base Kerb wt (incl oil, coolant, fuel, etc) 2045
                              Tow bar 35
                              Nudge bar 8 Bullbar 55kg
                              Minor extras 10 Dual battery 30 kg
                              Bash plates what 5kg
                              Sub total (revised kerb wt) 2098
                              Driver dressed 98
                              Tools misc, in car 8
                              Sub total (new basic wt) 2204
                              Pax female dressed 67 2 kids say 70 kg
                              Water in car 8 Luggage to cover kids crap and all the extras most
                              Bags in car 5 families cart about ????????
                              Misc in car 3
                              Dog and carrier 13
                              Sub total 2300
                              Van’s ball wt (max case) 310
                              Sub total 2610 well below the GVM of 2710
                              Van's GTM (weight on van’s main wheels) 2790
                              Sub total 5400 at GCM

Not nearly the margin you suggest based on your weight conscious self and unfortunately there is a significant number of unknowledgeable caravanners hitting the roads every year.
                              Bet you there is not a car dealer in the country who sits down and explains the true meaning of their class leading tow ratings to potential buyers.
                              Easy to say buyer beware and research but those without any knowledge wouldn't even know where to ask, hence they ask their dealer and he says well look we have a rig capable of legally towing 3.1t. It's not till they rock up to buy the van that they (hopefully but not always) find out the real truth.

Comment

• dhula
                                Valued Member
                                • Sep 2012
                                • South of Perth

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                                When talking about engine size 4x4 weight, GVM and then towing capacity.
                                Just remember the 2.5L TDi Landrovers.

Wheelbase (mm) 2540
                                Gross Combination Mass (kg) 6720
                                Kerb Weight (kg) 1960
                                Payload (kg) 760
                                Gross Vehicle Mass (kg) 2720
                                Towing Capacity (braked) (kg) 4000

All with 83kW...........................
                                And 265Nm or there about IIRC

Being able to change low range <--> hi range on the move made things bearable
                                Last edited by dhula; 08-01-16, 08:07 PM.
                                2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                                2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X