• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gus
    Administrator
    • Mar 2008
    • Traralgon. Vic

Review - DP Chip Gen 3 3.2DID

Hi all most will know I've had a D'tronic chip in my Paj for years & was happy with its performance. However due to adding the 3" system I noticed I was blowing a little extra diesel out the back.. On top of that Safari who produced the D'tronic no longer do so & as Creighton's sell the DP Chip & I have recommended them to a few mates who purchased them of Jenene.
    Talking about what they think of them, all report they are wrapped. So doing a little research namely speaking to Jenene re feedback from their customers re reliability, backup & ease of use as in fitting & playing with the settings, (well let’s be honest they say plug & Play), & the fact DP Chip will factory set them up for the 3" exhaust got me thinking about updating. Well a good mate who has a Paj mainly used to tow his van with standard exhaust was more than interested in buying my old chip which as I said is 100% fine with the standard exhaust which he has no intentions of changing so Job done!

Now this will be a long term review, so it will not be rushed & at present both my wife's parents are unwell which is taking priority!

1st impressions are all good no more smoke out the back! Very smooth at idle & very responsive with no sign of turbo lag economy seems a little better but I'll wait a while longer as I haven't had the chance to use Off Road, towing or trips.

Will edit & move to Review when I can..

Oh & my wife even noticed it was smoother & more responsive too

Gus.
    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

I am going to get in before the usual knockers start posting.......I claim BS .
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• XXXceed
      • Oct 2013
      • Adelaide

Look forward to your on going review of this unit Gus, also hope your wife's parents get better soon.
      2004 NP exceed DI-D: Bilstein/Lovell 2"HD lift, Bushskinz guards & sliders,Tigerz 2x2.5 awning, Toyo Opat 2's, Safari snorkel, SR 3" exhaust

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

Seems Gus can get away with any mod to his PJ.
        I wish.............
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Gus
          Administrator
          • Mar 2008
          • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
          I am going to get in before the usual knockers start posting.......I claim BS .
          Dave
          Just for you Pickle this will be a no BS review, I'll even go as far as saying now the only figures quoted will be as DP Claim! Why? because we all know that it depends on the operator of Dyno's, how many runs ..

What this will be all about is how it performs out on & off the road, towing the 2 ton off road van & economy I also have the benefit of replacing the old D'tronic chip to compare it with.

Originally posted by XXXceed View Post
          Look forward to your on going review of this unit Gus, also hope your wife's parents get better soon.
          Thanks mate

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
          Seems Gus can get away with any mod to his PJ.
          I wish.............
          Your Paj has more than a few mods Tim

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• arpencrous
            • Dec 2013
            • Central Queensland

I will follow this closely as it is on my "do to list".
            Pete
            NW VRX MY14, Ironbark, MMA weather-shields, MMA rubber mats and cargo liner, SUPERTRIM neoprene seat covers, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB Intensity LED Driving Lights, WARN Magnum 10000LBS Winch, OME 2" Lift,
            Lots more to be added...

Comment

• Gus
              Administrator
              • Mar 2008
              • Traralgon. Vic

arpencrous Mine is pre common rail but will give you an idea.. The DP Chip for yours is even more user friendly, (as in plug & play).

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Goodsy
                Who ya gunna call....
                • Dec 2010
                • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                Your Paj has more than a few mods Tim

Gus.
                They were all essential items.
                .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• pajflareo
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Syd

Im very happy with my DP chip, which has been installed for about a week or so aswell. Would love to get it dyno tuned, just to be confident i have the best tune, but i agree it all but eliminated the turbo lag characteristic of this engine.

I also have a 3" exhaust and found it reduced the smoke but increased the diesel smell at idle, which i can live with.

One thing i have noted, is that after having the chip in for a few days the engine ECU adjusts to the new tune and you can crank the tune up a little further without getting the same lumpy idle and sticky revs that you would have got on the same setting a few days prior.

It will be good to read a comprehensive review from someone with experience of 2 different chips on the 1 engine! Following with interest!

Comment

• Gus
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Traralgon. Vic

pajflareo Excellent please feel free to add your impressions too!

What model is your Paj Pre or Common Rail ?

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• pajflareo
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Syd

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                      pajflareo Excellent please feel free to add your impressions too!

What model is your Paj Pre or Common Rail ?

Gus.
                      Pre-common rail, 3.2 DiD NM, so very similar in that respect! Although mine is only a GLX, and I suspect a pre-release 3.2 demo vehicle as it has a JUL 00 build date

But yes I will share my thoughts once I get some serious driving done with the chip in there!

Comment

• Gus
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2008
                        • Traralgon. Vic

Interesting 00' as you say 3.2DID wasn't available till around Aug 02 in the NM prior to that it had the 2.8...

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Gus
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2008
                          • Traralgon. Vic

Impression after 1st 3Mths..

Home of DP Chip! :

Berrima Diesel Service is regarded as one of Australia’s Premier 4WD Diesel Turbo Centres. (A quick google will confirm this), They have over 65 combined years in the industry.

My friends at Creighton's have sold many DP Chips for all makes & Models so after having the 3" Exhaust & doing my research I decided that was the way I needed to go.

And after 3 Months I can report it was the right choice,

Stock the NM Paj was 121KW 373NM

with The Dtronic, (quoted), 139KW 430NM

And DP Chip, (quoted), 138KW 429NM

So in a stock vehicle the Dtronic & DP Chip are similar.

As I've said prior to the 3" Exhaust I was happy enough with the Dtronic but after not so economy started suffering & blowing smoke..

Big improvement with the DP Chip being factory tuned to the 3"exhaust I can feel the difference with increased power through the gears & economy has returned to about the same around town, (prior to exhaust going on), but a little better on trips fully loaded, with no flat spots or smoke! I'm not going to get into actual dyno tunes & graphs as it all comes down to who is doing it at what revs & how many runs.. What I will say is that the improvement on my paj is better than the quoted figures due to the 3" exhaust & the chip being tuned to it!.
                          Very simple to Adjust, user friendly instructions.

I'm looking forward to towing the off road van on a trip with it but that will be down the track a little as my wife's folks are both unwell. However on a quick trip to Brissy to see my Daughter & Grandson we were fully loaded up, (no van), the Paj had no problems & economy was brilliant averaging about 10.6ltrs/100ks for the trip.. Yep I've still got that grin on my dial not to shabby for a 12year old Paj...

Oh & just for my own interest sake I went for a drive to Mornington & back without the DP Chip & boy what a difference from not having a Chip.

If your thinking about Chips my Paj is 12 years old & had 1 on it for at least 10 of those years without problems. My advise is to go with a good brand name research & go from there...

Yes I would recommend the DP Chip happily.

Long term review, so please those with DP Chips please feel free to Add your findings.

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Gus
                            Administrator
                            • Mar 2008
                            • Traralgon. Vic

Hi all, got the chance to hook the off road van up & head down to Blairgowrie on the Mornington Peninsula over the long W/End.

Our Off Road van is just on 2Ton loaded. Leaving early Saturday we copped the rain which only stopped on arrival.. So I had the Paj in 4WD High & on the way home we struck the long W/end traffic so stop start till we hit the HWY.. Very happy with the economy 15.4Ltrs/100Ks in that ony 80ks was without towing!

The DP Chip has made driving the Paj while towing in stop start traffic smoother & on the open HWY comfortably sitting on the speed limits holding 4th easily on the hills, (remembering I tow in sports manual mode).

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Gus
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2008
                              • Traralgon. Vic

About time I updated how the DP Chip is going....

We towed the Off Road Van to Rockhampton over the School Holidays, about 4,400ks of towing averaged just on 16.2 L/100klms which I was pretty pleased with worst we got was 18.5 but I was pushing it along at the 110 limit over 400klms, the best I got was a about 14.5 sitting on 95klms/hr..

Since changing to the DP chip (while towing), I've found it holds 4th & speed up hills...
                              At 95klm/hr I'm sitting on 2,100-2,400 revs I found if I selected 5th the revs would drop only 100-200 revs & noticed any small hill would see the vehicle speed drop & the revs increase also the Paj felt better/stronger towing in 4th. On the odd occasion I sat on 110klms/hr in 4th 2600-2800 revs if up shifted to 5th, (on the flat no wind), the revs would drop 300-500 revs, (gradually to maintain speed at 110 the revs increase), again the Paj felt better in 4th & after doing the 400klms which gave the worst economy I'll be sticking to towing in 4th in the future unless down hill or wind assist on the flat.

Overall still very happy with the DP Chip

Gus

Vehicle Sold

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X