• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Trailer storage winch

We did some renos at home so the old trailer parking spot is no longer there and I was sick of having the trailer take up room in the carport. So I decided to make a winch to pull it up vertically against the shed.

Images thanks to PostImage

I used some 60x60x5mm angle and welded a heavy duty D shackle onto it. This is the pully!

I welded them to the C channel of the carport and touched it up with some matching paint. Welding upsidedown sucks, put lots of little holes in my shirt...

The full setup. I was going to use an electric winch but a $27 boat handwinch was hard to beat! Ignore the black soot mark on the white paint, I was welding it at 9:30PM And I thought a piece of duct tape would stop the timber from being scorched, almost burnt the carport down haha!

The winch in use today. Have got some old Telstra rope tying it to the carport but will weld some chain to the carport to hold it up.

SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Bunnings sell cheap pulleys that you could purchase and attach to shackle. Lot more efficient and safer.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• starjunk
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2011
      • Sydney

Nice one! used to do a similar thing with my trailer, using a "brawn" brand winch. Hard work. In the end, I decided that for the amount of times I use the trailer nowadays, it's cheaper for me to hire one when I need it than to register my own.
      Victorians have it good, don't they.... Not needing to register trailers as long as they don't leave the state.
      I digress. Nice project, Nab, well done. I love the ingenuity on this forum
      '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
      '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
      '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
      '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• arrow
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2007

Victorians have it good, don't they.... Not needing to register trailers as long as they don't leave the state.
        Not entirely correct, only certain trailers are classified "exempt". Usually below a certain weight and less than the width of the towing vehicle.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Pakenham

Originally posted by arrow View Post
          Not entirely correct, only certain trailers are classified "exempt". Usually below a certain weight and less than the width of the towing vehicle.
          Has to be under 3m total length, but for $40 odd bucks a year for rego who cares. If you can't afford the 40, shouldn't be driving a 4x4. Only have to hire once a year and your trailer will pay for itself.
          Love the storage concept, bit OTT just to keep water out.
          99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Drewan
            • Apr 2017
            • Adelaide

I've never had to actually store my trailer .more a case of finding out who's got the bloody thing
            Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• Nab
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Perth

I didn't know Bunnings sold the pulleys, may have to modify it... Not sure it would be any safer but probably easier on my old shoulders...

I've always had a trailer, I hate having to borrow/hire them haha!!!!! Just sold my 8x5 and got this 7x4, now the missus can move it on her own when doing the gardening etc. Sometimes it won't be used for 3 months then it will be used for a week straight while mulching the garden etc, that way if I don't finish the job all the mulch can sit in the trailer until I get round to it!!
              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• craka
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                I didn't know Bunnings sold the pulleys, may have to modify it... Not sure it would be any safer but probably easier on my old shoulders...

I've always had a trailer, I hate having to borrow/hire them haha!!!!! Just sold my 8x5 and got this 7x4, now the missus can move it on her own when doing the gardening etc. Sometimes it won't be used for 3 months then it will be used for a week straight while mulching the garden etc, that way if I don't finish the job all the mulch can sit in the trailer until I get round to it!!

The ones at bunnigs are pretty ordinary, they are not smooth running and don't have any bearing in them.
                I would probably go to a marine shop for a decent pulley.
                NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                  • May 2017
                  • Freo ish

Originally posted by craka View Post
                  The ones at bunnigs are pretty ordinary, they are not smooth running and don't have any bearing in them.
                  I would probably go to a marine shop for a decent pulley.
                  Go to a rigging place and get proper blocks or of course a snatch block/bow shackle would work

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X