• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fluffy1985
    • Jun 2018
    • Woodcroft

Biggest tyres without lift kit 2017 NX

Hello all, I apologise if this has already been posted but I couldn't find it at short notice can anyone please tell me the largest tire size they have run on the factory 18 inch rims without a lift kit please I am looking at doing a 50 mm lift kit eventually but I would like to do my tires first. I am looking at doing 275 / 65 R18. Has anyone done the same or similar please?
  • oscaroo
    • Dec 2017
    • Sydney

In a related matter, how inaccurate is your Speedo now with the stock tires? I think that legally you can only upsize until it no longer under reports. In my case with an my18, it's only 2% slow. So, I can't upsize at all really.

I like to stay legal

Comment

• DaKaptin
      • Mar 2012
      • Brisbane, Qld

From my reading i am in a similar situation as you but i have procrastinated for much longer. I have come accross the following:

The largest r18 tyre i have seen fitted was with a aftermarket rim and something like 305/60r18 (48mm bigger). It was lifted i think. But i reckon if you are gonna go to the effort of buying rims then why not 17"?

The largest with stock rims witout any modifications is 265/65r18 and speedo is not gonna be a big issue there as the size increase is not that much (cant remember)

But apparently if you remove the mudguard thingy in front of the front wheels then you are clear for 275/65r18 without a lift or scrubbing. I do not know the legality of this action.

This last one is what i want to do eventually but once again no experience in the matter, I'm just going off maybe some more thorough forum trawling and reading.

Im waiting to change to 17" once the dunlops expire and the bank balance regenerates.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
      2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

1. A suspension lift on any vehicle with independent suspension does not increase the wheel and tyre clearance, all it does is change the relative ride height position within the suspension travel range. However a body lift, where blocks a placed between the body and the suspension mounting sub frames will increase the tyre clearance, these need to be engineered approved.

2.Keeping it legal is another problem as each state of Australia has a slightly different interruption of the National Light Vehicle Modification Code VSB-14.
        TAS, VIC and NT allow up to 50 mm combined ride height increase by increasing tyre diameter and/or suspension ride height increase, this can be done without certification or approval.
        WA is the same except you must have approval.
        SA only allow a 15mm increase in tyre diameter but SA have been looking at adopting VSB-14 since 2006! That said there are many vehicles on the road that run over diameter and over width tyre's and get away with it as there are no annual roadworthy checks in SA and Police are too busy collecting revenue from speed cameras and obscured number plates to worry about unroadworthy vehicles!
        NSW and Qld, allow up to 75mm increase in ride height without certification, as long as it is achieved by a up to 50mm suspension lift and up to 50mm tyre diameter increase.
        In all states the wheel track can only be increased by up to 25mm or 50mm (depending on which state the vehicle is registered but the top of the tyre must not protrude outwards past the top of the mudguard.
        The important thing is the "UP TO", as any increase in tyre diameter and or width, must result in the tyre not touching any part of the vehicles body, suspension or steering components through out the steering and suspension travel range.
        Also when changing the ride height position within the suspension travel range, you must also retain al least 2/3's of the original suspension droop travel.
        Failing to maintain sufficient droop travel will result is early and unwanted activation of ABS, ASC and TC systems both on and off road!

So applying the above to a Gen 4 Pajero, that has a factory ride height of 503mm front and 535mm rear, the maximum suspension lift is about 40mm front and 50mm rear depending on what brand front struts and rear shockers you use. Most aftermarket "50mm" suspension lift kits sold, only achieve up to a 40-50mm lift above standard ride heights anyway !

Tyre sizes approved for fitment to the standard 18"x7.5" rims are;
        265/60R18 775m diameter, factory tyre size.
        265/65R18 803mm diameter, 28mm increase in overall tyre diameter. These fit without rubbing.
        275/60R18 787mm diameter, 12mm increase in overall tyre diameter. These fit without rubbing.
        275/65R18 815mm diameter, 40mm increase in overall tyre diameter. These will rub at full suspension compression at 3/4 steering travel.
        285/60R-18 800mm diameter, 25mm increase in overall tyre diameter. These are mostly likely going to rub at full suspension compression and at 3/4 steering travel.

Other things to consider is the mid 2016 onwards NX's had a roughly 10% change in diff ratios so if you up the diameter of your tyre's the Automatic transmission's torque convertor will be unlocked more often resulting in higher fuel consumption and ATF temperatures. This is important to consider if you travel heavy, tow or go off road, a fix is installing a TC lockup kit and the MM4x4 Lockup or Auto Mate units that are designed and made especially for the Pajero, by a forum member, are the pick of the products available on the market.

So is the the lift and tyre upsize for appearances or to increase off road ability?

The most common upgrade for those going off road is a nominal 40mm front and 50mm rear lift, and up sizing tyre overall diameter to 803mm, using either 18" or 17" diameter factory rims and 265 wide tyre's, as there is a very limited selection of aftermarket rims that correctly and legally fit the Gen 4 Pajero. 17" diameter tyre's have a greater selection available and are also have a lower purchase price, and are slightly better off road as they have taller sidewalls that protect the wheel rim and tyre sidewalls from damage and allow for lower tyre pressures to be used.

OJ.
        Last edited by old Jack; 25-02-19, 01:49 AM.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• oscaroo
          • Dec 2017
          • Sydney

What are peoples thoughts on 245 wide tyres instead of 265?

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by oscaroo View Post
            What are peoples thoughts on 245 wide tyres instead of 265?
            First thing is why do you ask?
            The Gen 4 Pajero's with the 147kW engine have more than enough torque to drive this size wheel and one size larger.

"Sharkcaver" runs 245's from memory, if I recall correctly, it was only because 265's were not available in the tyre model he wanted to try at the time. I am not sure if he has been particularly happy with these.

I run LT245/75R16 Cooper ST Maxx on my PB Challenger as the actual road contact area is the same as the factory fitted P265/70R-16 HT Bridgestone 840 and it is the same diameter. I did this so it did to not induce extra load in the auto transmissions torque convertor unnecessarily. Now that I have Auto Mate fitted I will go up a tyre diameter and down another width to LT235/85R-16 when I replace my tyre's in the next 3 months or so.

245's in 17" & 18" are not very common, in standard diameter there are;
            LT245/70R-17 that are stock diameter of 775mm and are approved for rims 6.5" to 8" so the Gen 4 Pajero" 7.5" rims are fine.
            LT245/65R-18,that are stock diameter off 775mm and are approved for rims 7.5" to 8.5".

In 255 width but in oversize diameter the the selection of tyre's is even more limited choice especially in Australia.
            LT255/70R17 are 790mm in diameter and are approved for rim widths 6.6" to 8.5"
            LT255/65R18 are 790mm in diameter and are approved for rim widths 7" to 9".

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

The quoted figure is across the sidewalls, at the widest point, excluding any lettering moulds (the "section width"). The actual width across the face of the tread is typically less than the section width, but it isn't a fixed ratio, so the difference in tread width on the road (245 vs 265) may be negligible.

Have a look at this thread for a brief discussion - from OJ's 245s to my 285s, there was negligible difference in tread width.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• oscaroo
                • Dec 2017
                • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                First thing is why do you ask?
                I was asking because one day i'll need new tyres and i'm keeping my eye out for 17" rims.
                I was under the impression that narrow is good. But that seems to not be necessarily the case as it's much of a muchness.

Comment

• oscaroo
                  • Dec 2017
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  Have a look at this thread for a brief discussion - from OJ's 245s to my 285s, there was negligible difference in
                  tread width.
                  Excellent reading. Thanks

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

On the Gen 4 Pajero the 265mm +/- 10mm width seems to be the sweet spot for all round use and for the standard 7.5" wide rims. Both standard diameter and up a profile size are common sizes so this means a greater choice of tyre's you can fit.

OJ.

Comment

• oscaroo
                      • Dec 2017
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      On the Gen 4 Pajero the 265mm +/- 10mm width seems to be the sweet spot for all round use and for the standard 7.5" wide rims. Both standard diameter and up a a profile size are common sizes so this means a greater choice of tyre's you can fit.

OJ.
                      Thank you.
                      But how do I deal with my my18 Speedo already been fairly accurate

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by oscaroo View Post
                        Thank you.
                        But how do I deal with my my18 Speedo already been fairly accurate
                        Presuming you go with 265/65-18s: your speedo will still be fairly accurate, probably even more accurate that it currently is, but reading low rather than high i.e. where your actual speed is currently slightly lower than indicated, the new tyres will make your actual speed slightly higher than indicated. As an aside, have you checked the accuracy of your odometer? My NT's odometer is more accurate than the speedometer.

If you're really concerned about maintaining full compliance with the ADRs for speedometer accuracy, there are products available to alter the signal from the sender e.g. https://www.jaycar.com.au/corrector-...odule/p/AA0376
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• oscaroo
                          • Dec 2017
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                          If you're really concerned about maintaining full compliance with the ADRs for speedometer accuracy, there are products available to alter the signal from the sender e.g. https://www.jaycar.com.au/corrector-...odule/p/AA0376
                          Ah that's pretty cool.
                          I guess an autosparkie will know where to plug that in?

Comment

• surf54
                            • Jan 2018
                            • Port Macquarie

Our friend Anthony Pierre White is absolutely right in my opinion if he states that 17" rims is sort of the limit to overland. When tire pressures have to be lowered for a bigger footprint and/or more comfortable drive with 815 mm max rubber diameters in our case the rubber side wall height on a 18" will overheat too much on long washboard roads and can blow up to 3 tires in one trip like he shows in one of his videos showing a car left behind with exactly that.

Unfortunately all "real 4x4" cars end up with big rims these days that are unsuitable for an overland lifestyle, mainly for show and we have to buy a replacement. The NX can only take 17' alloys as discussed in other treads.

Comment

• oscaroo
                              • Dec 2017
                              • Sydney

Gday again.

I found this document online

Page 2 says:
                              " You must not fit wheels with rim widths less than the minimum width fitted by the vehicle
                              manufacturer for the particular model."

Does that mean that I can't fit the 7" wide triton wheels onto my NX Pajero because the NX ones are 7.5"

Or where do I find out what the minimum width wheels are for the NX?

Cheerio.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X