Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peter54smith
    • Jun 2011
    • Barry Vale of Glamorgan Wales UK (gs io81ij)

Me paji is a sick wee beasty

Hi ho all in the land down under my poor old paji decided enough was enough last week, and dump all her coolant out on the road. I have not had any problems other than coolant not returning from the overflow container, back to the rad. No overheating no steam out the tail end, and no antifreeze in the oil. But she started to overheat 2 miles from my QTH I didn't let it, the gauge went up from half to three quarters so I stopped and cooled the old girl down. Getting back home antifreeze was pouring out the overflow pipe and major bubbling was heard from the rad. I assume she has the dreaded paji head cracking syndrome. I have orderd a built up head and gasket set also new head bolts, from millners.co.uk the gasket, i have received plus the head bolts.The new gasket has 4 cut outs on the back is that the correct type for the 4m40T that has not had any engine work or mods carried out. As from info I have heard they make a number of different cylinder gaskets of different thickness maybe some one can steer me in the correct direction before repairs commence. Best regards from the uk
    The problem is not the problem its your attitude to the problem that's the problem.
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

I had similar happen in the Shorty. Was a tiny hole in the top tank of the radiator. My first attempt at problem solving was a new radiator cap- this led to the discovery of the hole. New radiator. All good.
    Hopefully as simple and easy for you too.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• peter54smith
      • Jun 2011

Hi there Alex no I'm afraid it's ether the cylinder head gasket or cylinder head, I replaced the thermostat and the rad cap all hoses are aok and there is no water loss other than from the pressure build up in the cooling system thats pushing it out of the over flow tank. From info received the 4m40T 2.8 power unit does suffer from micro cracks in the cylinder head at approx 140.000 klm pity mitsubishi didn't use a cast head instead of the lighter weight aluminium ones saving a small amount of weight has cost mk2 owners lots of cash, but thank you for your prompt reply best regards.
      The problem is not the problem its your attitude to the problem that's the problem.

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by peter54smith View Post
        Hi there Alex no I'm afraid it's ether the cylinder head gasket or cylinder head, I replaced the thermostat and the rad cap all hoses are aok and there is no water loss other than from the pressure build up in the cooling system thats pushing it out of the over flow tank. From info received the 4m40T 2.8 power unit does suffer from micro cracks in the cylinder head at approx 140.000 klm pity mitsubishi didn't use a cast head instead of the lighter weight aluminium ones saving a small amount of weight has cost mk2 owners lots of cash, but thank you for your prompt reply best regards.

I hate to say it but I suspect you are on the ball here..... I have seen many blown headgaskets that dont mix oil and coolant - infact often all they have done is presurise the radiator like you have mentioned
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• peter54smith
          • Jun 2011

Yes my thoughts I don't need a cylinder head gas leakage test it's going to be ether head or gasket or maybe both. But as I stated in my post, im wondering what gasket to be fitting as they make the cylinder gaskets in different thickness the one I have has 4 v cut outs on the rear end I assume that type is for heads that have not been skimmed, and the cutouts from one to four v on the back indicate the thickness of the gasket am I correct on that. So does the four v cutouts mean that it's OK to fit it to a brand new replacement head installation. ???????

Comment

• Roofchop
            • Jul 2018
            • Carool, Australia

Pretty sure you just match the new gasket to the old one.

IE if your old gasket has 4 V s then you need 4 on the new one!

Cheers
            Dave
            2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• Omnius
              • Jul 2018
              • Gladstone, QLD

A compression test on the cylinders or a cooling system pressure test will reveal the problem
              1994 NJ 3.0, Manual, KO2s, Alloy BB
              2009 NT VR-X, Auto, Nudge bar, Ryco Catch Can, Redarc SBI.

Comment

• peter54smith
                • Jun 2011

Re petes sick paji

Hi all just a quick post in ref to my 4m40 2.8 I have found it was a sticking thermostat that slightly overheated the engine. The cylinder gasket has blown and I have cracks in the 3rd and 4th cylinder head exhaust to water jacket, I have layed her up since Sept 4 th to get my parts together. Have now got a complete engine gasket set, new full built up cylinder head, new cylinder bolts, and exhaust manifold studs, I was going to attempt the repair myself but due to a severe lapse with my arthritic hips I'm unable to do it I'm looking around at the mo for a mechanic in the vale of glam. As it's only a labour charge I assume it's around an 8 hour job 4 to strip and 4 to rebuild I shall report back when it's sorted. Best regards from a uk pom

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X