• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gemster
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Gold Coast

You can get a sticker from Ebay.... 'If you think this is Slow, Wait till we go uphill'
    as for smashed windscreen..... Dash Cam....

LW....
    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Omnius
      • Jul 2018
      • Gladstone, QLD

It was the day I bought the paj so my dashcam was in the ford escape my wife was driving.
      1994 NJ 3.0, Manual, KO2s, Alloy BB
      2009 NT VR-X, Auto, Nudge bar, Ryco Catch Can, Redarc SBI.

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Omnius View Post
        Well the uhaul trailer I am hiring has a speed limit of 80km/h. It clearly states on the trailer not to exceed this limit.

I know that people in tassie don't like it if you don't do the 110. I was driving back from Hobart to Launnie at night in the rain with my two kids in the car and I was doing 90km/h. As I got to the overtaking lane another Pajero passed me doing about 130km/h and threw something out the window at my paj. It broke my windscreen.
        On my test drive the other day I had an idiot in a medium rigid truck tail gate me. Anywa I let him pass. 45 minutes later I get into Hobart and I am two cars behind him. So what is the point of it all?

Well the 12V 6g72 is not that powerful so I really don't have a choice when I come to a hill LOL.
        I will be courteous to other drivers. I will even put an '80' sign on the back of the trailer so when people ask themselves 'What the hell is this idiot doing?' if they can read then the question is answered for them.

I can tow. I used to drive a V6 turbo Landcruiser for work and we towed lots of stuff many hundreds of kilometres.

If you drive at 80kph on a 110kph road you deserve an ticket and shouldnt be on the highway. Trailer is obviously not suitable for towing. Maybe a better sticker on it would be "For urban use only".
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Merts
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2011
          • Bendigo Vic

A question and a comment.

Why are you running 95 RON fuel in a 1994 engine?

If your speedo was reading 95, you were probably only doing around 90km/hr, so I'd expect to get pretty good fuel economy at that speed.
          Merts
          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Omnius
            • Jul 2018
            • Gladstone, QLD

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            If you drive at 80kph on a 110kph road you deserve an ticket and shouldnt be on the highway. Trailer is obviously not suitable for towing. Maybe a better sticker on it would be "For urban use only".
            Dicko. It is an enclosed furniture moving trailer 12x6.
            I am going to do it anyway. If I upset people, so be it. There will always be those who think their right of way is more important than those around them. This is my only choice btw so if I get a ticket I will show the copper the contract of the trailer hire and get them to take it up with the company. This 80km/h limit is on every trailer I have seen that uhaul hire out.

My speedo is accurate. I have a gps.

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

Hey Merts, I used to run 95 fuel in my 3lt NJ..........got better fuel economy.

Just everyone's difference personal choice, certainly many arguements for and against regarding using 95 over standard.
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Omnius
                • Jul 2018
                • Gladstone, QLD

Yeah I will do another test with 91 soon to see if there is any difference.

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

When I had my NJ I did tests with 91 and 95, fuel economy worked out and costs based on the then prices of both octanes. At that time it was more cost effective for me to run 95. Not sure if it would be now as it greatly depends on the difference in cost per litre.
                  2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Merts
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2011
                    • Bendigo Vic

Unless an engine is specifically tuned to run on higher octane fuel, you won't (literally can't) get better fuel economy from it. Higher octane doesn't mean more energy, it just means higher resistance to 'knocking' or pre-ignition which is caused by high compression pressures.

Mid 1990s Mitsubishi petrol engines don't suffer from knocking when running on 91 RON fuel, so putting 95 in it might make you think it runs better or get's better fuel economy, but I can't see how it would (or even could) do so.
                    Merts

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Comment

• stumagoo
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                      Unless an engine is specifically tuned to run on higher octane fuel, you won't (literally can't) get better fuel economy from it. Higher octane doesn't mean more energy, it just means higher resistance to 'knocking' or pre-ignition which is caused by high compression pressures.

Mid 1990s Mitsubishi petrol engines don't suffer from knocking when running on 91 RON fuel, so putting 95 in it might make you think it runs better or get's better fuel economy, but I can't see how it would (or even could) do so.

You are 100% correct but it also seems that the higher octane fuels also come with additives now that increase the energy output.... Personally I dont seem to get any more performance or economy out of 98 from 91 but I do run it when I go off road because I spend a lot of time traveling slowly and reving it hard.... the NL has no knock sensor so I do it just to make sure I am giving the engine every chance it has of avoiding any knock from heat soak
                      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• arrow
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2007

If you drive at 80kph on a 110kph road you deserve an ticket
                        Too many people lose sight of the fact that it is a limit and not a target .....

Comment

• Omnius
                          • Jul 2018
                          • Gladstone, QLD

Higher Octane fuel has a cleaner burn. That is a fact. It can only help an engine to burn more cleanly and with more consistency across the piston head.
                          Well as OP I have additional comments.
                          Today I replaced the rear transmission mount and the gearbox and transfer case fluid.
                          I did some trials today. The Paj struggled up a hill in third when it really shouldn't. I am going to replace the fuel filter and clean the pre filter in the fuel tank.

Comment

• Omnius
                            • Jul 2018
                            • Gladstone, QLD

Originally posted by arrow View Post
                            Too many people lose sight of the fact that it is a limit and not a target .....
                            I agree arrow

Comment

• aussieguy
                              • Oct 2015
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by arrow View Post

RACQ’s Lauren Ritchie said like in Queensland, New South Wales drivers must keep left unless they want to overtake on multi-lane roads with a speed limit of more than 80km/h or unless otherwise signposted.

Sgt Judson wrote that while there is no specific offence for driving too slow, it can be categorised as driving without due care and consideration and could result in police action.

In QLD there is no specific lower limit but there are rules if you drive slowly without care, especially merging into traffic at a slower speed then the approaching vehicle and not accelerating to match speed and leaving a safe breaking distance between you and the car you merged in front of.

But YES you are right there are no direct limits to how slow you can drive.
                              05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                              02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• Merts
                                Valued Member
                                • Nov 2011
                                • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Omnius View Post
                                Higher Octane fuel has a cleaner burn. That is a fact.
                                You saying something is a fact doesn't make it so.
                                Higher octane fuels just resist knocking better. They don't burn hotter or cleaner.
                                Merts

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X