• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oscaroo
    • Dec 2017
    • Sydney

Hi Ryan.

I have exactly the same issues on my MY18 NX

I swapped the hoses around like the HPD guys suggested. It's been working ok.

However, the one that goes under the engine cover (ie the one from the bent metal bit that comes out of the engine) will brush up against the engine cover so you'll have to cable tie some pipe around it to prevent it from poking through.
    On a related matter, I couldn't put my can "straight up" so it's a bit angled with the bottom bit going to the drivers side more. I find that there's an equal amount of space at the bottom of the can from the cables and the metal tab of the engine next to it. However, the can does occasionally hit that metal tab and so my can is scratched on that side. *shrug.

Comment

• markc
      • Oct 2007
      • Brisbane Sth East

Hi guys, heres my install of the provent 200 can

Main advice I give is stick to the genuine pro vent can and filter.

I ran a Chinese copy on my NT initially and still had some oil mist bypassing the can. Switched to provent and it was perfect for the next 150,000klm till I sold the car.

I wouldn't trust cheap copy filters, if they are too course some oil mist will pass through, too fine and you run the risk of over pressurising the crankcase and blowing engine seals.

Of note is that volvo penta marine diesels come fitted with provent cans from new.

So for me that ment a provent 200 was on my new NX within the 1st week. 19,000 klm later and the lack of any oil in the hose post air cleaner is total proof, see the pick if my finger. On my old NT my finger pre provent was like Id sprayed it with wd40.

Only mod other than hoses for the install is moving the relay to the opposite side of the bracket.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by markc; 23-11-18, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• RyanR
        • Sep 2018
        • Sydney

Thanks Guys

I guess I'll swap the hoses

Initially wanted the provent but decided to go with HPD to leave the space for a snorkel(if ever)
        Last edited by RyanR; 23-11-18, 08:00 AM.
        My introduction:
        https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=62295

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
          • Nov 2018
          • WA

Hi,guys, I am a mechanic layman and I don't have the tools to install the kit. Would you guys recommend any place to do the fitting?

THX

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by liyunzhnen001 View Post
            Hi,guys, I am a mechanic layman and I don't have the tools to install the kit. Would you guys recommend any place to do the fitting?

THX

sHOULD BE A FEWEMBERS ON THE FORUM WHO MAYBE ABLE TO HELP OVER A FEW BEERS. jUST ASK IF ANYONE CAN HELP...START A NEW THREAD..
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• ticky
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

I recently bought the HPD can. I haven't had a chance to put it on yet. Soon
              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Kimmy
                • Aug 2014
                • Adelaide

Has anyone noticed after install oil catch can the engine a bit lost power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Kimmy; 27-11-18, 01:24 AM.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Kimmy View Post
                  Has anyone noticed after install oil catch can the engine a bit lost power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have no bearing on power loss.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• RyanR
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Sydney

No power loss noticed as it shouldn't make a difference.
                    Must say I'm still in cruisin' mode as I'm in the running I'm period
                    My introduction:
                    https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=62295

Comment

• Handy Andy
                      • May 2010
                      • Brisbane

catch can

Giddays boys,
                      Every time I read about catch cans I get a little bit keen and get real close to doing it but I cant help thinking how back in the 60's we originally thought PCV valves were a good thing and provided some upper cylinder lubrication. In the 80's and 90's and later (not that long ago) we were putting 2 stroke in the fuel for the same reason and probably 250 ml per tank. I guessing a catch can might collect 100ml of oil in 5-10,000 klm and that's while 500-1000 litres of diesel runs through the motor to cover those distances . The common rail set up and pumps no doubt being somewhat different to the old diesels. You blokes have me thinking again but I probably will stay with the oil fume lube believing it to be benefical.

The conversation and advice is always appreciated and I know which brand I will try should I make the move. I've had Pajeros since 2003 and two other diesel utes before and after perhaps if I ever have to pull one down I will know for sure.

Keep up the good work
                      Andy

Comment

• Danno47
                        • Jul 2018
                        • Townsville

At least block your EGR then, there's little debating what that does to your motor especially when mixed with oil fumes.

Comment

• Vicbitter
                          • May 2016
                          • Melbourne

Pardon my limited knowledge, but if a catch can is recommended, then why isn't it standard fitment?

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Vicbitter View Post
                            Pardon my limited knowledge, but if a catch can is recommended, then why isn't it standard fitment?
                            $$$

That's the cynical answer, and probably the largest part of it.

Theoretically, a blocked catch can could prevent the crank-case from ventilating properly. If pressure builds too high oil leaks can develop, or seals could be over-pressurised to the point of physical failure - which would lead to even bigger oil leaks.

So manufacturers can save money and avoid potential warranty claims by omitting them. Although I believe some truck and marine engines do come with catch cans as standard.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Handy Andy
                              • May 2010
                              • Brisbane

catch can

Gidday Danno
                              yes that was done from day one
                              Andy

Comment

• sharkcaver
                                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                                • May 2009
                                • Perth

Just an update. Changed oil yesterday and after 11,000Km's, the HPD collected 30 ml's of oil. Not a lot, but 30ml's less of fumey mess blocking my intake path.

It would take a hell of a long time to fill the can. So I am comfortable with just emptying it each oil change interval.
                                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X