• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • womble
    • Apr 2012
    • Adelaide

Broken CV?? and Supernselect

Hi All

So out at Jakem Farm today in SA today and while attempting to do a climb felt like a real loss in power. Others watching stated it didn't look like front wheels are turning.
    Upon inspection the front left side CV seems to have let go. CV Boot is stuffed and clunking sounds coming from it. So get pulled up the rest of the way as now only have rear wheel drive.
    Since going into rear only the front wheels are flashing on the dash with the centre diff lock flashing as well. During the drive home the only thing showing is the centre diff lock which is flashing and no wheels showing.

Whens starting the climb was in low range with diff lock engaged and traction control mod on

Any ideas??
    2016 NX GLX Pajero, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, Lightforce DL230HTX, D697's, EGR Plug and Play and The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift
  • miniyazz
    • Jul 2018
    • Alice Springs

Did you remember to put it in neutral to take it out of Lc? That would result in the centre diff lock flashing as it will not try to disengage until in neutral.

You shouldn't get transmission wind-up on tarmac as the front left axle shaft will rotate freely to take up any differences if the CV is busted (but able to rotate freely)

Someone who knows more may be able to offer other suggestions

Comment

• womble
      • Apr 2012
      • Adelaide

Yep the car was in neutral when taken out of low
      2016 NX GLX Pajero, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, Lightforce DL230HTX, D697's, EGR Plug and Play and The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift

Comment

• miniyazz
        • Jul 2018
        • Alice Springs

Only other thought is that unlocking the centre diff might necessitate the front driveshaft to be turned by the front wheels moving. With only one front wheel linked the front left axleshaft might turn in reverse (path of least resistance) instead of the front driveshaft being turned as would usually happen. However given that its unlocking not locking, I can't visualise how this could possibly be the case. If it were, you could fix that particular issue by using molegrips or something to prevent the front left axleshaft from turning while driving forwards a few metres, but I'm sure someone will have a better suggestion soon!

Comment

• womble
          • Apr 2012
          • Adelaide

Hi Guys

Got the dealer I purchased the car from looking at it on Thursday. When I was speaking to them about it they asked me if i just wanted a price to get it fixed. I said surely it's a warranty claim.
          So anyway they are going to go over it first.
          Has anyone had any luck claiming a CV on a warranty?

Comment

• 4wdboat
            • Jan 2014
            • Stockton, Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Is it possible the cv joint let go because of both traction control mod and diff lock on?
            Also how does one drive home with broken cv joint?

Regards andrew
            From the dealer:
            MY14 NW GLX-R Auto, graphite grey, tow ball, 18" alloys, rubber mats, window tinting.

Have add:
            ARB bulbar, Runva 11XP, Redarc Tow Pro, Milford Cargo Barrier, Bushskinz bash plates(intercooler, sump, gearbox and transfer case), Bushskinz rocksliders/sidesteps, two pairs of cross bar roof racks,

Comment

• marcthelegend
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2008
              • Gosnells, WA

If the front diff actuator is still engaged it will still allow you to go into 2H but throw up the dreaded flashing centre diff light after around 20min of driving.

If the front lights don't stop flashing at all when in 2H that would indicate a potential issue with the transfer case switches, anyway, see what the dealer says first as it could be something simpler.
              05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
              brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Hatto
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Mandurah WA

Yep I had a front CV joint go with under a year of warranty left. Right outer went and couldnt get it home. They actually ended up replacing both sides. Inner's and outer's. Two complete front axles! All covered under warranty. And I didn't even ask about the other side!
                Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• womble
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Adelaide

So Car is at the dealers now. They are taking photo's etc to send of to Mitsubishi for a Claim. Reckon that the front diff is probably stuffed as well as there is a fair bit of play as well as the stuffed CV.

Hopefully gets approved. They reckon it could also be around a 6 week wait if they have to get the parts in from Japan

Comment

• vladguan
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by womble View Post
                    So Car is at the dealers now. They are taking photo's etc to send of to Mitsubishi for a Claim. Reckon that the front diff is probably stuffed as well as there is a fair bit of play as well as the stuffed CV.

Hopefully gets approved. They reckon it could also be around a 6 week wait if they have to get the parts in from Japan
                    Did you take it out of LC before being pulled out?
                    Please call me Vlad.
                    -----------------------
                    MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• womble
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Adelaide

Yes Vlad I was in Rear wheel drive only

Comment

• Spikey
                        • Jun 2018
                        • Queensland

What does the traction control mod do? If you have traction control on when the diff is locked won’t that cause issues as the traction control May apply brakes to a wheel that is spinning and with diff locked the other wheel can’t turn independently.
                        Go hard or go home
                        Spikey

Comment

• vladguan
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Spikey View Post
                          What does the traction control mod do? If you have traction control on when the diff is locked won’t that cause issues as the traction control May apply brakes to a wheel that is spinning and with diff locked the other wheel can’t turn independently.
                          When the rear diff is locked, the front diff is still an open diff and as soon as once of the front wheel is off the ground and spinning, the other front wheel will not have any drive. Turning the traction back on in this situation is to prevent that from happening.
                          Please call me Vlad.
                          -----------------------
                          MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• womble
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Adelaide

So just a call from Mitsubishi dealer. MMAL has knocked back the warranty claim due to the fitment of aftermarket suspension which has put extra stress on the cv's.
                            There is now only 30mm between the factory ride height and the current ride height.
                            I have asked the dealer to dispute their response. I have been quoted by the dealer just under $5k to replace the front diff and CV's

Comment

• Axis
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2011
                              • Highett Vic

Originally posted by womble View Post
                              So just a call from Mitsubishi dealer. MMAL has knocked back the warranty claim due to the fitment of aftermarket suspension which has put extra stress on the cv's.
                              There is now only 30mm between the factory ride height and the current ride height.
                              I have asked the dealer to dispute their response. I have been quoted by the dealer just under $5k to replace the front diff and CV's
                              Ouch! Hope that they reassess in your favour. If not and you have to pay is it front locker time?
                              07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X