• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garyt
    • Aug 2007
    • Rowville

NP Brake Controller on NP

Can anyone suggest the best location to mount a Voyager Brake Controller unit in an NP Exceed? I previously had an NL and it had a perfect location just to the left of the steering column.

Thank you.
  • robandeb
    • Dec 2007
    • Bakers Hill 80km East of Perth

Hi garyt,

I have mine mounted directly below the steering column works well no problems,

Cheers Rob

Comment

• garyt
      • Aug 2007
      • Rowville

Does it ever get in the way? Have you where others mount there's?

Comment

• robandeb
        • Dec 2007
        • Bakers Hill 80km East of Perth

I have had no issues with it in this position this is where Caravan World put it.

Comment

• dandy
          • Feb 2009

I have mine directly below the steering column and haven't had any problems so far, but in saying that i have a prodigy and i can't see the display screen.

Comment

• brianwanless
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2008
            • Mackay Nth Qld

I took the ashtray out of mine, the unit just fits in and the wiring is hidden. Mine is a Techonsha Prodigy.
            NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

• garyt
              • Aug 2007
              • Rowville

Is the Prodigy about the size of the Voyager?
              Also - how is it mounted as it would be difficult getting into that space, I imagine?

Would mounting it in one of the gloveboxes be an option? I know you couldn't see the display but your passenger could.
              Opinions??

Comment

• hobbo
                Valued Member
                • May 2009
                • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Hi Garyt, I have mine mounted under L/H side of steering colume and while it out of the way have found it too hard to use down there. You need to have it where you can adjust it easily ! I am moving mine onto the consul so it easier to adjust. Also in the case of an accident you don't want the thing to rip your leg open.
                NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• garyt
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Rowville

Hi Hobbo,
                  I noticed your NP is on gas. How is that going? I have mine on gas as well but have had issues with the converter. It uses the system where it runs on petrol first up until a preset temp is reached and then it switches over. At the switch-over point - there is a pronounced hesitation and miss. After that - it runs perfectly. I have already had one converter replaced.

Comment

• Rayw1
                    • Jan 2009
                    • Pine Rivers Queensland

Originally posted by garyt View Post
                    Is the Prodigy about the size of the Voyager?
                    Also - how is it mounted as it would be difficult getting into that space, I imagine?

Would mounting it in one of the gloveboxes be an option? I know you couldn't see the display but your passenger could.
                    Opinions??
                    In a word NO!
                    You will find that you do need at various times to adjust the gain on your trailer brakes. I've found if the trailer brakes get wet they tend to grab really badly until they dry out. You just wind the gain down on your controller. Also there is a manual slide to use if the electronics fail and you are not stopping using the brake pedal.... Could be a bit "poohey" trying to reach over to the glovebox for the brake controller.

Having said that mine is mounted under the dash hard up against the console. It is not a problem for me (short arse) but I have wondered about opening your knee up on the controller in an accident.
                    2006 NP DiD auto -ARB bar, Warn winch, SCA driving lights, HD King coils.

Comment

• hobbo
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2009
                      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

LPG NM Power and the Glory

LPG system is non injected, its a Megagas Converter, Tank under seat well, starts on petrol then switches to Gas in 3 sec? I have had big trouble with contaminated LPG which destroyed 2 Converter Diaphrams, and backfiring but now its good. Tows Van with plenty of reserve power and 20 L/100 km @ 80km/h. 300-350km per 62 l tank around town without van, but can get very thirsty if towing fast or head wind, Fitted by Progas in Ridgehaven Sth Aust. Over all very happy with it. Was talked out of Injected as it was nearly 2k more.
                      NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• brianwanless
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • Mackay Nth Qld

I am not sure about the size of your unit. It was a bit fiddly to fit, after I took the ashtray out I screwed the unit bracket to the top of the ashtray opening and with a very small right angle ratchet screw driver attached the unit, after first connecting the wiring. I can read the screen from the drivers seat and also adjust it easily.
                        NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

• vinceb
                          • Aug 2007
                          • Banora Point NSW

Hi Rayw1.
                          Just bought a Tekonsha P3 unit.
                          Where did you connect the stoplight to?
                          From the instructions it appears to be connected to the brake light circuit not the stoplight switch.
                          Thanks.
                          Vince

2011 NT. Now to transfer dual batteries, fridge slide, uhf & slider plates from previous NP.
                          Gulf pop top outback caravan.Solar panels, off road hitch, bayonet fitting for outside cooking & yamaha EF2000.

Comment

• Muzza
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Nsw

Originally posted by vinceb View Post
                            Hi Rayw1.
                            Just bought a Tekonsha P3 unit.
                            Where did you connect the stoplight to?
                            From the instructions it appears to be connected to the brake light circuit not the stoplight switch.
                            Thanks.
                            Vince
                            I have the same unit and the stoplight wire is connected to the cold side of the brake switch, I have mounted my unit just a bit above the fuel filler release
                            Muzza
                            Muzza
                            2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                            2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                            2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• garyt
                              • Aug 2007
                              • Rowville

Is your knee constantly knocking it?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...