• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • insect_eater
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Canberra

avoiding hijacking - when to start a new thread

As a relative newbie to forums, I often feel confused as to whether to start a new thread or to continue a conversation on the same topic.

For example, I (and others) contributed to this thread https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...t=53288&page=3 , but the OP suggested the thread had got off topic (but in a healthy way!).

Are there some basic signs or criteria that can help members decide whether it is better to start a new thread or identify that a post is likely to 'hijack' a thread? I neither want to hijack thread, nor risk creating duplicate threads that cover the same ground, so any assistance would be appreciated.
    Last edited by insect_eater; 31-07-16, 10:17 AM. Reason: clarity
    NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Hi insect, you've asked a good question,and it can be hard to figure out when a post is a genuinely appropriate related post or a classical hijack.

Talking specifically about the thread you've linked, I believe the discussion about how to use a front mounted winch to recover from that situation is quite valid - discussion that relates directly to something posted by the OP.

A wider discussion about winches is also perfectly appropriate on a 4wd forum, but is it appropriate for the "Trekking Around Oz" sub - forum? Probably not.

Ultimately, it isn't a huge deal (on this forum - we like to think we're comparatively relaxed ) . These things happen during conversations. I think the most appropriate solution would be for the thread to be split, so each conversation can continue in an appropriate location.

All in good time...
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Sydney

The fact that you've taken the time to ask the question tends to indicate that you've got enough common sense and courtesy to make the right call.

I think that many interesting conversations have stemmed from strictly off-topic posts which would probably otherwise have not had the traction as a separate topic to develop. If it's anything more than brief, say a few posts worth, then it probably should have it's own topic. A cross-link between threads may be worthwhile too, ie a hyperlink to the other thread.
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• insect_eater
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Canberra

Thanks, guys. I think that these things are a learning exercise, and those are good tips.

I'm reasonably thoughtful, though sometimes only afterwards.......

I'll think some more about a list of checks for myself (and welcome other's thoughts), and post them up in due course.
        NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• TC.Barky
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2011
          • Melbourne

My thoughts are that if the OP has had the initial question they've asked answered, some tangents are fine. Forums are designed for discussion. What we don't like to see is, someone asks a specific question about, say in keeping in line with the above thread 'I had a near miss, can someone please explain to me how to do a reverse line pull' for example and then people start saying dig it out and then the discussion turns into which shovel would be best for it and then the initial question is lost and not answered.

TL;DR if the initial question has been answered, tangents are fine in my view.
          MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
          Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• GHendo
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Northern NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            Hi insect, you've asked a good question ...
            He's an 'insect eater', not an insect - oh, sorry - off topic !!

Geoff
            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• scribble88
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2014
              • Geraldton, WA

As the OP, I did not think it was hijacked. My aim with the post I put was not to say: hey my post has been hijacked. I am very sorry that you felt that, I probable worded it wrong. I just wanted to say: My topic is kind of over, any I probable wont contribute any more, but keep the discussion going.

As the admins have said, true hijacking occurs when the thread starter asks a question, and someone asks a similar question, BEFORE the original question/topic has been resolved.

My OP was an admission of stupidity anyway; so in my opinion there was no topic.

As NJ SWB said, the group was Travel Around OZ, so maybe a discussion on winches would not the best place to be.
              2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Electric brake controller, Kings Lethal 9” LED’s.Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

She would be a bloody boring forum if everyone kept 100% to the topic. Very clinical. Going off topic happens on every forum. No big deal. Often unexpected information is forthcoming that can be of benefit. People dont go out of their way to hijack a thread..unless your a troll.

Like everything else in life...you learn as you go along and know where and when to raise a topic..
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• insect_eater
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Canberra

Hi Scribble88, I know you didn't think that the thread had been hijacked, you clearly stated that it had done what you had needed, and that it was healthily drifting off the original topic, ie. with your approval! I didn't mean to imply you thought it had been hijacked.

It just got me thinking - as a relative newcomer to any type of forum - what exactly is "off topic" and this led me to thinking what could be considered "hijacking"? The thread started me thinking, rather than as a result of me feeling that you had any concern (which you didn't).

To me, your thread really taught me some things about how I should operate in the bush, and I really appreciate you explaining the situation that you faced and how you dealt with it. I'm sure there are dozens more who also appreciate you taking the time to share the experience.

As a newbie, I'm hungry to learn, and as I read threads relevant to my situation I usually think about what I would do, and I'm often tempted to jump in with questions relevant to my particular situation. This is what my question was really about - do you sit a thread out and learn what it offers, and start a bespoke thread to answer your specifics, even though quite similar or very closely related. Or jump in at some time - and I suspect the timing may be key.

I also see mentions of mods splitting or amalgamating threads, and am keen to neither prevent someone from pursuing a conversation they started, nor creating work for the mods trying to sort out a posts into different groups.

As Dicko says, I'll learn as I go along, I'm sure I'll crack eggss but hopefully make cakes, and I'll remain healthily unhinged for a goodly proportion of my posts.......

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by insect_eater View Post
                    Hi Scribble88, I know you didn't think that the thread had been hijacked, you clearly stated that it had done what you had needed, and that it was healthily drifting off the original topic, ie. with your approval! I didn't mean to imply you thought it had been hijacked.

It just got me thinking - as a relative newcomer to any type of forum - what exactly is "off topic" and this led me to thinking what could be considered "hijacking"? The thread started me thinking, rather than as a result of me feeling that you had any concern (which you didn't).

To me, your thread really taught me some things about how I should operate in the bush, and I really appreciate you explaining the situation that you faced and how you dealt with it. I'm sure there are dozens more who also appreciate you taking the time to share the experience.

As a newbie, I'm hungry to learn, and as I read threads relevant to my situation I usually think about what I would do, and I'm often tempted to jump in with questions relevant to my particular situation. This is what my question was really about - do you sit a thread out and learn what it offers, and start a bespoke thread to answer your specifics, even though quite similar or very closely related. Or jump in at some time - and I suspect the timing may be key.

I also see mentions of mods splitting or amalgamating threads, and am keen to neither prevent someone from pursuing a conversation they started, nor creating work for the mods trying to sort out a posts into different groups.

As Dicko says, I'll learn as I go along, I'm sure I'll crack eggss but hopefully make cakes, and I'll remain healthily unhinged for a goodly proportion of my posts.......

That means you will just be another boring contributor like the rest of us in the nut house....
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• insect_eater
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Canberra

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      That means you will just be another boring contributor like the rest of us in the nut house....
                      [/COLOR]
                      If my mixture of logical dogmatism and nearly unfathomable lateralism means that that I'm like everyone else here, then I'm home

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X