Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 30-06-18

In my manual 2015 NX, I get around 10l/100km when unladen, even around town (Canberra). On last year's moderately loaded (2850kg) camping trip to Uluru/Kings Canyon/Finke Gorge/Western Macs I averaged 11.74l/100km.

This was the real figure - GPS kilometers (not odometer - which reads 9% more). The trip was 7000km and included 1000km of dirt including 80km of low range. I was running D697s, but expect the STMaxx I now have fitted to suck another litre/100 or more.

I've also concluded that the average fuel consumption readout is pretty accurate - sitting somewhere between the GPS and odometer consumption figures. If using fill volumes and km travelled to calculate consumption, I've found that I need to average the consumption over many tankfuls as unless I am super careful when filling up as fill volumes are affected by vehicle angle, foaming, etc.

Speed is a significant factor in consumption. Below 100km/h I get 9l/100km. 110km/h equates to 10-11, and 130 (in the NT) to 13. 13.Xl/100 is the worst figure i can generate in 5th gear regardless of speed/throttle. These are all with a roof load - I hardly ever travel without one, so I don't know what difference it makes.

Last edited by insect_eater; 30-06-18 at 11:10 AM. Reason: clarity enhancement
Old 30-06-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffaw View Post
Sorry if I offended you OJ. I was simply making a comment that 6.7 lit/100 is a pretty low mileage/km figure. I was saying nothing good or bad. For myself, I am trying to understand my new NW Pajero and the lit/100. I have never owned a diesel before! The test I did and the figures I wrote down were under control conditions over a 2 hour period. Around town with normal driving I get 12 to 13 lit/100. On the one trip I did I got 11.5lit/100 over 800 km. Hopefully you read my previous post – “I understand that various mods and additions change fuel consumption. Combine that with driving style and environmental conditions it’s all over the shop” Do many other Pajero owners get 6.7 lit/100?, if so I would be interested in your replies.
Absolutely no offence taken Geoff. What amazes me is how people can get such good economy in vehicle that is 2 to 2.5x the weight, engine capacity and frontal area of a Yaris and report only a 50% increase in fuel used. This is my first Diesel engine and auto 4wd and was also expecting better fuel economy.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 30-06-18
Valued Member

turbo diesels are very economical and modern tech helps.Previous to the Pajero i had a BMW 120d (deisel)manual.Its normal day to day consumption was 6.5 l per 100 k.On the open road 5.5 l per 100 k was easily acheivable.It was chipped and was manual.If it had more sensible gearing(for nz) I beleive it would have been been more economical.6th gear was almost unuseable .It wasnt really worth changing into 6th unless youe were doing more than 110km hr or if it was completely flat.
I am amazed at the economy i can get out of the Mitsi.I run bfg AT and always have roof rails on.When we go on a trip and before we start to head inland(ie climbing hills ) i can easily get into the 9s(by onboard computer) I have seen high 8s.As soon as we hit the hills or if if it is windy its th 10s and 11s.I consider myself a pretty economical driver,i tend to hold momentum,and i dont brake or accelerate hard .I treat he throttle very gently on a trip.

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"
Old 02-07-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Absolutely no offence taken Geoff. What amazes me is how people can get such good economy in vehicle that is 2 to 2.5x the weight, engine capacity and frontal area of a Yaris and report only a 50% increase in fuel used. This is my first Diesel engine and auto 4wd and was also expecting better fuel economy.

OJ.

I think the best thing for me to do is have the centre console set to the music channel full time. I was more concerned that there may have been underlying issues. I have cleaned the MAF sensor, the manifold & head inlets have been cleaned and the car has had a complete service. No fault codes. The guy that did the Roosystems Tune (dyno) said the air/fuel ratios were really good across the range. He even got an extra boss welded in (3”system), back from the turbo so his oxygen sensor could be placed for the Dyno runs. He believes that the vehicle will give good fuel economy when towing. I am yet to test this. I either need to take early retirement or some long service leave and test it out on a decent trip with the camper trailer. For now I am going to try to forget about it and enjoy the 4x4 for what it is – a great vehicle.
Cheers Geoff
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I an averaging for the first 32000 kms 9.6 LITRES PER 100 KM. Includes city and open road driving but no use of anything other than 2wd and 4h.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

If you sit on exactly 2000rpm in a 3.2 Pajero you will get the best economy... You'll use more even a 100-200rpm either side...

Try it...
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Clean the MAF sensor in the top of the air cleaner. It should be cleaned every time the air cleaner is changed. Super Cheap sell the cleaner, I suppose any accessory shop will have it. Follow the instructions on the can.
Allan.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

A lot of the economy comes from how and where you drive. Short runs, stop/start in traffic all have huge influence on consumption. And an even bigger factor is how hard you push the loud pedal. I was taught even before I had my licence that every time you put your foot on the brake, that is fuel that you have paid for and are no worasting. This means that I look far ahead. If I see traffic lights ahead which are either red or soon gong to be that way, I coast up to the lights. Not only do I save the fuel that others around me are still using as they approach the lights, but most times I don't even have to stop, and this saves even more fuel. Most of this is academic because I rarely drive in cities anyway. I also try wherever possible to lift off slightly before the crest of a hill to avoid overspeeding on the down run and then having to brake to control the speed (Where I live, the coppers are everywhere and I don't want to donate to the Police benevolent fund).

Towing a caravan is even more telling on fuel consumption, particularly in heavy traffic. Here, however,I try to keep up with the traffic so I don't cause any more frustration than need be by having a large vision restricting blob blocking other driver's driving pleasure (if you can call it that in peak hour traffic). Again, anticipation usually reduces the number of stop/start operations and this saves a lot of fuel.

My last trip with the van was heading for Brisbane, but we only got to Sydney before my wife fell seriously ill and finished up in hospital for 10 days. The trip from Cooma to Sydney with my caravan used 11.7 L/100 km. The trips in Sydney (no van) used 13.2 L/100 km (this was mainly on Pennant Hills Road at peak hours - gee I hated that). The trip back home with the caravan after hospital used 12.2 L/100 km.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Only had my beastie for a month, and only bunged 5000k's on it, but averaging 8.1 per 100...so far so good...thats using my own gps with tracker and doing the sums after the bowser....hoping that one day soon, the caravan will magically attach itself to the car and want to be towed somewhere...then I'll see how happy I am with L/100...
Old 4 Hours Ago

Default fuel usage

Gidday boys, just an update re my mates NX fuel issues as reported at the start of this thread .

Months ago in Darwin after the second occurrence of excessive fuel issues he was told testing identified an air temp sensor was showing minus 30 degrees. As the sensor was not available he was told it would be ordered and sent ahead to Perth for whenever he arrived there. Mitsubishi tech advice was linked to MM emails and he was given a case "manager"as its a warranty matter. Prior to getting in to Perth last week he contacted his MM case manager to suggest what he thought may be needed ie a couple of possible outcomes. MM case manager, a polite young lady advised that the quoted fuel usage was all done in laboratories and could vary up by 35% and still be acceptable in MM's opinion. He left the car at the Perth dealers after briefing them and they acknowledged they had been aware of his problems and he returned later that day. They told him the car was fine, it had been serviced and their were no issues. He asked how it went when they road tested it regarding fuel usage. They advised they did not road test it, just serviced it . They advised that a replacement sensor had not been forwarded. Obviously he is extremely disappointed ( a nice way of saying he is ready to blow up) and is now driving straight back to Brisbane where I have arranged with a local mm service manager to have a closer look at the vehicle for him.
If anything comes of that I will let you know in due course
Andy