Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 13-06-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
What to do.
Buy Ultimate. Apart from being rebuildable, they're actually valved to suit your specific vehicle weights and usage. It's much easier to get them to do the hard calculations than it is to go through what you are, with the risk that you get it wrong, or if not wrong, then not as good as it could be. They're the suspension experts - just give them axle weights, tell them what you want, install and move on to the next mod.

Last edited by NFT5; 13-06-18 at 05:04 AM.
Old 13-06-18

Well I bit the bullet this afternoon. After consulting a few different suspension shops and asking way to many questions I have ordered a Dobinsons MRR kit. A couple of things swayed me in that direction. Namely Sharkcavers' experience in dealing with Dobbos when he had a major failure with his MRR setup. Dobbos really stood behind their product. The other reason was that Dobbos head office is only 100k's up the road if I have call on them for a warranty claim or want to change the valving. Billies were a close second and then the Koni. I purchased the kit through
https://www.autopartsco.com.au/
Not only was their pricing spot on, their customer service was great as well. They also fit the stuff they sell and use it on their company vehicles. Not just a shop front that pushes their favourite brand. So the damage is done and I will update my build thread when it's fitted up. The suspension will be fitted up by myself at home as I have a hoist which will make things a bit easier. I also have to fit the winch and second battery at the same time as I need the weight on the car for the wheel alignment.
Cheers, Mike.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!
Old 13-06-18
Valued Member

Hi Stinky,

I too have been working on Gen 4 Pajero suspension options over the last 6 months on behalf do Pajero 12 and NJswb so I understand the "paralysis by analayis" condition.
I have all the spring rates and free heights of Dobonson coils and have calculated the theoretically ride heights for given axle weights, so if possible once you have done your upgrade if you could PM me your axle weights and ride heights then it would help me validate my calculations.

On a recent Oodnadatta Track, Simpson Crossing, Birdsville and Strzelecki Track trip over 4,000kms I measures shocker temps of Dobinson MRR, Dobinson MT and Bilstein shockers when combined with Old Man Emu, Kings and Lovells coils. All 3 vehicles were at GVM+100-150kgs so at rear axle limits and driven in similar conditions. There was only 10C difference between all front shockers and a 20C difference between rear shockers but all vehicles were correctly sprung for the heavy loads they were carrying. The highest temp recorded was 60C despite the heavy loads and brisk speeds, we had an OLd Man Emu front strut weep but it was 70,000kms old where as the all the other shockers were either low kms or new.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.

Last edited by old Jack; 13-06-18 at 08:15 PM.
Old 13-06-18

Hi Old Jack
Following this post as am about to upgrade to +50mm raised suspension. I note in your profile that you have after market bump stops. Is there a reason for these?
Old 13-06-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieJ View Post
Hi Old Jack
Following this post as am about to upgrade to +50mm raised suspension. I note in your profile that you have after market bump stops. Is there a reason for these?
Hi Stevie,

The Challenger has trailing arm live axle suspension which is different to the independent rear suspension of the Gen3/4 Pajero's. In the Challenger there are rubber cone assist springs within the coils as well as axle articulation stops. I have replaced the rubber cone springs which provide assistance (added spring rate) much earlier in the compression range and at a greater compression rate, and this has been a highly successful mod that many have done. Unfortunately these can not be fitted to the Pajero because of the Pajero's IRS, it is almost impossible to get a rear coil that gives a good ride height and comfort when unloaded and when loaded to max axle weight. Airbags (regretfully) seem to be the only solution but only if the correct rear coil is selected.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 22-08-18

Hi I'm a bit late in on this........but.............for what its worth:
My NX has an ARB steel bar, winch, extra lights, steel bash plates all through. Initially I fitted the Dobbo's C43-144 with Bilstein struts and they were way too stiff and constantly topping out. I swapped them out with C43-184 and the front is now perfect.

In the rear I have Bilsteins and C43-125 springs. The lift is perfect and the ride far, far better on a off road. Admittedly quite firm on the main road but everywhere else brilliant.
Old 22-08-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnx16 View Post
My NX has an ARB steel bar, winch, extra lights, steel bash plates all through. Initially I fitted the Dobbo's C43-144 with Bilstein struts and they were way too stiff and constantly topping out. I swapped them out with C43-184 and the front is now perfect.

In the rear I have Bilsteins and C43-125 springs. The lift is perfect and the ride far, far better on a off road. Admittedly quite firm on the main road but everywhere else brilliant.

I have bush skinz plates, alloy nudgebar, light bar, secondary fuel filter and catch can as well as additional horns and the C43-148 is really good. Was going to put C42-126 but they reckon that one wouldn't handle the weight. I also have the C43-125 at the rear and they are great as well.
Old 22-08-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnx16 View Post

I've got 144 in the front and 125 in the rear with bags and so far I'm very happy with it.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!