X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laidlaym
    • Feb 2008

Cibie Super Oscar - LED or HiD?

I want to change my halogen globes in my Super Oscars (which I want to keep - not replace). Are LED H1 "globes" up to the job? Or are HiD far better?

Mark in Research
    Mark in Research
    NM GLX Manual 4M41 with clean ashtray and 2 DIN ICE
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

both option will give plenty of light but the "control" will be lost.Hid will probably give a result more like the halogens but only if the arc is in the same position in the reflector that the originals were.Uprated lamps is probbably the best aand safest(for other road uers).Hids take a moment to come back up to full brightness after you turn them off,then on again.
    I would advise against it if you asked me
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Tamworth
      • May 2014
      • Tamworth

Cibie Super Oscars with HID

Can't say I've done a comparison, but I have Super Oscars with HID inserts and they are just brilliant compared to the Halogens. You don't see any further down the road, to me the light they throw is much better.
      I asked an acquaintance who is a mechanic and works at a ARB dealer about changing to ARB LEDs, he said with what I had he wouldn't bother. I interpreted that as there's not much difference.
      To be honest I didn't know there was a LED option when I changed over several years ago
      Changing from Halogens to HID didn't seem to annoy othyer oad users any more or less

Comment

• NFT5
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Canberra

There's precious little space between the back of the reflector and the bowl - I'd think it unlikely that an LED would even fit.

Even if you did manage to fit one with the pigtails, there's no airflow inside the lights so failure would happen pretty soon.

HID in the Super Oscars will make an awesome driving light. You will just need to get used to the delay before they come up to full output. Good quality ballasts don't have a problem dealing with hot restrike where the cheaper ones just fry the internals.
        Chris

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
          There's precious little space between the back of the reflector and the bowl - I'd think it unlikely that an LED would even fit.

Even if you did manage to fit one with the pigtails, there's no airflow inside the lights so failure would happen pretty soon.
          Just use a kit with external ballasts. I’ve been using an external ballast kit with a set of Hella 4000s for years without issue.

My advice though is to not go over 4300k colour- anything over this is too blue and will reduce total light output (have a read of this - http://hidheadlightconversionkit.com...d-color-chart/ )
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• laidlaym
            • Feb 2008

Thanks for the comments, I'll keep watching the market. I would like to go for LEDs to get power consumption down as far as possible and avoid having to worry about ballasts.

Mark in Research
            Mark in Research

Comment

• haggis
              • Jun 2007

I have sat in plenty of rally cars with HID converted super oscars. They are great. Give plenty of light down the road and have the strength in body of the oscars.

Just get a good HID conversion kit and she’ll be apples.
              92 NH GLS Pirahna dual battery system, Lightforce Blitz240 hid spots, cibie spreads, Bilstiens each corner, Lovells rear coils, custom drawer system, ARB roofrack, side awning, ARB twin jerry holder, MSA drop slide, GME TX3440, custom wiring harness for second battery.

Comment

• laidlaym
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by haggis View Post
                I have sat in plenty of rally cars with HID converted super oscars. They are great. Give plenty of light down the road and have the strength in body of the oscars.

Just get a good HID conversion kit and she’ll be apples.
                How did you know this relates to my rally car? Or maybe you didn't, just coincidence.

Mark
                Mark in Research

Comment

• haggis
                  • Jun 2007

Hi mark,
                  We have crossed paths before. I think.... I have been known to sit in a few cars over the years, but most commonly a number of V8 commodores at VCRS and VRC and the odd alpine...

Cheers
                  Haggis
                  92 NH GLS Pirahna dual battery system, Lightforce Blitz240 hid spots, cibie spreads, Bilstiens each corner, Lovells rear coils, custom drawer system, ARB roofrack, side awning, ARB twin jerry holder, MSA drop slide, GME TX3440, custom wiring harness for second battery.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X