• Show
Clear All
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Replacement jack recommendations

Hi all,

My OEM jack threw up oil out of the seals last time I used it. I've been looking at the old threads about replacement jacks and it looks like there is nothing that fits the OEM holder, bottle jacks with the req'd lift likely won't fit under the control arms, ones that do fit under the control arms likely wont have the lift req'd.

There were also recommendations that the Hilux mechanical screw jacks are a good choice (but still won't fit the OEM holder).

So, have you found anything after market that fits the holder? If you have a different replacement where do you store/secure it?

Cheers,
    James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Similar issue with the Challenger.
    Solution here, but it does not fit in the factory position.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Axis
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2011
      • Highett Vic

Thanks OJ. Thinking I might try to source an OEM from a wrecker with on of the screw types as a back up. I'll just need to work out where to put it!
      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Axis View Post
        Thanks OJ. Thinking I might try to source an OEM from a wrecker with on of the screw types as a back up. I'll just need to work out where to put it!
        The Pajero OME hydraulic jack fails because it is stored on its side.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          The Pajero OME hydraulic jack fails because it is stored on its side.

OJ.

Not in our NS. OEM stored upright.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

So did this change from the NT onwards? Or can the jack be stored in either the upright or laid down position?

OJ.

Comment

• Axis
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2011
              • Highett Vic

Interesting. Our NS has a bracket to store the jack on it's side with a bolt to secure though the base.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2014
                • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by Axis View Post
                Interesting. Our NS has a bracket to store the jack on it's side with a bolt to secure though the base.
                that how the NT is too
                2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• craka
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Newcastle (Newie)

Pretty sure mine is upright; in a NS swb.
                  NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• rgrubby
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2018
                    • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

My NS is also on its side.
                    I tried it out recently on my driveway to see what it was like. It gets a bit of a bend by the time it gets the wheel off the ground, not looking forward to relying on it on an uneven slope
                    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• Seigried
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2016
                      • brisbane

My understanding is gen 4 Short wheelbase models and long wheel base model without a subfloor have the jack upright. Long wheelbase 7 seater on its side in the subfloor.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

Touch wood, I have never used the OEM jack in my NW. I have a cheapie 2 ton trolley jack which I use if necessary. I struggle to lift the rear wheel when it is flat because of an asthmatic condition I have.

More importantly, when I had the flat tyre, the bulging of the tyre meant that I could not fit the jacking pad into the correct place under the rear suspension arm. It was in danger of slipping all the time it was on the jack.

So I went and bought a 2 tonne electric scissor jack. It lifts the front and rear wheels OK. I now have that electric jack in my wife's Outlander and I bought a 3 ton electric jack from fleabay to use under the Pajero. This was a disaster - it struggled to lift even the Outlander. I think it was 3000 lbs, not 3000 kg. I finished up getting my money back and now have a 5 tonne electric hydraulic jack (cost $212 or thereabouts).

I looked a the possibility of buying one of those aluminium low profile trolley jacks,but the wheels have such a wide wheelbase that they would certainly not fit under the correct jacking point when I had a flat tyre. The new Electric Hydraulic jack will comfortably fit under the lower control arm and lift it easily. The only drawback of this jack is that I have to crawl under the car to position the jack and also to control it (switch it on to raise and or lower the jack). Naturally, by having the good jack I won't need to use it (well, that is the idea anyway), but should I have to change a wheel now, at least the jacking is now under control.

Comment

• craka
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by erad View Post
                          Touch wood, I have never used the OEM jack in my NW. I have a cheapie 2 ton trolley jack which I use if necessary. I struggle to lift the rear wheel when it is flat because of an asthmatic condition I have.

More importantly, when I had the flat tyre, the bulging of the tyre meant that I could not fit the jacking pad into the correct place under the rear suspension arm. It was in danger of slipping all the time it was on the jack.

So I went and bought a 2 tonne electric scissor jack. It lifts the front and rear wheels OK. I now have that electric jack in my wife's Outlander and I bought a 3 ton electric jack from fleabay to use under the Pajero. This was a disaster - it struggled to lift even the Outlander. I think it was 3000 lbs, not 3000 kg. I finished up getting my money back and now have a 5 tonne electric hydraulic jack (cost $212 or thereabouts).

I looked a the possibility of buying one of those aluminium low profile trolley jacks,but the wheels have such a wide wheelbase that they would certainly not fit under the correct jacking point when I had a flat tyre. The new Electric Hydraulic jack will comfortably fit under the lower control arm and lift it easily. The only drawback of this jack is that I have to crawl under the car to position the jack and also to control it (switch it on to raise and or lower the jack). Naturally, by having the good jack I won't need to use it (well, that is the idea anyway), but should I have to change a wheel now, at least the jacking is now under control.
                          Which jacking points are you using, with a trolley jack you can use the front centre and rear centre points to jack the pajero up.

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by craka View Post
                            Which jacking points are you using, with a trolley jack you can use the front centre and rear centre points to jack the pajero up.
                            I was using the jacking points under the lower suspension arms, as recommended in the owners handbook. There is a depression in the lower surface of the suspension arm obviously designed to accept the screw of the OEM jack. To reach under the car with a flat tyre in the road is bad enough to get to this jacking point, but to get to the centre of the car would be impossible.

Comment

• craka
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by erad View Post
                              I was using the jacking points under the lower suspension arms, as recommended in the owners handbook. There is a depression in the lower surface of the suspension arm obviously designed to accept the screw of the OEM jack. To reach under the car with a flat tyre in the road is bad enough to get to this jacking point, but to get to the centre of the car would be impossible.
                              Sorry wasn't meaning that you were using the wrong ones for OEM jack , but I thought I had read that you were using or used a trolley jack and only wanted to let you know there are two points, one front and one rear that can be used for trolley jack.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X