• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scooby
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2011
    • Ipswich, Qld.

Hi Gringo,
    I am not seeing any of the pictures might just be me though.
    Did you remove the input shat from the box, the spigot / pilot bearing I am asking about is in the back of the input shaft. The top shaft /output shaft runs in this bearing in all gears except 4th. Marked in the attached picture.

Looks like you have got it by the horns now.
    Attached Files
    Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

I can't see the pictures either, thought it was just me.

Appreciate your effort inn writing this up for our benefit also

Comment

• Gringos
        • Jul 2016
        • Millicent-South Australia

Missing photo's

Yes the photo's are now missing. They did upload initially, a Google thing I guess.

Can't access my Photo Bucket account so will have to come up with something else.

Sorry.

Comment

• Gringos
          • Jul 2016

Gearbox Update

Hi there Pajero Forum-ists.

Update: Firstly the missing photo's. Yes it is Google Photo's problem, they will not share directly, only a clickable link. Currently investigating other photo hosting sites. Photo's will come..eventually.

Update 18/11/2020. Have now added thumbnail photo's below and some additional descriptions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7206.JPG Views:	0 Size:	211.2 KB ID:	1067827
          Re: Gearbox.

Last week I received the Bellhousing Input shaft seal. Reassembly of the gearbox commenced on the Friday night. All went back together with no problems. Note: Old bearings on display below the installed new bearings. The replacement Countershaft bearing is a sealed unit.

Some gaskets were made up out of trusty "Corn Flakes" packets (see photo below). Other parts that obviously did not have gaskets in the first place were sealed with Permatex Ultra Grey, a substitute for the Mitsubishi Grey sealant. Around the selector cover I made a Corn Flakes gasket and sealed it with "Stag". Bellhousing Input Shaft seal was replaced and Bellhousing sealed with Permatex Ultra Grey and bolted up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7209.JPG Views:	0 Size:	199.1 KB ID:	1067828
          Photo at left.

Adaptor housing between gearbox and Transfer Case bolted up. Selector fingers were re-installed. The Gregories manual advises to replace the spring pins. I purchased what I thought were the correct size spring pins (6mm) but they were way to big. Reinstalled the original pins, they were tight going back in so fingers crossed, no issues.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7213.JPG Views:	0 Size:	157.9 KB ID:	1067829
          Next photo:

Corn Flakes packet gasket to replace the original thin plastic double layer over cardboard gasket. This gasket was coated both sides with a thin layer of "Stag". The shaft protruding is the gear lever selector shaft. This slides into the Transfer Case.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7215.JPG Views:	0 Size:	217.8 KB ID:	1067830
          Photo at left:

Gearbox/Adaptor and Transfer Case sliding together for a test fit. Note the Gearbox Selector lever sitting on the block of wood, mid way of photo, just below the selector fingers. The Selector fingers were given a liberal coating of High Temp STP Red Grease that I have on hand for Special Jobs. Bought a 1Kg tub back in the mid 1970's that cost me an arm and a leg (Apprentice wages then), but it is good stuff !.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7207.JPG Views:	0 Size:	179.8 KB ID:	1067831
          Next photo:

As a matter of interest. The gearbox weighs 45 Kg dry with Bellhousing, Add another 60Kg (Dry) for the Transfer Case. Sorry didn't get a photo of that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7222.JPG Views:	0 Size:	223.6 KB ID:	1067832

Then came re-installation on Saturday last. Removed the Tailshaft yoke dust cover to provide more clearance (See photo at left). Slid the Transfercase/Gearbox back under the Pajero. Jacked up the rear of the Transfer case and rolled the T/C-Gearbox back as far as possible, wife on trolley jack under orders and me at the front. Once in as far as it would go the jack was positioned right under the rear mount as before. It is reasonably balanced at that point with about 20 Kg I guess on the bellhousing pushing down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7223.JPG Views:	0 Size:	198.9 KB ID:	1067833
          Photo at Left: (HD Exedy 4x4 Clutch replaced with motor approx. 5000k's prior)

Once balanced and aligned we attempted to slide it all together, but no go. Wriggled the gearbox around, but it simply would not go. Moved it back out about 30mm or so had a good look and could see that the Transfer Case was too high, so lowered that and had another go. Slight twist of the gearbox as it went forward, slipped together just like a snap of the fingers......bloody ripper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7226.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.8 KB ID:	1067834
          Last Photo: (Looking up through the floor. Large hole for the Gearbox and T/Case gearsticks and the small oval hole for the wiring loom and grommet.)

From that point it was attach everything else and bolt it up. By Sunday it was all in except for the Torque Mount that I was still waiting on. Took 2 hours to get oil into Transfer Case and Gearbox.....what a bloody hastle. Also had In-law interrupt-ous, so no more work done after about 3.00pm. Monday morning (yesterday) torque mount arrived and was installed minutes later.

Took it for a test drive around our small acreage. Soon discovered that Low Range was not right. When changing from 1st.-2nd in Low range, it would pop out of Low range and the gearstick was stiff. Back under the carport and dis-assembled the top of the gearbox through the hole in the floor. As I feared, I had knocked a Spring Pin in the gearbox selector lever too far in. Easy fix, knock it back !. Ummmm, NO not that easy, no room to get anything in there. So devised a screwdriver lever and eventually after about a dozen tries and a lot of sware words, it moved back far enough to clear the Hi-Low selector fork.

Re-assembled everything AGAIN, and took for another Test Drive. Success !.

The Pajero is now back on the road......and NO Gearbox Noise other than a slight whine in 3rd gear.

I am pleased to report....all fixed !.

Total Cost-2 x Bearings $125.00, 1 x Bellhousing seal $5.00, Gearbox/TC mount $100.00, Torque Stay $75.00, 5L GL5 gear Oil $48.00, Permatex Ultra Grey $24.00, Bearing Puller hire $50.00, plus some minor sundries came to $440.00

Thanks for your interest,

Gringos over and out.
          Last edited by Gringos; 18-11-20, 09:34 PM. Reason: Edited Comments-added, plus thumbnail photo's added.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

You are a champion! Either that, or utterly desperate. Well done. It was a hell of a job, and an excellent write up. Congratulations. Hope it all goes well for you now.

Comment

• Green turtle
              • May 2008
              • GOLD COAST QLD

Great job looking foward to the photos
              1991 NH GLS LWB 3.0 V6

Comment

• Gringos
                • Jul 2016

Hi there Gen 2 Forum-isters.

It appears that photo's can now be uploaded directly ?.

Have now added some pics, hopefully they stay put !.

Cheers......Gringos.

Comment

• Gringos
                  • Jul 2016

UPDATE:

Hi there Pajero Forum-ists.

Quick update on the above Gearbox job. As of 21st. July 2021.

I am pleased to report that all is well, the NJ is going strong.

Have now done several trips up to Adelaide, a round trip of approx. 1000k's and one trip over to Victoria and back with 8 x 5 trailer to pick up a load of Braceboard (500Kg.) with no problems. Since the Gearbox Bearing replacement have now racked up approx. 10,000 k's. The only problem that has come to light is a slight oil leak from somewhere on top of the Gearbox out of sight toward the front. Prior to the last trip to Adelaide about a month ago, the gearbox took about 100ml of oil.

We have also done a couple of wood hunts now at the start of this winter with the 8 x 5 trailer requiring Low Range work and have had no issues with the Transfer Case as indicated in the story.

That's it.

Thanks for your interest !.

Gringos over and out.

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

Good to hear. You deserve a good run out of it after all that effort

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X