• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xrrob
    • May 2011
    • Abermain NSW

Dyneema Synthetic Winch Rope

Have you changed over to Dyneema Synthetic Winch Rope. If so what size 9, 10 or 11 mm and what length did you go to, 30, 35 , 40m. After w weekend away pulling out a few mates i think the steel rope is a pita.

3.0L 97NK SWB. 2"Body Lift,Front & Rear ARB Air Lockers, ARB Air Compressor,Front & Rear Diff Breathers Under Bonnet, Aisin Free Wheeling Hubs, ARB Steel Winch Bar & 9500lbs Winch, Tyres 265/75 R16 BF Goodrich Mud T/A KM2, UHF, 2" Suspension lift,Koni Adjustable Shocks,Lovells Coil Springs,New Torsion Bars,PolyAir Bags, Tinted Windows, Snorkel,Rock Sliders with Side Rails, Piranha DBE180S Dual BatterySystem,Drifta Rear Draws Installed, 27 Watt LED Rear Light, LightForce Genesis,32"LED Light Bar.
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Changed over to synthetic a number of years ago now and would never go back to wire! I have a Warn XD9000 and use 10mm rope, can fit 30m on if you extend the tie-ends between the gearbox and motor, otherwise you can only fit 28m I think. It requires a little more care, but it's worth it.
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Goodsy
      Who ya gunna call....
      • Dec 2010
      • Hervey Bay

For the amount it costs I'm sticking with steel. Use the winch maybe 10 times a year.
      Cannot justify changing to rope that may only last 2 years before it needs replacment.

Why would I need synthetic rope. Yes its better but not for the weekend basher like me.
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• umitc
        • Oct 2011
        • Istanbul

I am planning to order a synthetic wire for my coming winch setting too. First of all, for the weight. I have the OME 2915-2917.setting; front seems to sit higher than the rear. I am ordering the hidden wonch mount and will install a TJM 9500 with synthetic rope on it. I believe that this way I will stay below a 50 kg and the vehicle will be perfect level. I was planning to order 35 meters of 8 mm. So, if you say that it should be 10 mm and a Warn won't be able to wind 35 meters, a TJM either. Maybe I should go back to 10x30 meters.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
          Changed over to synthetic a number of years ago now and would never go back to wire! I have a Warn XD9000 and use 10mm rope, can fit 30m on if you extend the tie-ends between the gearbox and motor, otherwise you can only fit 28m I think. It requires a little more care, but it's worth it.
          How much weight would you say you've saved by going to the synth.rope?
          Ultimately, you would save on fuel in the long-term if it's considerably lighter.

Steve
          Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
          "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Onslow
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by umitc View Post
            I am planning to order a synthetic wire for my coming winch setting too. First of all, for the weight. I have the OME 2915-2917.setting; front seems to sit higher than the rear. I am ordering the hidden wonch mount and will install a TJM 9500 with synthetic rope on it. I believe that this way I will stay below a 50 kg and the vehicle will be perfect level. I was planning to order 35 meters of 8 mm. So, if you say that it should be 10 mm and a Warn won't be able to wind 35 meters, a TJM either. Maybe I should go back to 10x30 meters.
            I just ordered 10mm for the extra safety factor, but 9mm is fine for a 9500 I think - best to check specifications with the layers on the winch drum are the most efficient, and the rest are really storage. Going any longer than 30m is a waste of money IMHO as it's cheaper to use a winch extension strap if you require more distance.
            NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Onslow
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
              Ultimately, you would save on fuel in the long-term if it's considerably lighter.

Steve
              Not sure how much I saved as I was mainly after ease of use and didn't check. Feels considerable, maybe 12-15kg? Someone will hopefully have an exact figure. With all the other modifications to my vehicle I doubt that it would affect the fuel consumption that much.

Comment

• Onslow
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2007

Here's a matrix, just convert to metres:

Master Pull manufactures high performance vehicle recovery equipment and rigging for a wide range of applications, from recreational off-road to heavy duty military and industrial use.

Comment

• Traveller43
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2011
                  • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                  For the amount it costs I'm sticking with steel. Use the winch maybe 10 times a year.
                  Cannot justify changing to rope that may only last 2 years before it needs replacment.

Why would I need synthetic rope. Yes its better but not for the weekend basher like me.
                  I was considering moving to the synthetic rope too but am concerned at outlaying the cost if it might only last 2 years. What makes you think it might only last that long? I have been told I should expect 5 years plus if it is used and stored properly.
                  Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Peakhurst, Sydney

My understanding is that as synth.rope is more vulnerable to abrasion, it's necessary to take extra measures to avoid it running across rocks, logs, etc., but also grit from mud & dirt works its way into the fibres eventually causing fraying & breakage, so cleaning it essential to make the rope last. At least you can take it off your winch & throw it in the washing-machine after a dirty-weekend, (but probably best to do it when the missus is out shopping, etc.)!

Steve
                    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Traveller43
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Perth, WA

Thanks Steve

That's kind of what I figured too, that as long as you are careful with it and clean it (a much easier job than with steel) it should last well.
                      Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• Onslow
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Traveller43 View Post
                        I was considering moving to the synthetic rope too but am concerned at outlaying the cost if it might only last 2 years. What makes you think it might only last that long? I have been told I should expect 5 years plus if it is used and stored properly.
                        Mines lasted nearly four years and is still in good nick. Protect it from sun damage and abrasion, and wash it if it looks like it's getting dirt ingrained. Most people continue to treat their synthetic rope like wire rope, however it requires a little more care - but it rewards you every time that you use it

Comment

• umitc
                          • Oct 2011
                          • Istanbul

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
                          Here's a matrix, just convert to metres:

http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=502
                          Thank you very much for your help and clue; I will check it and decide accordingly. I heard that the dealer has run out of 9500 TJM winches and he offered me a 12000 at the price of 9500. I don't want 12K, but I will see, what else I can do. Taking into consideration my 50 kg front ARB springs, a 15 kg saving is definitely a good deal. Thanks again.

Comment

• xrrob
                            • May 2011
                            • Abermain NSW

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post

Steve
                            From the winch manual i will say 10kg by using 10mm X 30m synth rope.
                            3.0L 97NK SWB. 2"Body Lift,Front & Rear ARB Air Lockers, ARB Air Compressor,Front & Rear Diff Breathers Under Bonnet, Aisin Free Wheeling Hubs, ARB Steel Winch Bar & 9500lbs Winch, Tyres 265/75 R16 BF Goodrich Mud T/A KM2, UHF, 2" Suspension lift,Koni Adjustable Shocks,Lovells Coil Springs,New Torsion Bars,PolyAir Bags, Tinted Windows, Snorkel,Rock Sliders with Side Rails, Piranha DBE180S Dual BatterySystem,Drifta Rear Draws Installed, 27 Watt LED Rear Light, LightForce Genesis,32"LED Light Bar.

Comment

• Onslow
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2007

Thank you very much for your help and clue; I will check it and decide accordingly. I heard that the dealer has run out of 9500 TJM winches and he offered me a 12000 at the price of 9500. I don't want 12K, but I will see, what else I can do. Taking into consideration my 50 kg front ARB springs, a 15 kg saving is definitely a good deal. Thanks again.
                              It would be worth checking the weight of a 12000lb winch compared to a 9500lb winch too.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X