• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robmarl
    • Sep 2012
    • Townsville

spray polish for car

what do people recommend for maintaining the show room shine on your vehicle.
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

This is what we tell our customers:

1. Never, EVER, put the car through a brush type car wash and avoid the high pressure ones as much as possible. The brushes DO damage the paint and the detergents used in the high pressure washes are so strong that they literally strip the surface coatings off.

2. Wash regularly using fresh, clean water to rinse grit off first. Use a bucket with cold or warm water and a pH neutral detergent. Morning Fresh is my favourite. Clean bucket, clean sponge and wash from the top down. Rinse well and chamois thoroughly when done.

3. Use a polymer based polish, not wax. Polymers will bond with the top layers of the paint and last much longer. Waxes don't last and don't offer the same degree of protection. Polish four times a year if the vehicle is generally outside, more often if in a harsh environment where there is fallout, salt or dirt.

In the shop we use Gelson polishes. Long lasting and having extreme clarity with very high gloss they're about the best I've ever used. But, they're professional products and designed for specific machine application, not hand, so no good for home use. In terms of retail products there are many but I think that the Meguiars range is about the pick of the bunch and they're reasonably priced.

Don't waste money on spray on type glazes. They look good at first but are mainly silicone and literally fall off. Protection value is zero.

4. If you can find someone near where you live that understands paint correction (not just a detailer) then have them do the car once a year and do the intermediate polishes yourself.

5. Have any damage, even minor, attended to quickly. Once you let appearance maintenance go you'll lose that sense of pride that you have in the car when it's new and it will end up a mess because you no longer care.

Just as an example, here's a car that's 15+ years old but is well cared for. Except for the bar and hardlid, that's all original factory paint. Looks better than my Paj in the background.

Chris

Comment

• marlin1856
      • Apr 2013
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
      This is what we tell our customers:

1. Never, EVER, put the car through a brush type car wash and avoid the high pressure ones as much as possible. The brushes DO damage the paint and the detergents used in the high pressure washes are so strong that they literally strip the surface coatings off.

2. Wash regularly using fresh, clean water to rinse grit off first. Use a bucket with cold or warm water and a pH neutral detergent. Morning Fresh is my favourite. Clean bucket, clean sponge and wash from the top down. Rinse well and chamois thoroughly when done.

3. Use a polymer based polish, not wax. Polymers will bond with the top layers of the paint and last much longer. Waxes don't last and don't offer the same degree of protection. Polish four times a year if the vehicle is generally outside, more often if in a harsh environment where there is fallout, salt or dirt.

In the shop we use Gelson polishes. Long lasting and having extreme clarity with very high gloss they're about the best I've ever used. But, they're professional products and designed for specific machine application, not hand, so no good for home use. In terms of retail products there are many but I think that the Meguiars range is about the pick of the bunch and they're reasonably priced.

Don't waste money on spray on type glazes. They look good at first but are mainly silicone and literally fall off. Protection value is zero.

4. If you can find someone near where you live that understands paint correction (not just a detailer) then have them do the car once a year and do the intermediate polishes yourself.

5. Have any damage, even minor, attended to quickly. Once you let appearance maintenance go you'll lose that sense of pride that you have in the car when it's new and it will end up a mess because you no longer care.

Just as an example, here's a car that's 15+ years old but is well cared for. Except for the bar and hardlid, that's all original factory paint. Looks better than my Paj in the background.

2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

I use Meguiar's NXT Polymer Sealant. It's brilliant and the water does bead off for a long time as they claim.

There's a video here.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rd_US5BEYU
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• paceman
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2018
          • Mackay

I have been using Bowden’s for a while now and have been really happy with their products...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Hang on, Morning Fresh as in dishwashing detergent??

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
              And the best window cleaning detergent ever.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• ron2503
                • Dec 2017
                • Alex Hills

Wouldn't that strip off everything?
                2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
                Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
                Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• NFT5
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Canberra

Absolutely! Far more effective than "purpose made" car washing products and a fraction of the price, especially since you don't need very much.

Takes off the grime but not any polish and much gentler than truck wash, especially on your hands if you've a number of cars to wash in a day. Rinses clean and clear with no streaks.

We've been using it for years.
                  Chris

Comment

• ddeane
                    • Oct 2011
                    • ACT

I believe that Morning Fresh like most dishwashing detergents has a high salt content and should be kept away from cars

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
                      • Mar 2018
                      • Western Australia

I have heard negative reports about using dishwashing liquid for washing cars.
                      Removes any protective wax, especially around joints in the bodywork, letting in moisture an causing rusting. Also has high salt content as mentioned.

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by ddeane View Post
                        I believe that Morning Fresh like most dishwashing detergents has a high salt content and should be kept away from cars
                        Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post
                        Removes any protective wax, especially around joints in the bodywork, letting in moisture an causing rusting. Also has high salt content as mentioned.
                        I'll take NFT5's advice on this.

Salt content? How much do people think they're going to use? A few drops of detergent in a bucket, then rinse. It's not like washing the car in sea water...
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by JohnFromPerth View Post

Yep. Salt is a definite ingredient in dishwasher liquid.

The salt also gets under the rubber seals.

Formula for Morning Fresh.

Note these are in percentage order.

Aqua, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Lactic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Parfum, Limonene, Geraniol, Citral, Linalool, Colorants, Vinegar.
                          Last edited by BruceandBobbi; 10-05-19, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• marlin1856
                            • Apr 2013
                            • Melbourne

My dad washed his car with a variety of dish washing dets for 17 years and when I sold the car a few months ago the paint was shmick except for the standard stone chips that all cars get over that period of time so it may have a salt in it but it definitely did nothing but good things to my dads paint.
                            2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• kod10
                              • May 2014
                              • brisbane

Thank you NFTS for the advice. Would you recommend using a Nano/Ceramic paint protection applied to a brand new Pajero Sport (due for delivery next week).

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X