• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ilikeachallenge
    • Feb 2017
    • victoria

Engel 2nd row fridge mount

Hi all,

I made up this 2nd row Engel 40 lt fridge mount and have been using it for a couple of years and it works a treat so I thought I would share it for those that are interested.
    By removing the seat behind the drivers seat it is possible to fit and use the fridge while camped or driving if you have a rear seat passenger nice enough to pass you some food.
    My first design saw the fridge door foul on the hood lining and would not allow it to fully open.
    After a bit of packing in strategic spots with different thicknesses of form ply I was able to kick the mount on a slight side angle and it now clears the hood lining and opens fully leaving both hands free to forage for the coldest beer hidden in the bottom.
    It seriously takes 10 minutes to remove the seat and fit the mount and bolt it down ready for the fridge.
    As I have a false floor in the rear I have bolted 2 tie downs there and 2 more at the front of the mounting plate and use 4 x 1000mm long tie down straps to anchor the fridge.This fridge has never moved either on road or off road and stays nice and snug in its location even under emergency braking(read KANGABLOODYROO) while towing the camper at 110kmh.
    I replaced the original seat bolts with longer HT bolts from a good bolt supplier to allow for the thickness of the ply which is 17 mm.
    I used form ply for durability and long service life and it can be screwed,bolted bashed whatever.
    If you want it too look nice just cover it with carpet from clark rubber and it looks like a bought one.I cant find any pics with the fridge in but will be fitting it for a trip in about a week so will post some then.

Can supply bolt lengths etc if any one is keen to give it a go.
    Attached Files
    2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

Nice one. I have a fridge in the rear but would like to move it forward to use the space right behind the front seats. This has given me some ideas.

Comment

• Turorit
      • Oct 2016
      • Adelaide

Great design
      I might have a crack at making something similar. Having my 40L waeco in the rear passenger footwell is getting annoying, I have to move the front passenger seat every time I want to get into the fridge.
      2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
      --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• ilikeachallenge
        • Feb 2017
        • victoria

Hi all just an update on this easy fridge storage mod.The attached pics show the fridge mount in place and then the fridge in place.if I ever make another I would make the wing that is closest to the car door when the door is closed as big as possible as then it would form a little shelf to place fridge items when your searching for something and have to take things out.also could serve a small prep area for food on the go.
        Attached Files
        2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.

Comment

• Turorit
          • Oct 2016
          • Adelaide

Having a crack at it Bent up some brackets to use the original seat bolt holes.
          Haven't figured out how to secure the rear end yet as there are no factory bolt holes/tie downs back there. No false floor on my rear storage to bolt it to either.
          Attached Files
          2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
          --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• ilikeachallenge
            • Feb 2017
            • victoria

Hi turorit
            Do you intend to leave the fridge mount in you car full time? If so maybe you can just tech screw it to the floor,if you want to make it removable maybe you could bend up some brackets and fix it to your rear storage unit somewhere?

Comment

• Turorit
              • Oct 2016
              • Adelaide

Ended up making a bracket to hold it to the rear storage vertical support
              All of the tie-down points in the timber screw into T-Nuts.

Fridge will probably stay in the car full time, but I like the option of having it relatively easy to remove.
              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X