• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nitram977
    • Mar 2008
    • Wollongong.NSW

EGT guage installation

I bought one of those saas pillar pod gauges for my diesel NJ and fitted them (bit of trimming reqd) but they fit and kook good. Im guessing that there is no provision anywhere on exhaust system to screw the probe into? Has anyone here installed one? Is it simply a case of drilling a hole in the exhaust pipe down from turbo and welding a nut to it?
  • Meth'd_up_Mitsi
    • Nov 2019
    • Caboolture

Originally posted by nitram977 View Post
    I bought one of those saas pillar pod gauges for my diesel NJ and fitted them (bit of trimming reqd) but they fit and kook good. Im guessing that there is no provision anywhere on exhaust system to screw the probe into? Has anyone here installed one? Is it simply a case of drilling a hole in the exhaust pipe down from turbo and welding a nut to it?
    For the EGT probe you need to get a 1/8 NPT steel weld in bung. SaaS don't always supply them but your dearer more accurate guages like redarc and VDO usually supply one in the kit. They are generally around the $10 mark from performance shops.. as for where to mount them the best place optimally is in the collector area of the manifold before it goes into the turbo. This where I mounted mine when I built my second motor.. however most people are not prepared to have the car off the road to do this sort of job. Which is why most will put it in the down pipe or dump pipe within 100mm of the turbine wheel. Most aftermarket exhaust system manufacturers will put such a bung in there for added convenience. But you need to be aware the after turbo fitment is not truely accurate and the real world temps are some 70-100°C hotter. So the hottest you really ever want to ultimately avoid is 650°C for a very short period of time.. (no more than 10-15 seconds)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kingmarz
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2016
      • South Island New Zealand

Me old Challenger I just drilled out the nut on the dump pipe that the heat shield bolts to and the thread was perfect and on my current Pajero I drilled and taped exhaust manifold where the collector is the manifold seemed thick enough.
      02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Meth'd_up_Mitsi
        • Nov 2019
        • Caboolture

I got mine ceramic coated as well as turbine housing and dump pipe.. EGT's do read higher than usual I admit..

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X