X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevlad
    • Oct 2009

Uh oh NM woes

Further to my recent post i thought i would post an update. I picked up the car late in the evening last week and headed south from Brisbane to our home in Tenterfield. Things werent great from the off as the 3 things that these muppets had the car for were all still evident, vibration 2200rpm, clunk from rear going from coast to power and low speed knocking from front suspension on rough surfaces. I had already decided at this point that i would sort the problems out myself, and hope that the car dealer would reimberse me after. However, when i arrived in Warwick something did not feel right so pulled over to have a butchers underneath. I discovered that two of the bolts and lower half of the bushes which support the transmission were missing. Anyway, managed to limp back home and only the following day did i discover that the two remaining bolts were hanging by a thread so to speak. Further investigation found all four threads stripped from the floor. The ensuing conversation with the dealer shall not be repeated, but he did agree to me sorting all of the problems myself, which is good because 1) It will save me a fortune in petrol and 2) It will now get fixed properly.
    I have sorted the stripped threads in the floor, bought myself some stock standard bushes to modify for the rear diff front mounts.( $635.00 from Mitsy $44.00 and half an hour on the lathe from repco) Done the same for the horribly expensive rear trailing arm bushes and i think i have pinpointed the front low speed knocking down to the front shocks which are uprated Monroes. Anyone else come across this problem by the way?
    So, i thought we were getting sorted and i noticed what seemed to be a slight exhaust blow from the left hand bank manifold. After much swearing and burning of hands, had to do it hot to get some heat into heat shield bolts, i discover my worst fears and find a crack. My suspicion is that the time driving the car with gearbox only supported by half has stressed the whole exhaust system and thus my new problem.
    Firstly, has anyone else had problems with cracked manifolds? And secondly has anyone got a second hand one? I fear that Mr Dealer is not going to wear this one.
    This brings me to my final point and that is fuel consumption. I am only getting 32 km to the gallon which equates to 7km per litre. i am sure i used to get a far better return than this. 99% of the driving is done cruising at 100kph. Obviously the cracked manifold will be sucking in air and thus dicking around with the oxygen sensor, thus sending info to the ECU to inject more fuel.
    So there it is, my Saturday afternoon is complete aside from refitting the heat shield!
    Cheers
    Kev
    Ps I can get 86 litres in my tank as of today, but have only ever managed 80 before. Really low on fuel? Or sneaky petrol station pump readers? Hmm . . .
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

The V6 exhaust manifolds crack regularly - you can usually hear them leak once cracked. Time for a set of extractors.

The tanks will hold nearly 90L when dry.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• kevlad
      • Oct 2009

Thanks Pat, i wont be heading to the petrol staion with an accurate measuring vesicle!!

Comment

• Pagey
        • Dec 2007
        • Ballarat

Will the crack in the manifold upset the fuel economy?
        3.5 NM Exceed, 265/75/16 Bridgestone D694LT & 285/75/16 MIckey Thompson MTZ on Patrol Alloy, Piranha Dual Battery System, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Alloy B/Bar, 240 Lightforce D/Lights, TX 3400 UHF, Milford Barrier, 40lt Engel, Black Widow Slide, Poly Airs, Brown Davis bash plate, Windcheater Roof Rack, 2" lift King Springs, 300watt inverter, Redback Extractors

Comment

• psproule
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by Pagey View Post
          Will the crack in the manifold upset the fuel economy?
          You wouldn't think so. If the O2 sensor is reading OK it will still show the same ratio of oxygen.

Pat

Comment

• kevlad
            • Oct 2009

From experience with mainly Italian cars, a cracked manifold can definitely upset engine performance as the O2 sensor is downstream from the manifold thus giving the sensor different info from a non leaking system. The O2 sensor is directly linked to the ECU and will send info back to the ECU about the O2 content in the exhaust gases, the ECU then uses this info along with info from all other sensors in the system(throttle position, air flow meter, rpm, etc etc) and adjusts fuel input accordingly.That is my understanding of it all. If i am correct, then this can definitely affect fuel consumption. But hey, i have been wrong before and sure as hell will be again!
            Kev

Comment

• wrexed03
              • Jul 2007

Re Cracked manifold as mentioned quite common on NM and NP models anyway i have one good one let me know which one you want. Drivers or Passanger side. Will get back to you with which one i have.
              PM me or post here.
              Regards

Comment

• mrbitchi
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Brisbane

Seems like it's always the left one that cracks. I've got a good right side one if anyone wants it..

A set of extractors can be bought on line from Best Mufflers for $520. Not too hard to fit, just fiddly.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• nervis
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • Central West NSW

Did you fix the on/off power clunk int he rear end with the new bushes?
                  Mick: MY15 NX GLX Manual DID, SprintBooster, EGR blank, Redarc remote EBC on factory loom, GME UHF, TJM Snorkel.

Comment

• kevlad
                    • Oct 2009

I need the left hand one, passenger side. I am going to make an attempt to weld it, notoriously tricky to do from experience. How much do you want for yours? Assuming it is the left one you have.
                    Re the rear bushes, i havent removed the bushes from the trailing arms or diff mount yet. The machining can only be done once i have an accurate measurement from the housing. Will post once i have done though.
                    Cheers

Comment

• psproule
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Googong, NSW

You know that most of the slop is in the transfer, gearbox and rear diff dont you? Unless the bushes are shagged they wont change much. I noticed a big change to our NM when we changed the companion shafts, and another when changing the transfer out for one that still had meat on the splines of the input shaft (they wear them off). The splines and bearing surfaces in the old companion shaft were worn - you could see the shafts slop around if you turned the tailshaft against the parked wheels. You will never get rid of it.

Comment

• nervis
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • Central West NSW

I noticed a big change in the play when I did my companion shafts as well and after I lifted the car it also inproved the "thud" in the rear end from on/off throttle... wierd I know, but its certaily better.
                        Mick: MY15 NX GLX Manual DID, SprintBooster, EGR blank, Redarc remote EBC on factory loom, GME UHF, TJM Snorkel.

Comment

• kevlad
                          • Oct 2009

Bushes are stuffed proper! I am replacing with uprated, ie less rubber and more aluminium in this case. Laying under car with someone changing from drive to reverse diff jumps up and car lurches forward but rear wheels stay put, ie trailing arm bushes at front end stuffed. Thanks for input though. Hopefully going to get stuck into it over weekend.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X