• Show
Clear All
  • Mavman
    • Jun 2014
    • Geraldton

Switch off EGR for $1

Hi All,

Righto, first post.

Quick tech tip. I've switched off my EGR for less than $1 on my NW.

Instructions:
    1. Buy 3.6k Ohm resistor (0.5W or greater),
    2. Peel back tape to open up conduit on MAF sensor wiring,
    3. Cut blue-black wire on from MAF sensor,
    4. Put some heat shrink on each end of the cut wire,
    5. Solder in resistor,
    6. Heat the heat shrink,
    7. Re-cover with conduit, and re-run black tape.

Well hidden, looks professional, cheap, and it works. Resistors come in a pack of eight; eight for $1.

To check that your mod works, program the EGR into your scan gauge:
    TXD 07E0012C
    RXF 0441052C0000
    RXD 2808
    MTH 006400FF0000
    name EGR

I've attached a resistance vs temperature chart if you want pick a different resistor size. The 3.6k ohm resistor is enough to switch it off on a 40-45 degree day. Go for more resistance if you live in the top end.

The intake air temp on the scangauge uses a different sensor so you don't lose that functionality with this mod.

I installed the mod a couple of months ago. No codes thrown yet, nothing negative noticed.

Cheers,

Grant
    Attached Files
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Good job. Hard to pick and the heat shrink will definitely help keep the integrity of the join..
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• supazuk
      • Jun 2014
      • Katherine

I put a 4.7k resistor on my parents 2009 paj and it stays closed in 45+degC
      2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• Dale-NS
        • Jan 2015
        • Townsville

Switch off egr for $1

I did this mod about 3 months ago, no problems so far.
        I used the 4.7
        Dale

2008 NS diesel auto - EGR resistor mod, tow bar, spare wheel lift, Scanguage, Oricom UHF, Roo Lights, Ironman Bull bar & 2" lift, Hercules 12000lb winch & DPF delete pipe

Comment

• Hatto
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Mandurah WA

Awesome Mavman! Is that resistor just a Jaycar special? Looks so simple. Might just go with that I reckon. Thanks heaps for the detailed post. I've been procrastinating with the plug and play thing for ages. Wanting to get it but not wanting to shell out the $$$ for it, thinking of blanking plates. But that's it $1,! And so simple to do. Gonna get me a resistor on my next days off.
          Thanks
          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Mavman
            • Jun 2014
            • Geraldton

No probs Discog,

Any hobbyist electronics store will have the resistors (eg Dick Smith, Leading Edge Electronics etc). If you can't get 0.5W, just go for a larger wattage. Likewise, if no 3.6k ohm resistors available, just go the next size up (larger number). Resistors will be labelled 3K6, which means 3.6kohm.

Cheers

Comment

• bacon
              Banned
              • Feb 2015
              • Australia

gee thats a lot cheaper than $150

Comment

• Hatto
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Mandurah WA

Got some at Jaycar today for 55c for 8 of them. Got 3.6 & 4.7 ohm. Might try 4.7 first tonight
                Cheers, Hatto

ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• johndavis125262
                  • Apr 2013
                  • brisbane

hi guys have a look at what we did to challengers with this mod been going for almost 12 months here is the link ..regards john

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=39879

Comment

• pauld
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • Melbourne

Can I assume that the resistor mod would be the same on the NX??
                    2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• Hatto
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Mandurah WA

I am thinking of cutting the wire and putting bullet connectors on each side of the cut (to make the mod removable) and solder a short wire to each end of the resistor with a bullet connector on each end of those wires. This will make a removable resistor mod. That way I can try both the 3.6 & 4.7k resistor to compare the two with the torque app.
                      Cheers, Hatto

Comment

• Rooster
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Adelaide

Hi all

I recently installed a 3.9 k resistor to close the EGR and since then, my ultragauge has continually shown the valve closed. An upside is that I have noticed an improvement in fuel economy around town driving of around .6 litres /100 km's as per the dash readout. Interestingly this is what I reckon I lost when changing to AT tyres and ARB Bullbar, so placebo or not I am happy. This tank of fuel is running at 10.6 litres / 100 k's after 650 k's and for the last year after lift and tyres I have not been able to get below 11.3 litres / 100k's for the same driving conditions. Time will tell I guess.
                        NW 3.2 Diesel Auto Platinum, Cool Silver, Redarc Remote Head Electric Brake Controller, Mitsi towbar, GME 3400 UHF, full window tint, home made rear drawers, bushskinz intercooler guard, custom alloy sump and trans sump guards, rhino racks, arb awning, UltraGauge, Lovells HD coils and Bilsteins, BFG KO2's, Automate TCC Lockup kit, Hikeit throttle controller

Comment

• cookie
                          • Feb 2008
                          • Perth

Rooster, how are monitoring EGR on ure ultragauge? I had a quick play on mine but could only get the EGR flow I think it was?
                          2014 NW GLX
                          ----------------------------------------------
                          Previously: 98 Challenger, 2 inch lift, koni shocks, ARB bullbar, Lightforce 240 Blitz, redarc dual battery sys, UHF, bushman fridge, Wrangler ATR's

Comment

• Hatto
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2013
                            • Mandurah WA

Job done. Can't wait to see the results tomorrow. EGR is reading 0 on torque app now. Woohoo! Just drove it down the road a hundred or so meters and there was a noticeable difference. No turbo lag. Will see what tomorrow brings. This is what I made up as described in my previous post.
                            Now I can understand plug it if I need to.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20150611_235716.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	973143
                            Cheers, Hatto

Comment

• Dale-NS
                              • Jan 2015
                              • Townsville

Switch off EGR for $1

I used bullet connectors as well, that way I can remove when taking it in for a svc if needed
                              Dale

2008 NS diesel auto - EGR resistor mod, tow bar, spare wheel lift, Scanguage, Oricom UHF, Roo Lights, Ironman Bull bar & 2" lift, Hercules 12000lb winch & DPF delete pipe

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X