• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Today in Karratha

Took the boat out for the first time in just over 5 months on Thurs. Didn't do very well with the fishing, so went out again today, absolute cracker of a day, hardly a breath of wind above 5kts and flat as a tack.

Cruising along:

My mate Tim with some of his catch

My mates Bill and Tim- look how smooth the water is, glassy!!!!!

My Flathead

My Queenfish. Sorry about the no-shirt, I had to use it to wipe up some blood off the boat.

My Mackeral

Didn't get a good photo of the 1m+ Mackie that Bill was reeling in, it was an absolute behemoth! Unfortunately before we could get it in the boat it busted off the hook. Spewing!!
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • t-rex1995
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Imbil Via Gympie QLD

few nice fishes there bud definately can't complain about the smoothness like a babys bum shame about the mackeral hope you got to see it good tho
    Formely 93 NH Pajero LWB, 3.0L V6 NOW OWN 2004 GU Patrol Wagon T/Diesel 3LT
    WITH 4'' TOUGHDOG SUSPENSION, FULL 3'' TBE, EGT & BOOST GAUGE 33'' MUDDIES, 21'' LED LIGHT BAR

Comment

• Betz
      • May 2012
      • 'stralia

Nice mixed haul, we got blown out while in Dampier/Karratha so didn't do very well but the place looks very fishy indeed.

2001 NM 2.8tdi GL, 5 spd Manual, MM Bullbar, Dual Batt, 400w Inverter, Boo's intercooler, sump and tranny guards, Dobinsons HD raised springs, Strut/Spring spacers, Bilstein shocks, Front Aussie Locker, 255/85x16 Cooper Discoverer S/T, much more to come....

Comment

• Alex86
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Here and there

There's fish everywhere up here. I've got no idea what I'm doing when fishing so don't know how to chase the big stuff etc. I don't eat fish anyway, its just fun to catch things!

We were watching groups of 6 or 7 swim past the boat fairly frequently. Had them chasing lures right up to the boat too but none of them decided to see if they were tasty. If we had a spear, probably could have speared a few from the boat itself they get that close!

That big mackie is still out there, suppose we will just have to go back out one day and try get it!
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• Thomo238
          • Apr 2009
          • Perth

I had a great view of the ocean from the Pluto Gas Plant while working...
          2011 NT RX 3.2DiD.ARB Winch Bar,Avenger 9500lb Winch,ARB Lockers,OME 2' Lifted Suspension,Poly Airs,58lt LRA Tank, Redarc Dual Battery Kit,Snorkel,Rock Sliders,GME UHF TX3340,265/70R17 MTZ's,Full Under Body Protection,48lt S/S Water Tank,HID Spot Lights,LED Light Bar,Custom Made Rear Draws,Diff Breathers,Diesel Smart Module,B&M Tranny Cooler,Dual Wheel Carrier,Rear,Camp Light,In Dash GPS,Coupler Tech,Tyre Monitors,Scan Gauge,3' Manta Exh,HPD InterCooler,RhinoRack etc

Comment

• Alex86
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Here and there

Someone's gotta work though (normally its me!)

Comment

• Alex86
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Here and there

19/9/13

Went for a troll, no good. Changed spots and got a few. Here's a shot of the only fish I caught, just a Queenie

And my mate Tim landed this monster Queenfish too, biggest one I've seen! About 90cm long. Put on a few sweet runs and a good fight. Also got a small Spanish mack and golden trevally, but no photos.

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

16 October....

Slept thru my alarm this morning and got in the water a bit after 8. Was hoping to be in by 0645-0700. Cracker of a morning, so calm and flat. The arvo picked up to 13knots with gusts to 17. Boat handled it very well, and fortunately my skill level has increased with it and the conditions didn't worry me at all (a while ago when I was less proficient in it we ended up copping 20 knots, that sucked!)...

Anyway we lost a couple of what we expected to be sharks. The last one did a HUGE run and nearly took all of my mate Justin's line; however he did land a shark earlier and a queenfish while trolling (first troll catch on my boat).
                I landed a shark too. It bit some trim on my boat and left teeth marks. Better that than leaving marks in either of us!!!
                So, time for the pics...

Justin & queenfish

Me and my shark (sorry once again for no shirt!)

Shane I'm looking in your direction for some shark ID. Methinks its a reefie of some sort, but I can't narrow it down.
                Last edited by Alex86; 16-10-13, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Awesome pics mate. Great stuff. maybe a juvenile black tip going by the tail and pecs?? but I don't have a good pic of all the fins. Maybe also a spot tail shark. Ref: Marine fishes of North WA, Swainston, page 22. Its a reef shark of the black tip variety of some description anyhow.
                  Last edited by sharkcaver; 18-10-13, 12:22 AM.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• tomwithannl
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Hi Alex
                    I'm jealous of the fishing conditions as it is still bloody cold down here!
                    The shark is a Spot-Tail Whaler (same family but different to a black tip) and they grow to about 1.5 mtrs. We used to catch them in Darwin and they can be a real nuisance when you are chasing other species.
                    All the best.

Tom
                    1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                    1953 Morris Minor ute
                    1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                    2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Alex86
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Here and there

thanks Shane and Tom, knew id get an answer. Bit of googling definitely looks like the spot tail.

they appear to be somewhat prolific up here.
                      this one was a cranky little bugger. Fun to catch though.

I like the warm weather. Its heating up though, summer is on its way! Believe it or not, I'm waiting for fog to clear right now!
                      Last edited by Alex86; 18-10-13, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X