X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Go a Safari snorkel installed today at ARB.

First time getting anything done with them and very happy with their service.

Went with the Safari as that is what I had on the NW Pajero before.

One thing I noticed is the sucking of air, or probably more so, the turbo sound through the snorkel is quite loud (compared to my NW Pajero).

Anyone else with a snorkel on a Pajero Sport notice the same thing?

I wonder if the turbo is bigger, or is the design of the engine just that much different in which it creates louder sounds through the snorkel.

With the windows up, not so bad, but window down, it is quite loud. (I checked that the air filter was still installed )
    Attached Files
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• TC.Barky
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2011
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by jared01 View Post
      Go a Safari snorkel installed today at ARB.

First time getting anything done with them and very happy with their service.

Went with the Safari as that is what I had on the NW Pajero before.

One thing I noticed is the sucking of air, or probably more so, the turbo sound through the snorkel is quite loud (compared to my NW Pajero).

I wonder if the turbo is bigger, or is the design of the engine just that much different in which it creates louder sounds through the snorkel.

With the windows up, not so bad, but window down, it is quite loud. (I checked that the air filter was still installed )
      Could just be better sealed. If the intake is in the guard as per previous replies it's much simpler to pipe up with less bends than the Paj setup
      MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
      Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Merts
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2011
        • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by jared01 View Post

I have a Safari on my MQ Triton (same engine) and yes, the induction noise through the snorkel is quite noticeable if the driver's window is down. Can't really hear it if the window is up.
        Merts
        Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
        Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• jared01
          • Dec 2016
          • Sydney

I suppose I am getting used to the sound now and becoming to like it maybe. Go to know it is not just me who thinks it is noiser
          2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• NJV6
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2010
            • New Zealand

My Pajero one was noisy until I put a genuine filter back in. Now it makes a nice noise with the window down and no noise with it up. It droned with the aftermarket filter.
            1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
            1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
            2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• DID Dash
              • Aug 2016
              • Australia

I think most snorkels regardless of brand induce some additional noise. My mate has the MMAL snorkel on his MQ Triton. General driving it remains reasonably unobtrusive but under hard acceleration it induces some loud induction roar. Makes it sound pretty tough if that floats your boat. I am happy without a snorkel on my similarly engined Pajero Sport. We will experiment with how much dust enters the air intake on each on a dusty trip in the future out of interest.
              17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• Having Fun
                • Jun 2015
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                Wow really? That's hella unusual these days. Don't think there's any others still running that setup.

Most of the 4x4 utes on the market still get their air from the front passenger guard.

Comment

• Loady1
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Queensland

Anyhoo, Safari snorkel arrived yesterday $369 got stuck in today, installed (diy). Drive to Brisbane on weekend will see how it goes for noise, performance, economy etc.
                  Late 2016 PS 5 seat. Bridgestone ATRs, Kings KCRS-23, KCFS-55, Bilsteins , PROVENT 200, Safari snorkel, bash plates.
                  Hayman Reese towbar. Tow pro elite.

Comment

• dreamerman
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                    Most of the 4x4 utes on the market still get their air from the front passenger guard.
                    My Actyon Sports (sold) gets air intake like my NX.
                    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• denisp
                      • Dec 2018
                      • Mt Eliza

Will know for sure in a couple of weeks when hopefully on dry dirt roads. But having the air intake at the top of the wheel arch and protected from direct dust intake by a plastic cowl seems OK to me. Most of the dust will be generated at the bottom of the wheel and thrown to the rear, under the body. The air into the intake should be picked up from the front of the wheel arch where there is a mud flap in front of the wheel.
                      That's my theory, but it might get shot down pretty soon.

Comment

• Loady1
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Queensland

The air intake that was removed from inside the guard (to fit the snorkel) had an apurtureof 35mm by 85mm oval that narrowed to 25mm internally. Hardly seems enough for a 2.4 litre engine given that inlet was nowhere near a direct airflow source. My 675 motorcycle has a larger inlet cross section.
                        Late 2016 PS 5 seat. Bridgestone ATRs, Kings KCRS-23, KCFS-55, Bilsteins , PROVENT 200, Safari snorkel, bash plates.
                        Hayman Reese towbar. Tow pro elite.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X