• Show
Clear All
  • pajeromack
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • NSW

Which offroad map app for iOS?

Hey all,

Have a fair bit of itunes credit to spend.
    Would like to get a good set of offroad offline maps for my iPhone & iPad to use as a GPS when offroad in Queensland.
    After something which has high-resolution topographical maps with up to date details on the local tracks with a reasonably slick UI.

I see that popular apps include HEMA 4WD maps, MudMap and Memory map. \

What one should I get? Do I need any in-app-purchases?

Cheers.
  • Calspec
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • SA

Avenza PDF Maps I find to be excellent. I have purchased on line maps like Hema, SPatial Vision and the national Geoscience Topo 250K series maps and they all work with this app perfectly. There is an in app 'store' which you can use to locate available maps in any area.
    01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.

Comment

• Jimbo2
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2012
      • Bendigo

Hema have a new 150K map and I am told its on their app and a host of other maps too I believe. for $99
      The good its a Hema, great support works
      The resolution is not quite to the same level as the topo maps though though.

VMS has an app for $99 that has full set of topo maps down the east coast, you need to plan ahead and down load the ones you need. Its OK, but transition from one map to the next is no where as good as the hema I believe.
      The good: High Resolution, Great map set, 3d rendering if you want it.

Mud maps has a similar program for ~$100 Have not used it, mud map seems to get more negative reviews.

memory map is good to use, (once you get used to it)
      Down side is the cost of the map sets, and that preloading the maps for an area can be tedious and a bit hit and miss.

From what I can tell all are reasonable, none perfect, and all seem to take a while to figure out how to use them.
      Hope this helps a bit, rather than confuse.

I have memory map and the VMS app on the phone (recent purchase, was cheaper than buying an extra map set for memory map), and a Hema navigator in the car. as stated above none are perfect. Will post more after I try the VMS system next week.
      2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

• Pajero12
        • Dec 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
        Hey all,

Have a fair bit of itunes credit to spend.
        Would like to get a good set of offroad offline maps for my iPhone & iPad to use as a GPS when offroad in Queensland.
        After something which has high-resolution topographical maps with up to date details on the local tracks with a reasonably slick UI.

I see that popular apps include HEMA 4WD maps, MudMap and Memory map. \

What one should I get? Do I need any in-app-purchases?

Cheers.
        Hello,

It depends how much detail you want to go for... I use an app called maps.me which is an offline app. It takes up about 300mb to download Australia and runs off of your phones GPS - this means that you can have your phone on airplane mode and it will still locate you).

It does show a lot of off road (I say road because there are dirt roads) trails, be it walking, hiking, running, mountain biking or 4x4ing.

It's an awesome app because it also has the names of tracks.

I personally have it installed on my ipad because it's bigger than my phone. It's an awesome map and have used it in many situations.

Also know that it is a 2d map with no satellite imagery, or topography
        NW GL. DiD Auto with 265/75 St Maxx on 17" Alloys, Factory Steel bullbar
        MODS: TJM Airtec Snorkel | Bilstein Shocks with King Springs | full bushskinz bash plates | LED Lightbar | Rhino Platform | GME XRS UHF platform mounted antenna w folding bracket | Kings Awning | Ultragauge | Dual Battery | Rear Storage System | Paddle Shift | M&M Lockup Mate

Comment

• pajeromack
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • NSW

I've got a 64gb iPhone so storing maps shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X