• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveH
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • sydney

Catch Can install with snorkel & 2nd battery

There have been many installs of the Chip Tuning HP200 catch can but most seem to cost a lot of money. The problem for a lot of us is we have snorkels and second batteries. This means that the best spots for installing the catch can are already in use. I saw a post from Paj People 2009 and the catch can was installed between the radiator and washer bottle. Many thanks Sally for the post as I knew I could fit the catch can in that spot.

In terms of cost for oil resistant hose Pertek quoted me $50 a metre and I could only use it in straight sections as the bend radius was far too big. I looked at silicon fittings and they would cost me $15 to $30 each for elbows and of course I still need joiner/ reducers, hose clamps and where do I get a bracket? I have notice some posts with what look like radiator hoses but I’m not sure how long they will last and being black rubber I am concerned I cannot see what is going on inside the hose.

I decided to see if I could do the whole job myself for less than $50. The good news for me is I have an oxy set and can weld the bits I need.

Here is what I did in case anyone wishes to do the same. BTW I went for cheap clear plastic hose on the basis that it is so cheap I can replace it every 1 to 2 years for $2.50.

First I noted the standard plastic fitting going into the turbo intake is an odd size. It is smaller than 25mm (1”) and bigger that 20mm (3/4”) though you could force a 25mm fitting to suit.

To save cost I decide to use standard 25mm copper plumbing fittings, 25mm plastic pipe and hose clamps. I adapted a 25mm elbow to the standard size of the Pajero fittings. I have pics of the elbow when cut and when silver soldered together. For the bracket I used one of the wife’s steel garden stakes and cut and welded it to suit.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

In terms of cost I used
    9x hose clamps $20. These are stainless steel but cheaper ones would be just as good
    1m of 25mm plastic hose $5. Only need less than half in practise
    Silver solder rod (5% silver) $7. Only used about 1/3 of the rod
    4 x 25mm copper elbows $10
    1 x 25mm copper joiner $2
    Garden stake $1.70
    Total $45.70 + gas and a few odd nuts and bolts
    Attached Files
    2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Matched content

Collapse
Working...
X