• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomato
    • Jul 2013
    • Slovakia

2.8 td boost pressure?

Hello guys, i want to ask how big pressure i can set on my 4M40 engine...
    I made some experiments and i raise my pressure to 1,5 bar, and my head or head gasket gone...
    I dont know if it is caused because of raising pressure...but i dont know
    To everybody, every raising of pressure was done together with raising of fuel amount...
  • Pauly
    • Feb 2009

1.5 bar(21psi) is miles to high for the 4m40. I used to run 14psi which is about 1ish bar and that was probably too high. Ended off dropping it back to 12psi(0.82 Bar) and upped the fueling slightly and its been happy ever since. I did a full rebuild and made a custom 3" turbo dump pipe and fitted 3" straight through exhaust. Totally different car

Comment

• Goodsy
      Who ya gunna call....
      • Dec 2010
      • Hervey Bay

That boost with the compression ratio over 20:1 you are really pushing it!
      I'm running a peak boost of 22psi with a compression ratio on 17 to 1.
      It settles fast to 6-14 psi.
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        1.5 bar(21psi) is miles to high for the 4m40. I used to run 14psi which is about 1ish bar and that was probably too high. Ended off dropping it back to 12psi(0.82 Bar) and upped the fueling slightly and its been happy ever since. I did a full rebuild and made a custom 3" turbo dump pipe and fitted 3" straight through exhaust. Totally different car
        Agree there. 10-12 psi would be safeish.....
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• pajeroman3lt
          • Nov 2012
          • taree

My NJ has been at 15psi for 6 months now and is running great.

Comment

• Pauly
            • Feb 2009

But Goodsy you're running a 4m41 which is designed to run at those pressures. Even if we lower the compression ration the old 4m40 are not very good on cylinder heads so adding pressure is just asking for trouble.

I agree you can run them at 14-15 PSI for a long time and there are no adverse side effects in the short term but what about in 1 or 2 years time? After spending over $4k on a rebuild(and that's with me doing everything except the machining) I'm not really keen to see how far it can be pushed.

Just be careful. Up to 15psi is probably safe and do-able in the old 4m40's but beyond that you're really asking for some problems

Comment

• Goodsy
              Who ya gunna call....
              • Dec 2010
              • Hervey Bay

I thought I said that. I'm running a higher boost because of the lower compression rato of 17:1
              The 2.8's have a compression ratio of over 20:1 meaning a lower boost is safe.
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• schnitzel
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Bendigo

My 4m40t In the delica has been running 15 psi since I bought it 7 years ago. Previous owner had fuel adjusted as well.
                Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Pauly
                  • Feb 2009

Didn't mean for it to sound like that goodsy. Was more referring to the fact even if we dropped our compression ratio to match what your 4m41 runs I dont think our heads could take the pressure

Comment

• Betz
                    • May 2012
                    • 'stralia

Having done a head I am a bit terrified to seek more power out of my 2.8

My plan is;

Boost & EGR gauges in place (for reference values)
                    Delica ecu mod + tune (not sure what items needed for this yet)
                    Bigger or second IC & port match intake
                    Extrude Hone & port match exhaust manifold
                    Hybrid turbo, dump & 3" system

Before I do any of the above I'm going to get another car to get to work so I can pay for all the failures
                    2001 NM 2.8tdi GL, 5 spd Manual, MM Bullbar, Dual Batt, 400w Inverter, Boo's intercooler, sump and tranny guards, Dobinsons HD raised springs, Strut/Spring spacers, Bilstein shocks, Front Aussie Locker, 255/85x16 Cooper Discoverer S/T, much more to come....

Comment

• Goodsy
                      Who ya gunna call....
                      • Dec 2010
                      • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      Didn't mean for it to sound like that goodsy. Was more referring to the fact even if we dropped our compression ratio to match what your 4m41 runs I dont think our heads could take the pressure
                      Got you now. All good.
                      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Jonos
                        • Nov 2013
                        • New Zealand

Originally posted by Betz View Post
                        My plan is;

Delica ecu mod + tune (not sure what items needed for this yet)
                        Would love to know more info on this mod? did a quick google search and could not seem to bring any info up on it.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X