• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Local council has a free drop off point in tip and a large storage drum you can pour your oil into and hold onto your drum. Local supercheap also now has free oil collection. Cant believe the people on here who openly admit to dumping or burying it...
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dolphin
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008

our local council charges for oil disposal as well as paint disposal this is why i use the good old method of down the back yard hole. what i did years ago was i had a mate with an industrial post hole digger and i got him to drill a deep hole of around 4 to 5 meters deep then i filled this hole up with beach sand and fitted a concrete lid to keep water etc out. yes its on my property and in a spot where it will never be dug up for any type of building works, i,m just putting this back where it originally came from, texas teed.
      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• sub888
        • Oct 2012
        • Barossa Valley

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
        our local council charges for oil disposal as well as paint disposal this is why i use the good old method of down the back yard hole. what i did years ago was i had a mate with an industrial post hole digger and i got him to drill a deep hole of around 4 to 5 meters deep then i filled this hole up with beach sand and fitted a concrete lid to keep water etc out. yes its on my property and in a spot where it will never be dug up for any type of building works, i,m just putting this back where it originally came from, texas teed.
        Wow,
        Have you thought how this could effect the water table?

Comment

• Toddyh
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Lalor Park, NSW

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
          I actually work in the contaminated land field. What you are doing is illegal. Obviously that doesn't worry you. Maybe this will.
          If you ever go to redevelop your property and council deem there may even be a tiny risk of contamination they will include a requirement for a site investigation under SEPP55 (sometimes it's even a standard clause in their DA conditions). If this investigation then encounters contamination (which it will because this waste oil will cause contamination), you as the property owner will be up for the remediation costs. Think thousands of $$ for a small site and potentially millions for a large site. If the hydrocarbon (oil) contamination has impacted the groundwater then open your wallet even further.

If a neighbour spots you and reports you to the EPA they will inspect the site and issue either an investigation order or a clean up notice. You will then have to call a consultant (like me) and get them to investigate your site. This alone will cost between $15-100K depending on the size of the site and detail required.

By all means keep doing what you are doing. Keeps people like me in business. Just get ready to pay for it.
          2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
            I actually work in the contaminated land field. What you are doing is illegal. Obviously that doesn't worry you. Maybe this will.
            If you ever go to redevelop your property and council deem there may even be a tiny risk of contamination they will include a requirement for a site investigation under SEPP55 (sometimes it's even a standard clause in their DA conditions). If this investigation then encounters contamination (which it will because this waste oil will cause contamination), you as the property owner will be up for the remediation costs. Think thousands of $$ for a small site and potentially millions for a large site. If the hydrocarbon (oil) contamination has impacted the groundwater then open your wallet even further.

If a neighbour spots you and reports you to the EPA they will inspect the site and issue either an investigation order or a clean up notice. You will then have to call a consultant (like me) and get them to investigate your site. This alone will cost between $15-100K depending on the size of the site and detail required.

By all means keep doing what you are doing. Keeps people like me in business. Just get ready to pay for it.
            Wasting ya time mate. Blokes like this don't give a stuff about much except them selves. Hence their actions...
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• exceeding
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Toddyh View Post
              This alone will cost between $15-100K
              but the money saved from all those pesky tip fees should easily cover it...

Seriously dolphin, it's a dumb act to contaminate your own property (and God knows what else), but it's even dumber to admit/document it in a public domain...

Comment

• schnitzel
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Bendigo

Been involved in a couple of contaminated site clean ups and smallest bill so far has been $500000 , biggest a tad over 12 million all sites less than 1/2 acre so costs can be huge and I only got involved in the clean up had zero to do with the contamination, have seen a private individual fined $50000 dollars plus stuck with a $100000 cleanup over 400 liters of waste oil.
                Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • Maitland, NSW

I see your point dolphin but it's just not valid or logical.
                  Used automotive oils contain deadly contaminates such as benzene, dioxins, lead, cadmium and a host of other nasties
                  97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                  97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• ajmartin450
                    • Aug 2010
                    • Forest Hill Melbourne Vic

sump oil

supercheap have a dump point

Comment

• Bogger
                      Unregistered as asked
                      • May 2011

Derryn Hinch would say .................. shame shame shame
                      I'd say .................. if you will do that to your own backyard what would you do to the roo's backyard
                      So perhaps the new 4x4 slogan should be ................. don't bugger the bush ........... or your own backyard
                      The saddest part is the correct form of disposal takes so little effort ?

Comment

• dolphin
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2008

guys, i have just noticed this thread regarding the dumping of waiste oils.
                        now for some weard reason i have had no input in this matter whatsoever, either my son has had a go whilst i was away from the computor or a hacker has used my name , this has got me stumped. so please disregard any input on this thread reagding my name Dolphin.
                        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Hatto
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Mandurah WA

I never knew SCA took oil but I've always used my local tip. They used go charge years ago but now its free. What a disgrace that people actually think is ok to dump oil into the ground at home! There is a reason why you can't just chuck it in the bin for landfill! How hard is it to keep a 20L drum at home and probably once a year take it to the local tip to dispose of it correctly. Honestly some people should think about their actions before they perform them... and type them! Even if it does cost to tip it, then its just apart of the service costs. That's why dealers will charge for it.
                          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• kerway
                            • Aug 2010
                            • North West Sydney

I used to do all my mid service oil and filter changes myself but since buying the Pajero have been taking it to my local trusted mechanic to do it. He owns the shop and is the only mechanic that does the work.
                            I supply the oil and filter, he changes it and charges me 20 minutes labour. Think last time, it was $25 -30 and he disposes of the dirty oil.
                            While he has it up on the hoist and is changing the oil, I give the underneath a good check over.
                            Works for me and I no longer have dirty oil to dispose of.
                            NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2014
                              • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
                              I see your point dolphin but it's just not valid or logical.
                              Used automotive oils contain deadly contaminates such as benzene, dioxins, lead, cadmium and a host of other nasties
                              agreed the stuff that comes out the sump is much different to the stuff that comes out of the ground.Indeed the stuff that goes into the engine is much different than that which comes out of the ground.
                              Why do we change it?Cos its "dirty".I do not hold withthis "scam business" Each council etc is doing the best they know how at that point in time.We should all be doing the "right thing" too.Dumping it is 50 years out of date
                              2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                              BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• peejay68au
                                Valued Member
                                • Jul 2007
                                • nsw

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
                                I never knew SCA took oil but I've always used my local tip.[1]:
                                Neither did I until the other day. Looking through a cattledog I noticed it. Looked up the areas that do it and the grafton store is one of two in nsw that does, which is handy since they're just up the road. Bin was halfway full, then it was all the way full when I left.
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X