• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bisho
    • Jan 2012
    • Adelaide Hills

DIY Overhead Console

I've shown off my centre console mod now to show you my overhead console.

Being an ex-cabinet maker and still having access to my dads workshop, I take every opportunity to put these skills to use as there aint that much 'cabinetry' when it comes to 4WD mods.

I really like an integrated look without cutting/drilling original parts and surfaces for my mods, so I came up with this design.

It all attaches through the existing light penetration.

Like my centre console, this is all MDF. I used 3mm on the sides, the curve and the large flats and used 9mm for the facades and for the supports. Finished with a grey primer that blends quite well with the roof lining. Very light, the only real weight is the UHF unit.

I have mounted a battery monitor and the aux tank gauge/pump switch below the UHF.

The colour is a much closer match to the roof lining than the flash has shown here.

I have used an extension to run the mic down to the centre console as can been seen in the pics in the link at the top of this post, the dangling cord can be quite annoying.

Thanks for looking.

Peter
    Last edited by Bisho; 26-09-12, 12:30 PM.
    2003 NP GLS DiD 3.2L Auto, ARB Bullbar, Narva Ultima 225's, GME TX3220, Dual Batteries, LED Rear W/Lights, Rhino HD Bars, 60L Long Ranger Aux Tank, Ebay Snorkel (no shame), Unifilter, Polyair Springs, Maxxis AT771 265/70/16, Bisho's Custom O/Head Console (pics) & Bisho's Custom Centre Console wtih Classic Chocolate Milk Holders!!(pics)...to be continued...
  • Downunder35m
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2011
    • Near Melbourne

Nice one, even I'm ususally against overhead stuff!
    How did you get the cables up there?
    Last time I tried I gave up
    '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
    Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Hi Peter

The console looks great, mate. While not a professional woodworker I am a keen amateur and appreciate see a job well done.

Cheers

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Bisho
        • Jan 2012
        • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
        Nice one, even I'm ususally against overhead stuff!
        How did you get the cables up there?
        Last time I tried I gave up
        You probably got as far as these photos show but from the top of the A pillar I went across the front of the lining.

Note the red arrow on the photo. You can push it in from the front edge there across the top of the windscreen.

Once I got near to the sunvisor clip, I used the yellow tongue plastic strip to poke through the hole for the light in the roof lining to the front where the cables are and taped the cables to the end pulling them back through.

Hope that helps if you decide to go ahead with it again.

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
        Hi Peter

The console looks great, mate. While not a professional woodworker I am a keen amateur and appreciate see a job well done.

Cheers

Geoff
        Thanks Geoff
        2003 NP GLS DiD 3.2L Auto, ARB Bullbar, Narva Ultima 225's, GME TX3220, Dual Batteries, LED Rear W/Lights, Rhino HD Bars, 60L Long Ranger Aux Tank, Ebay Snorkel (no shame), Unifilter, Polyair Springs, Maxxis AT771 265/70/16, Bisho's Custom O/Head Console (pics) & Bisho's Custom Centre Console wtih Classic Chocolate Milk Holders!!(pics)...to be continued...

Comment

• gemster
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Gold Coast

mmmm lots of sharp edges for heads to hit dont laugh ive hit mine twice then took it out....still reach up for mike
          YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
          And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
          ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Downunder35m
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2011
            • Near Melbourne

Thanks, at least it confirms I'm not too stupid to get a few cables up the pillar ROFL.
            '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....

Comment

• Bisho
              • Jan 2012
              • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by gemster View Post
              mmmm lots of sharp edges for heads to hit dont laugh ive hit mine twice then took it out....still reach up for mike
              I'm trying not to laugh.... Thats a fair way out in front/side of the driving position - not too far off the rear vision mirror, some 45cm! Mind you I am average height. This photo might give a better perspective...

Comment

• Downunder35m
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2011
                • Near Melbourne

I can tell from experience in rolling my Paj over that a console in that position can be very dangerous.
                But in case you are not intending to roll over I can't see a problem.
                If you check these old aftermarket consoles from the early 90' you'll notice they were even bigger and many people used them.
                For a touring setup it is very nice, maybe a slot to store some trip maps would be a nice addition tough

Comment

• Bisho
                  • Jan 2012
                  • Adelaide Hills

Well yeah, a roll over could be a problem, didn't factor that one in. I guess that is what prototypes are for - get concepts out there and to iron the bugs out.

Note to self - 'Install airbags in next console.'

Peter

Comment

• Downunder35m
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • Near Melbourne

Airbags! Good idea!!
                    After that addition go to a testing facility and get ADR approval.
                    With that in hand build them for all current 4WD models and make a furtune on Ebay selling for 1.000$ each.
                    500 without the ADR sticker ROFL

Comment

• Bisho
                      • Jan 2012
                      • Adelaide Hills

Mmmmm...thinking, testing facility...when is your next rollover?

Comment

• steve67
                        • May 2011
                        • Geraldton WA.

Don't suppose you have a template you could post up?And nice work.
                        2001 nm pajero,cargo barrier,roof racks,alloys,reverse camera ,snorkel,24 inch led light bar,driving lights,window tint,bridgestone duellers AT LT,bonnet protector, weather shields,bluetooth hands free car kit, roof basket,phillips +80 globes,coil spacers,led interior lighting,electric brake controller.Stainless extractors,tom tom gps, spare wheel bag, multi media head unit,40 litre Engel,spare wheel lift kit,engel solar mat,dual batteries awning with led strip lighting.xrox front bar

Comment

• Bisho
                          • Jan 2012
                          • Adelaide Hills

Yeah mate, I will get something up but probably a couple of weeks away - goin on a short trip but will post what I can to help.
                          Cheers
                          Peter

Comment

• Emu
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Lake Eildon

This is the neatest roof console I've seen yet. Great job - I love it!!
                            NJ Escape GLX, 3.5 DOHC
                            Alloy bullbar, Narva spotties, GME-TX3500 UHF
                            NL GLS seats and centre console
                            JVC stereo, alpine fronts, pioneer 6x9 rears
                            Moon roof

Comment

• Pickle
                              Administrator
                              • Jun 2007
                              • All over Oz

Originally posted by Emu View Post
                              This is the neatest roof console I've seen yet. Great job - I love it!!
                              Yes great job, pity my Challenger has a factory one already.
                              Dave
                              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X