• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Be wary with apple products. Downunder mentioned this above: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...6&postcount=26 . Apple requires a resistance load on the middle pins for charging to be effective. I suspect that is NJ's problem. If you scout around on ebay, some listings specifically mention NOT FOR IPAD/IPHONE. I can only suggest if your not capable of performing surgery, then you make sure the listing states its suitable for Apple.

I just bought a couple of the chargers below (I have one already and proven its ipod compatible at least), noting it wont supply 2.1A at the top port if the bottom port is in use at the same time. . If I really want to charge more than one tablet/ipod etc, I'll just put them in a multi cig socket (certainly not pretty, but a cheap option for charging multiple devices for the seldom times I need to do so) .

I do like Downunder's 4 port mod though and if Steves 4 port hub is apple compatible, that's an easy off the shelf solution.

I'm actually surprised there is not a cheap, off the shelf solution to this problem in the modern smartphone/tablet age.

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Downunder35m
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2011
      • Near Melbourne

I had to look into this again as a friend wanted to get rid of his double adapter.
      His problem was that he needed an Apple port as well as at least one fast charge for the wife's phone.
      He also wanted the cables to be gone if possible.

I opted for a similar solution to my 4 port hub but he was in a hurry and already had a hand full of USB chargers sitting around.
      So we simply took one Apple charger that was modified with the USB cable soldered on (to prevent contact problems) and another Apple one in a similar way, but with the 2.1V supply removed and the data cables bridged.
      Added the cables for the 12V supply and it all went behind the radio.
      Hard part was to get the USB leads up and trough the air vents...
      But no he only has 2 USB plugs sticking out of the vents and is he needs them they can be pulled out to reach the windscreen.
      Not the most elegant solution but was only cheap and easy.
      For the phone we used a lead with a mini USB connection and a micro USB adapter cable so the port can be used for other purposes as well.

Since more and more devices now support hosting capabilities on the USB port I was thinking of modifying my hub so I can provide a powered USB data connection on two of the ports.
      This way you can plug in your phone and another device to exchange data directly using the devices filemanager.
      Thought it might be handy one day.
      Only downside is that I never checked if that sort of transfer will work with normal USB cables.
      For the hosting capabilities pin 5 of the micro USB needs to be either grounded or grounded over a 1kOhm resistor depending on the device specs.
      If worse comes to worse a male USB to male USB can be used with an OTG adapter to allow the data transfer.
      '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
      Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• stevemc181
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Thornlie/Perth

From what I can tell regarding the Wagan Quad Port Hub, it looks like it will charge iPads no problem, only device in the user manual it specifically states it won't charge is Samsung Tablets.

9.6 Model (#2892):
        All 4 ports can charge iPads and other mobile electronics simultaneously.

Samsung tablets require a different charging configuration. This unit is not
        compatible with Samsung tablets

http://richardsolo.com/quad-usb-powe...x#.Ut8uHv-Q-po
        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
          Be wary with apple products. Downunder mentioned this above: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...6&postcount=26 . Apple requires a resistance load on the middle pins for charging to be effective. I suspect that is NJ's problem.
          My phone wasn't an iPhone, but I suspect it was a similar problem. New phone (Xperia Z), dash cam and Nexus 7 all charge from the devices without problem.

I never had trouble with the phone on the cigarette style adaptors.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Downunder35m
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2011
            • Near Melbourne

If it states it charges an Iphone but no Samsung tablet I would only bother if I only have Apple products.
            And since the Apple solution is not even USB conform I would wonder who is to blame if an Applecharger kills the data ports of an non-Apple product...
            '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....

Comment

• j3st3r
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2011
              • Mildura

I use these in our cars http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Port...31d5a6f&_uhb=1 If they can keep my wifes phone charged while keeping my note 2 charged, running gps and playing tunes then most other devices shouldnt be a problem. You can find them for around $6 delivered on ebay the one above just had all the specs laid out
              PB MY12 LS Challenger, Auto, White.
              Window Tint, Hayman Reese Towpack, NudgeBar, BushSkinz Bash Plates, HID High Beam Kit, 28" LED Light Bar, Oricom UHF280, Maxxis 980 A/T, Lovells CRR-69 Springs, SPV EGR Mk3.1

Comment

• Downunder35m
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2011
                • Near Melbourne

They are good, but many Android devices will refuse to be charged on them.

Comment

• j3st3r
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2011
                  • Mildura

Interesting, we only have android devices. Must have got lucky so far all our devices charge on them, Samsung and Motorola, the Note 2's charge on the bottom port and the older Motorola on the top.

It may have something to do with the newer Samsung's requiring 2.0A
                  PB MY12 LS Challenger, Auto, White.
                  Window Tint, Hayman Reese Towpack, NudgeBar, BushSkinz Bash Plates, HID High Beam Kit, 28" LED Light Bar, Oricom UHF280, Maxxis 980 A/T, Lovells CRR-69 Springs, SPV EGR Mk3.1

Comment

• Downunder35m
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • Near Melbourne

Could be, but you should get one of the tester and check at what rate your androids are actually charging - I bet they are on only 500mA

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X