• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bladerunner99
    • Apr 2019
    • Sydney

Additional Fuel Filter ???

I am seeking experienced advice on whether I need to fit an additional fuel filter to my 2018 Pajero Sport. I am planning a road trip (next year) and hope to visit some far off outback locations, where I guess fuel quality could be poor.
    Do I need to fit another (2nd), fuel filter or would I be safe enough carrying spare oem replacement filters and change it more frequently.

I am sure I have read somewhere that a post filter of smaller gauge can affect the fuel delivery pressure and I can't see the point of a pre filter when the oem one will do its job, all be it needing more frequent changing if contaminants are present.

Any advice is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Bladerunner99; 30-03-20, 11:50 PM. Reason: Vehicle type added
  • Bladerunner99
    • Apr 2019
    • Sydney

No advice or previous experience out there????

Comment

• klaash
      • May 2020
      • Tasmania

I am new to the world of 4WDing, but have recently replaced the engine and fuel systems in our yacht and given a lot of thought to fuel filtration. It's a different challenge on our yacht as you are looking carrying 1000l that you'll gradually use over months in remote areas until you have the next opportunity to fill up. So a lot more potential for bacterial growth. We've had frequent issues, often in the worst conditions as rough seas stir up sediment in the tank resulting in clogged filters...

Still, in a car any water in the diesel (which your on-engine filter won't deal with) will cause a range of premature wear issues in the engine. If you're planning on keeping the car for a long time I'd get a water separator (but I have no car-based experience on which to base that!). Otherwise replacing the on-engine filter if you run into issues would probably be fine unless you get a really, really bad tank of diesel.

On our yacht I have a Fleetguard FF5013 20micron/10micron primary, followed by a FS1000 10/5micron secondary. Both of those filters are water separators and I've fitted them with vacuum gauges so I can keep an eye on when they need replacing. That's followed by the standard on-engine 5 micron filter, which should see very little in the way of contaminants. Obviously not possible space wise on a normal 4WD!

For my PS, I'm planning on a 10 micron primary with water separator. It's trendy to get a filter with a clear bowl underneath (so you can see water contamination), e.g. Racor 500FG, but in marine applications this is not compliant with a number of standards due to fire risk. I don't know in the automotive industry. Plus having had one for a number of years, I think their utility is limited.

I haven't worked out what filter best fits in the available space (still waiting on my PS!) but I plan on getting the largest water separating spin on filter I can fit and make my own mounting brackets. Filters are $30-$40 for top notch filters (see filterdiscounters.com.au), plus $40 for a spin on mount (e.g. Wix 24770 or Wix 24768). If you size the filter large enough it won't affect delivery pressure (e.g. the filters on the yacht are rated around 400L / hour, but we only use 4L / hour!). Your smaller on-engine filter getting clogged up from bad fuel will have a bigger effect on delivery pressure.

Or I might get lazy and buy an easy to fit kit like this one:

BUT: there's good evidence that a good similar physical size spin on fuel / water seperator/filter will outperform units like this or a Racor (which their bracket also fits).

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

The factory installation has a fuel filter with a water separator and an alarm warning system built in and for many people this is good enough especially if you are not travelling remotely and not filling up out of 200lt drums.

For those that want the extra insurance of an additional filter there are 2 schools of thought.

1. A Pre filter before the factory filter.

2. A post factory filter.

The fuel supply system is a suction system to the HP pump so all connections in the suction system need to be very good as it is not common to have air leaks without any evidence of a fuel leak.

If you are only travelling remotely occassionaly then the use of a Mr Funnel and using an additional fuel additive is a good idea. Some people use a fuel additive/conditioneer all the time as they see it as cheap insurance.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• klaash
          • May 2020
          • Tasmania

Ah cool. I didn't realise that the on-engine filter was that fancy! I'm used to boat diesels where the on engine filter is a last resort. Might have to rethink whether I need one, but the inner-geek in me will probably install a filter. For an appropriately specc'ed filter I really can't see there being an issue to fuel pressure.

Regarding air leaks I assume you meant "is common". In yacht diesels on the suction side I've seen lots of air leaks without diesel leaks.

Comment

• orthodoxs
            • Mar 2018
            • Darwin

[QUOTE=klaash;633521]Ah cool. I didn't realise that the on-engine filter was that fancy! I'm used to boat diesels where the on engine filter is a last resort. Might have to rethink whether I need one, but the inner-geek in me will probably install a filter. For an appropriately specc'ed filter I really can't see there being an issue to fuel pressure.

Another fancier one, says it has a option for a water detection kit and fuel heater + it has a manual fuel pump+ an indicator for filter conditioner.

Comment

• Hill
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Adelaide

PreLine-Plus Pre-Filter Kit PL629DPK

PreLine-Plus for Triton MQ ensures the highest degree of water and particle separation from diesel, maximising your rig's protection.

The above kit uses a Mann 150 fuel water separator filter. The filter theat comes with unit is 30 micron and unit is installed as a primary filter. The kit includes a water detection kit which has an incabin LED and buzzer. Filter is rated at 150L/H.

Efficiency rating of above filter are in below document.

I recently fitted a similiar kit to my 200 series. As filter is installed before factory filter you are provided with an opportunity to detect water before factory filter alarm is triggered. Kits were developed by Asgard Engineering and Direction Plus kits are slightly different. - Asgard supply kits with primer pump head and use a PL150/1 10 micron filter.

Direction Plus kit has easy to follow instructions and includes just about everything you need to install
              including fuse taps.

Recommended filter interval is 10K for 10 micron filter and 40K for 30 micron kit.

The filter medium in the Mann filter is no where as efficient as a Donaldson P...615 which is rated at 3 microns @99 percent efficiency with 99percent water capture (both emulsified and whole).

I believe the Mann Pl150 is very suitable as a primary filter which is able to filter out larger particles and a large percentage of water. The water sensor is an absolute bonus.

Hill
              200 Series
              AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                • Apr 2019
                • Sydney

Thank you all for the information, very helpful.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X