• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hallph
    • Dec 2016
    • Tas

BFG K02 Noise

Hi all,

I bought a NX pajero, 97,000km on the odometer, with the BFG K02 tyres on it; 265 65 R17
    The front 2 are almost new, back 2 are a bit older 50% tread.

Finding them extremely loud and uncomfortable on the highway at anything from 70-110km/hr. Gives me a solid headache and is generally unpleasant.
    Has anyone else found this? I did a search and everyone seems to think they are great?

Got the decibel app out on my phone and measured around 75-80db

Wondering if anybody could check with their apple/android phone for me who has those tyres..
    What is the usual loudness when going at highway speeds?

I've not driven a pajero with road tyres even so am not sure what to expect. Not sure if I go ahead and buy another two BFG tyres to replace the back ones, or try and sell the new fronts and get a new set of 4 that will be quieter (maybe pirelli scorpions?) I am 90% highway driving but go up the snow and into the bush a bit.

Would appreciate some thoughts before I go throw more $ at the problem
  • Pushbike
    • Jun 2017
    • Sydney

Think about this:-
    Noise=sound=vibration=energy.
    If your generating a lot of "waste" energy it has a cost.
    Cost to your personal comfort, less efficient use of driving force and increased wear on parts subjected to the Noise=sound=vibration=energy.
    The subject tyres may be very good at very low speed and traversing difficult terrain but not v good for high speed highway travel.
    Compare experience with mountain bike or motor cycle front Knobby tyre on bitumen.
    My bike tyre profile had a central smooth bead, for road surfaces, with Knobby shoulders for when I hit the dirt. Maybe not ideal for dirt or for road but served very well for many varied surfaces. A noisy bike is a slow bike.

Also in sailing a noisy boat is a slow boat.
    Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
    Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• hallph
      • Dec 2016
      • Tas

Thanks for the reply - although you have not really answered the questions I agree with you 100% - I am just not sure if there is something wrong with these tyres or if this is what they are always like?

They are probably not the best tyre for my intended use (mostly on-road with some but not a lot of off road and snow in the winter). Trying to make the most of the situation I have here.

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
      Think about this:-
      Noise=sound=vibration=energy.
      If your generating a lot of "waste" energy it has a cost.
      Cost to your personal comfort, less efficient use of driving force and increased wear on parts subjected to the Noise=sound=vibration=energy.
      The subject tyres may be very good at very low speed and traversing difficult terrain but not v good for high speed highway travel.
      Compare experience with mountain bike or motor cycle front Knobby tyre on bitumen.
      My bike tyre profile had a central smooth bead, for road surfaces, with Knobby shoulders for when I hit the dirt. Maybe not ideal for dirt or for road but served very well for many varied surfaces. A noisy bike is a slow bike.

Also in sailing a noisy boat is a slow boat.

Comment

• Pushbike
        • Jun 2017
        • Sydney

I had a look at the BFG web site and these tyres are hard wearing (hard compound) rugged "AT" type.
        Another consideration. How do these tyres effect your steering? Do you get "notching" when changing lanes?
        Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
        Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• jol
          • Jul 2007
          • Sydney, Australia

Yes they are noisy, you should try them on an NM! You will find road tyres are much quieter and will have better fuel economy.

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

Any aggressive AT tyres will be noisy on the road. It's the trade off for when you go bush and they are brilliant.

I had a set of Toyo Opats before the BFGs and they weren't quiet either.

If you don't need them for the tracks all that often then get a less aggressive pattern.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• hallph
              • Dec 2016
              • Tas

Thanks all.

I should clarify - noisy I am fine with - but headache inducing vibrations/noise is this normal?

I am almost thinking it must be a wheel bearing or similar.

I've used the K02s on a VW toureg over January which were fine. Of course the VW would have more sound deadening but the sound difference here is something else comparatively

Just wondering if it's likely to be the worn back tyres which could be causing it before I spend decent money on replacing them. Therefore asking if anyone else could potentially measure the decibels of their paj with the BFG K02s on it (done quite easily in 5mins with the free decibel app)

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

You shouldn't be getting vibrations. Sounds like a balance or alignment problem to me.

I'll get that app and give it a try next time I'm out.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• NJV6
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • New Zealand

Well documented about ko2’s being horrible on gen 3&4. I took mine off at half worn and chucked em in the shed. Much better on the older gen 2’s and other vehicles with a chassis.

Noise did my head in! It would go quiet at 120km/h
                  1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                  1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                  2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Agressive tread AT, AT/MT and MT tyre's need more regular tyre rotations than HT or mild AT tyre's, otherwise they get heel and toe wear on the outer tread blocks and this is what causes the noise and harshness. On a BFG these should be rotated at least every 10,000 kms if the wheel alignment is good, more if the wheel alignment is average, AT/MT every 7,500kms and MT every 5,000 kms.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• hallph
                      • Dec 2016
                      • Tas

That would be much appreciated, thank you Ian.

I am thinking they are far louder than they should be, possibly alignment or uneven tyre wear?
                      Will be interested to compare.

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                      You shouldn't be getting vibrations. Sounds like a balance or alignment problem to me.

I'll get that app and give it a try next time I'm out.

Comment

• hallph
                        • Dec 2016
                        • Tas

Interesting - thanks - what did you replace them with? Maybe I will end up trying to sell my two new tyres and swapping to something different.
                        What is different in the Gen3 and 4 that causes this?

Apologies if I missed anything in the search, new to Pajero world and this forum.

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                        Well documented about ko2’s being horrible on gen 3&4. I took mine off at half worn and chucked em in the shed. Much better on the older gen 2’s and other vehicles with a chassis.

Noise did my head in! It would go quiet at 120km/h

Comment

• hallph
                          • Dec 2016
                          • Tas

Makes sense OJ. Very possible these tyres didn't see the rotation required from their previous owner. Will keep this in mind when I end up with new ones.

Comment

• spot01
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by hallph View Post
                            Interesting - thanks - what did you replace them with? Maybe I will end up trying to sell my two new tyres and swapping to something different.
                            What is different in the Gen3 and 4 that causes this?

Apologies if I missed anything in the search, new to Pajero world and this forum.
                            The Gen 3 & 4 don't have a separate chassis like most other 4WDs, leading to more noise transmission into the cabin.
                            The independent rear suspension can also lead to uneven tyre wear compared to solid axles, which is why regular tyre rotations can be important.

Try swapping the rear tyres to the opposite side to see if that helps to reduce the noise (you may have to run them for a while to allow the tread to wear in). This will also introduce you to the process for jacking the vehicle (read the handbook first to identify the correct jack location points) - this is better practiced at home on a level surface before having to do it on the roadside one day. Or you could get a tyre shop to balance the rear tyres & put them back on the opposite sides (be sure to mark them so they go back on the way you want).

PS - the more aggressive tread &/or LT tyres will usually make more noise than HTs - my car is like a limo on HTs but not on the noisy & rough LTs.
                            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Mundy55
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2015
                              • Gold Coast

I've had KO2s since new and have just done 100k with another 10k in them probably, doing a 5 tyre rotation every 5k. However, like others, I have found them very noisy although I am not sure its all their fault. I think the paj's cabin noise suppression is poor. I'll be looking for slightly less aggressive A/T tyres soon which will be quieter. Any suggestions welcome.
                              Last edited by Mundy55; 03-03-20, 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X