• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crazyivan
    • Apr 2017
    • Atherton

winch

hi all looking at getting a Domin8r Xtreme 12,000lb Winch | Our Toughest Winch Ever! | 7.2hp Motor | 26m Synthetic Rope | Wired/Wireless Controller | Adventure Kings we don't do extreme off road any advice?
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Crazyivan View Post
    hi all looking at getting a Domin8r Xtreme 12,000lb Winch | Our Toughest Winch Ever! | 7.2hp Motor | 26m Synthetic Rope | Wired/Wireless Controller | Adventure Kings we don't do extreme off road any advice?

Why are you getting one? Do you really need it? Are going to change front shocks/springs to take extra weight< As you said...we dont do any heavy off road driving. I,ve done a fair bit of off roading in the last 5 years and some serious outback work for 20 years before that. Havent needed a winch in the last 5 years. Probably used it about 5 times before that..but that was in very remote areas. Used it more often to pull others out of trouble. I have heard good things about Runva winches. 12,000 is over kill.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Crazyivan
      • Apr 2017
      • Atherton

i have already a blue max shocks and king springs we like doing a bit more sand and mud stuff soon just getting the old boy ready for helping others or my self as i don't like the factory recovery pints that are just ship tie downs

Comment

• Crazyivan
        • Apr 2017
        • Atherton

for the price and the new break system it is great also carries plenty of good reviews

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

for the price and the new break system it is great also carries plenty of good reviews
          They are great price I know the odd bloke whom has & they have no complaints.
          I think if your dunking in the creek regulary possibly an issue.

Personally I like the weight of Carbon & Sherpa winches, alomost 3 times the loot
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

i have already a blue max shocks and king springs we like doing a bit more sand and mud stuff soon just getting the old boy ready for helping others or my self as i don't like the factory recovery pints that are just ship tie downs

Who told you that bullshit? They are not just ship tie downs but rated genuine factory installed tie down points. This subject comes up every month and the same answer applies..
            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Crazyivan
              • Apr 2017
              • Atherton

yes you may be right just talked to my uncle whom is a top 4wd guy . he said why the hell do you need a winch which adds a lot of extra weight and also would require a second battery to be safe.
              And also said the tracks you do you can get a hand winch kit witch works ok . I dont think we need one right now so thanks all will get one when i need it lol.
              just wanted to look like the big boy's .
              and yes i have heard the tie down points used correctly are good as gold .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

yes you may be right just talked to my uncle whom is a top 4wd guy . he said why the hell do you need a winch which adds a lot of extra weight and also would require a second battery to be safe.
                And also said the tracks you do you can get a hand winch kit witch works ok . I dont think we need one right now so thanks all will get one when i need it lol.
                Pajero off-road snatch recovery demonstration, showing strength of monocoque body construction and recovery points. Test was conducted by Mitsubishi Motors A...
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

No need to look like the big boys. More often than not the paj will go where they get stuck. Paj is a hugely under rated 4wd. Many of the "big boys" are just piss and wind anyway! You will also be surprised at how quickly the weight adds up when accessorizing your car as well. Although a brilliant and capable off road and towing vehicle..weight needs to be taken into consideration...especially when towing and loading car up for extended trips. Put the money you saved into a transmission lock up kit that will save fuel, save your transmission and make driving easier.

Hello, and welcome to MM 4x4. Visit our web site at https://www.mm4x4.com.au As a long time forum member (m_and_m) since 2010, we've been Pajero enthusiasts and off-grid 4x4 adventurers for quite some time. This forum has been an inspiration, and proves what a community of liked minded people can achieve. There are so many
                  Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Crazyivan
                    • Apr 2017
                    • Atherton

good advice i have a friend that owns a 206 poo troll with a petrol 6 and he has been doing 4wd alot and he siad i still have not gone to a winch. he has a turfer hand winch. Think the extra weight and not onto full on stuff my snatch kit might be all i need untill i get more serious

Comment

• drgtr
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Rosemeadow

in my 15 years of off roading and owning 4wd I never owned a winch even when I had bullbars that could install a winch.

I never liked the idea or that extra weight.
                      Its too the point my Pajero is only running a nudge bar this time around . Lighter and more aero dynamic. Im saving on fuel. Im becoming cheap the older I get lol

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by drgtr View Post
                        in my 15 years of off roading and owning 4wd I never owned a winch even when I had bullbars that could install a winch.

I never liked the idea or that extra weight.
                        Its too the point my Pajero is only running a nudge bar this time around . Lighter and more aero dynamic. Im saving on fuel. Im becoming cheap the older I get lol

Maybe smarter with age?
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• drgtr
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                          Maybe smarter with age?
                          lol here here!

Comment

• 2bad4u
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                            Maybe smarter with age?
                            Haha. I'm the opposite (or just lazy with age). I have never owned a winch in the last 35 years and always relied on high lift jacks, shovels, rocks, sticks, small children, etc., to get me out of a bog. Now that I am older (and have a stuffed back) I can't be bothered trying to dig myself out anymore. So just fitted a winch. Now all I have is the winch, a set of Tred's and a small shovel.

However, I used to always travel with other people but I have a few solo trips coming up and the winch will give me that little bit of extra security / reassurance.
                            Warren
                            2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                            2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• TC.Barky
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2011
                              • Melbourne

Just something to consider, hand winch weighs about the same, especially given you have to run steel cable with them. Granted they aren't hanging out past the front wheels.

Kings winches have been good for a while now, especially at the price. Don't use mine a heap, maybe twice a year but cheap insurance in the high country at kings prices. Especially handy for track clearing. Probably wouldn't bother with the extreme, domin8r x is doing me fine have had it hanging off the front for a couple years now (had a warn prior to that).

Still have my hand winch, I pack it if we're taking the trailer somewhere hairy but usually still use the electric winch with creative use of snatch blocks if I need to tug the trailer.
                              MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                              Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X