• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scouter1
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2013
    • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
    So, given that the Top Spin pricing is higher than I previously indicated, are people still interested?
    Yes please, the TopSpin looks a little less agricultural than the clear version that Dicko found in the links above.
    2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
      http://www.westernfilters.net.au/Don...001249inlet-3/

Are these the same as a top spin? 170 vs 320 cfm
      The first link (H001249) is listed on the last page here as the equivalent to the H002437.

The main difference between the Top Spin and the Full View is that the Top Spin ejects the dust & dirt as it goes, where the Full View needs to be manually emptied when it fills. See this page for an overview of Donaldson's different pre-cleaner products. Read this document for more information about the Top Spin.

Of the two linked, both have the correct nominal sizing to work with my adaptor, but I haven't tested them. The HD is heavier, listed at 1.5kg vs the Top Spin at 0.4kg - I don't know how my plastic adaptor will cope with the additional weight. Even the lighter version, at 0.73kg, is significantly heavier that the Top Spin.

As for air flow, the H002437 Top Spin I've used is rated 100 - 200 cfm. I chose this as I wanted one for low-speed off-road work, which will also work at typical highway cruise conditions - not that I normally use it on the highway. I've also had mine on while climbing sand dunes at full throttle / beyond the redline. They will pass air at significantly higher flow rates if required, but it's not the "standard operating condition" they're designed for. From comparisons made while travelling in convoy with similar vehicles, there isn't a significant difference in off-road fuel economy between the ram head and the Top Spin. On the bitumen, at typical highway speeds, the Top Spin uses about 10% more fuel.

If you're interested in the Full View version, I might be able to convince Hitachi to let me test-fit one on my adaptor.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Think the Top spin will win out just on weight alone.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• grhyso
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Perth

I forgot all about talking to you about this sorry NJ, I had a few days away and have been busy at work. At this stage I don't have any major dusty trips planned so won't go ahead at the moment, but maybe next year if we do look to plan a Gibb River Road trip for 2018 then I'll be in touch (if you are still willing to make them at that point).
          2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
            I forgot all about talking to you about this sorry NJ, I had a few days away and have been busy at work. At this stage I don't have any major dusty trips planned so won't go ahead at the moment, but maybe next year if we do look to plan a Gibb River Road trip for 2018 then I'll be in touch (if you are still willing to make them at that point).
            No problem grhyso - if my printer's still working I expect I'll be happy to print them.

On the weekend I had the opportunity to do some highway cruising with twisted32.

We were travelling at 105km/h, using the fuel economy displays to compare relative economy between the vehicles - my NT on 32s, and his NW on 31s.

With the ram head on top of the snorkel my consumption was registering 0.1 l/100km higher; with the pre-cleaner installed, my consumption was 1.0 to 1.1 l/100km higher. The NW was displaying around 11 l/100km, so the increased consumption due to the Top Spin was equivalent to about 10% at 105km/h.

Edit: a year or so later, I crossed the Simpson Desert with twisted32 - twice. I had my Top Spin on, and my NT used about 3 litres more across the desert than his NW - roughly 3% more in off-road conditions.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

I,ll take a top spin and adaptor any time your ready.

Thanks

Cant believe how good these 3d printers are.
              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Alyosius
                • Nov 2016
                • NSW

While I'm not anywhere near needing one of these yet (no snorkel) I am very interested in this, but more from the technical aspects as I also have and semi regularly use a 3d printer.

I assume you have used ABS? It's properties seem very suited for this task. I'm also intrigued as to how you designed it (ie what program and which way have you aligned the layers?) and what thickness you went with for the walls as I imagine there would be a fairly large dynamic force on the adapter, especially during highway driving.
                2010 GLX NT
                Installed: Carjoying Headunit, Hayman Reese electric brake controllers, awning, dual battery, Bushskinz guards
                Awaiting installation: Rear camera, USB power outlets
                Planned:

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Alyosius View Post
                  While I'm not anywhere near needing one of these yet (no snorkel) I am very interested in this, but more from the technical aspects as I also have and semi regularly use a 3d printer.

I assume you have used ABS? It's properties seem very suited for this task. I'm also intrigued as to how you designed it (ie what program and which way have you aligned the layers?) and what thickness you went with for the walls as I imagine there would be a fairly large dynamic force on the adapter, especially during highway driving.
                  Yes, I've used ABS.

The piece was designed using Solidworks, which was more of a challenge than I'd expected. I couldn't get the sweep to follow the guide curves, hence the discontinuity visible at the top of the main section. The piece is nominally 3mm thick, give or take small amounts around where I've added fillets inside & out.

I printed the piece 15 degrees off vertical, so that my printer wouldn't try to print massive support structures. So the layers are 15 degrees off circumferential, and I then exposed the piece to an acetone vapour, which helps to bind the layers together. I haven't attempted any destructive testing of a snorkel adaptor, but the acetone vapour definitely makes a huge difference to the strength of some other small clip pieces I've made. Pieces that easily split between layers straight off the printer haven't split after treatment.

I was worried about whether this would work; I half expected to lose my Top Spin on the first day I used it. But the Top Spin itself is only 0.4kg (as opposed to the heavier Top Spin HD, at 1.2kg) - about the weight of a can of soft drink. It's been hammered over some corrugations (not Canning-like durations) without issue, and travelled several hours on the highway at 100km/h plus.

I wouldn't be offering to sell them if I expect them to fail, and I'll even offer a money-back guarantee. If one fails, I'll happily buy it back to see how it failed.

On the subject of sales, I'm still working on it. I think all the pieces are in place, just want to try a new adaptor with a new Top Spin, to confirm no nasty surprises.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Scouter1
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • Sydney NSW

PM sent

Cheers,
                    Stephen
                    2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Yes, I've used ABS.

The piece was designed using Solidworks, which was more of a challenge than I'd expected. I couldn't get the sweep to follow the guide curves, hence the discontinuity visible at the top of the main section. The piece is nominally 3mm thick, give or take small amounts around where I've added fillets inside & out.

I printed the piece 15 degrees off vertical, so that my printer wouldn't try to print massive support structures. So the layers are 15 degrees off circumferential, and I then exposed the piece to an acetone vapour, which helps to bind the layers together. I haven't attempted any destructive testing of a snorkel adaptor, but the acetone vapour definitely makes a huge difference to the strength of some other small clip pieces I've made. Pieces that easily split between layers straight off the printer haven't split after treatment.

I was worried about whether this would work; I half expected to lose my Top Spin on the first day I used it. But the Top Spin itself is only 0.4kg (as opposed to the heavier Top Spin HD, at 1.2kg) - about the weight of a can of soft drink. It's been hammered over some corrugations (not Canning-like durations) without issue, and travelled several hours on the highway at 100km/h plus.

I wouldn't be offering to sell them if I expect them to fail, and I'll even offer a money-back guarantee. If one fails, I'll happily buy it back to see how it failed.

On the subject of sales, I'm still working on it. I think all the pieces are in place, just want to try a new adaptor with a new Top Spin, to confirm no nasty surprises.

Sounds unreal!! My time with computers is over. Got sick of them whilst being a technician. Still amazed at how these 3d printers work. Looks like a whole new world has opened up. When you get sorted let me know and I,ll happily purchase a complete unit. . There could be an opening for you to do adapters for safari snorkels and top spin as well..
                      Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                        Sounds unreal!! My time with computers is over. Got sick of them whilst being a technician. Still amazed at how these 3d printers work. Looks like a whole new world has opened up. When you get sorted let me know and I,ll happily purchase a complete unit. . There could be an opening for you to do adapters for safari snorkels and top spin as well..
                        Thanks Dicko. The Top Spins went from "in stock" to "on order". Nothing ever goes according to plan...

In other news, two adaptors are ready to ship.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Thanks Dicko. The Top Spins went from "in stock" to "on order". Nothing ever goes according to plan...

In other news, two adaptors are ready to ship.
                          I,ll take one...

pm me with regards money etc and how you want to set up the top spin side of things.
                          cheers
                          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

It took a while for everything to come together, but two sets have been sold, shipped & delivered.

The fact that I haven't received any claims for a refund, I will consider a good sign.

If anybody is interested, I have a few pre-cleaners in stock, which I believe will attach directly to the Safari snorkel, with no adaptor required.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Scouter1
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2013
                              • Sydney NSW

Fitted the very professionally fabricated unit yesterday, very happy with the results. It is a snug fit on the Airtec snorkel, so very air tight & no chance of it flapping around. It make a bit of a whirring sound at higher revs so combined with the slight increase in consumption wouldn't leave it on all the time, but will definitely do the job for heavy dust roads & tracks.

Thank you Scott for going ahead with this project.

Cheers,
                              Stephen
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Dicko1
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2014
                                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Scouter1 View Post
                                Fitted the very professionally fabricated unit yesterday, very happy with the results. It is a snug fit on the Airtec snorkel, so very air tight & no chance of it flapping around. It make a bit of a whirring sound at higher revs so combined with the slight increase in consumption wouldn't leave it on all the time, but will definitely do the job for heavy dust roads & tracks.

Thank you Scott for going ahead with this project.

Cheers,
                                Stephen

I,ll second that. Anything over 80kph and the thing sounds like a fully wound turbine...HOWEVER I purchased mine for several specific dirt road trips. Towing a trailer over dirt roads will not see me get above 80kph and the reduced dust into the cleaner will be a bonus..Scott did an excellent job with the 3d machine..
                                Dicko. FNQ

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X