• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • insect_eater
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Canberra

Thanks Onslow for the review, and everyone's contributions in reply. It really brings home the compromises we have to make in our practical choice of vehicle. I've driven plenty of 70 series, and a few 80 and 100s, but never a 200. Frankly, I've always been attracted to the bigger cruisers for their comfort on corrugations and ease in rough tracks, but their fuel consumption, the 200's poor standard load capacity, and purchase price - which was always the nail in the coffin, no matter how I tried to make it compute.

As a sole-purpose outback tourer I think I'd be happy to sacrifice the snappy handling and around town manoeuvrability for the benefits of the Cruiser's corrugation comfort if purchase price and running costs weren't a limiting factor.

This thread teases me to cobble together my own ideal vehicle, a combination of the traits of many. A goodly number of which are those of the Pajero (reliability, rally handling, economy and manoeuvrability), but some from others spring to mind; early Land Rover Defender (character, simplicity, low range), 70 series cruiser (fuel capacity, torque at low revs, and solidity on corrugations). However, each of them would give me pleasure in their own way, and be frustrating in others.
    NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by insect_eater View Post
      Thanks Onslow for the review, and everyone's contributions in reply. It really brings home the compromises we have to make in our practical choice of vehicle. I've driven plenty of 70 series, and a few 80 and 100s, but never a 200. Frankly, I've always been attracted to the bigger cruisers for their comfort on corrugations and ease in rough tracks, but their fuel consumption, the 200's poor standard load capacity, and purchase price - which was always the nail in the coffin, no matter how I tried to make it compute.

As a sole-purpose outback tourer I think I'd be happy to sacrifice the snappy handling and around town manoeuvrability for the benefits of the Cruiser's corrugation comfort if purchase price and running costs weren't a limiting factor.

This thread teases me to cobble together my own ideal vehicle, a combination of the traits of many. A goodly number of which are those of the Pajero (reliability, rally handling, economy and manoeuvrability), but some from others spring to mind; early Land Rover Defender (character, simplicity, low range), 70 series cruiser (fuel capacity, torque at low revs, and solidity on corrugations). However, each of them would give me pleasure in their own way, and be frustrating in others.
      The fact remains one day someone will build the perfect machine or vehicle.

ONE DAY
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Well my neighbour has some genuine worries about his. Purchased new about 18 months - 2 years ago. Spends it's time mainly with the wife who does 5km runs to work and back. It doesn't do many K's and those K's are short sharp trips, no time for dpf's to do its work.

At 38K, dpf and injectors replaced under warranty - a 10K bill. What concerns him is if it happens again around 75-80K, then he will be out of warranty (due to time factor).

He tows a van very occasionally, hence the reason for the purchase. But I do wonder if he made the right choice of vehicle and now the trouble and strife has got her hands on it, she aint letting go any time soon. First world problems hey!
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
          Well my neighbour has some genuine worries about his. Purchased new about 18 months - 2 years ago. Spends it's time mainly with the wife who does 5km runs to work and back. It doesn't do many K's and those K's are short sharp trips, no time for dpf's to do its work.

At 38K, dpf and injectors replaced under warranty - a 10K bill. What concerns him is if it happens again around 75-80K, then he will be out of warranty (due to time factor).

He tows a van very occasionally, hence the reason for the purchase. But I do wonder if he made the right choice of vehicle and now the trouble and strife has got her hands on it, she aint letting go any time soon. First world problems hey!
          Fist world problems is rite aye

His wife may require a nice little get about, he & she will just have to understand now before the big bill or after the big bill.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• m_and_m
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010
            • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

My 200 allows you to manually do a DPF burn when you need to. I've never needed to due to my driving habits. But 5k regular trips are a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately it's part of the technology that you need to be a little educated about it to look after your beast.
            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
            2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Lazarus
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2008
              • Melbourne, Western suburbs

m and m the button you have does not let you start regen at your wish.
              Button will only let you start regen if the dpf light is on, all other times its just a dead switch ...

There is a way to start dpf regen (same as dealer initiated forced regen) at any time using torquepro app on the phone.
              NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank, GME XRS 370c.

Comment

• m_and_m
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
                m and m the button you have does not let you start regen at your wish.
                Button will only let you start regen if the dpf light is on, all other times its just a dead switch ...

There is a way to start dpf regen (same as dealer initiated forced regen) at any time using torquepro app on the phone.
                Thanks for the tip. Having never needed to do it I didn't realise.
                2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Lazarus
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Melbourne, Western suburbs

NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank, GME XRS 370c.

Comment

• Onslow
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Perth, Western Australia

That's the problem with short runs, these new vehicles with DPFs need longer runs for the regen, which Im lucky enough to do. A freeway run every fortnight is probably enough to keep it working properly. Mine came with a five Year unlimited km warranty, updated injectors and a DPF switch, so Toyota have really supported the later models.
                    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

I see there's now a recall of the 2016-2018 70 Series due to the DPF and a potential for fire so they are retro fitting heat shields.

2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• m_and_m
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                        I see there's now a recall of the 2016-2018 70 Series due to the DPF and a potential for fire so they are retro fitting heat shields.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/toy...e-to-fire-risk
                        Yeah, saw it too. Let’s face it, Toyota were forced into meeting EURO emission controls and a DPF was their choice. With all the 2.8L DiD issues and a lesser extent the 200’s I’m sure their executives are shaking their heads given the HUGE engineering issues they’ve faced causing pain to their finances, their customers, and their reputation. They certainly haven’t handled it well either.

I bought my ‘16 NX new because the I knew ‘17 had a DPF, yet I find myself now with a DPF in my 200.
                        I must say though there is something nice about an exhaust which is literally soot free.

In the end, the choice nowadays is a diesel with a DPF/adblue, or a Petrol. Personally I’d still go a diesel for OZ conditions, even with the potential time bombs.

Comment

• alanymarce
                          • Apr 2015
                          • Colombia

We looked at buying a LC when we bought our current 4x4. Ended up with a Montero (=Pajero=Shogun). The Montero has slightly better clearance, better approach angle, and about the same departure angle. The LC could argue slightly better agility. We had good experience with our previous LC (series 80) however the LC and the Montero were close in terms of ability, and (more to the point), for the same level of specification, the Montero was HALF the price... at least in our market.

Comment

• Yeorgos
                            • Feb 2020
                            • Adelaide

Hi all , possibly a bit off topic maybe ?

Just how robust is the Pajero drive train in comparison to an IFS Landcruiser ?

When i had my UZJ100 Cruiser it went everywhere on private and club trips and during the skill update training and assesments with 4wdsa on different properties and tracks within Sth Aust without a problem , however i was present when a 200 series snapped a front CV and a HDJ100 sheered a front Crown Wheel , and that made me a bit cautious about wanting to push my Cruiser on certain obstacles that little bit extra as i was able to do with confidence in my previous GQ Patrol

I have yet to see a Pajero of any model that was unable to complete an offroad obstacle that we have come across on club or private trips or during training , or a Pajero that had drive train damage caused by offroad driving

I haven't had the chance of taking my NX on a challenging track as yet , i bought it in early March 2020 got a 50mm lift fitted to go on a club trip to Bendley Ranges and drive up Billy Goat Ridge as its maiden track but Covid 19 restrictions put a hold on that

cheers
                            Last edited by Yeorgos; 16-05-20, 10:20 AM.
                            George
                            2016 NX GLS Pajero
                            2010 JT Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Yeorgos View Post
                              Hi all , possibly a bit off topic maybe ?

Just how robust is the Pajero drive train in comparison to an IFS Landcruiser ?

When i had my UZJ100 Cruiser it went everywhere on private and club trips and during the skill update training and assesments with 4wdsa on different properties and tracks within Sth Aust without a problem , however i was present when a 200 series snapped a front CV and a HDJ100 sheered a front Crown Wheel , and that made me a bit cautious about wanting to push my Cruiser on certain obstacles that little bit extra as i was able to do with confidence in my previous GQ Patrol

I have yet to see a Pajero of any model that was unable to complete an offroad obstacle that we have come across on club or private trips trips or during training , or a Pajero that had drive train damage caused by offroad driving

I haven't had the chance of taking my NX on a challenging track as yet , i bought it in March 2020 got a 50mm lift fitted to go on a club trip to Bendley Ranges and drive up Billy Goat Ridge as its maiden track but Covid 19 restrictions put a hold on that

cheers
                              Hi George,

The Gen 4 Pajero driveline has a reputation of being very strong but it is not bullet proof, all things will fail under certain circumstances. The carbon tailshafts will destroy themselves quickly if you damage them on a rock, but the tailshaft is tucked up high and out of the way. A few transfer cases have failed but these have had reasonably hard lives from what I have read. Split a drive boot and get sand, water or mud in the joint and they quickly deteriate, as do all CV, DOJ or BJ's.

I have been going to Bendleby Ranges for over 10 years and have driven Billy Goat over a dozen times, it is a toughish track. With the correct driver technique and external spotter, a Gen 4, with a mild suspension lift and AT tyre's at low pressures can do this track without problems. The Pajero traction control is great on this track, engage the rear diff lock and they make it look easy. I have seen Patrols, Cruisers and Jeeps with 35" and 37" tyre's struggle and give up on this track only to have a group of Gen 4 Pajero's and a PB Challenger (no rear diff lock and crap traction control) on 31" & 32" tyre's, simply just drive around them and up and over the ridge.
                              My previous 4wd, a manual LWB 89 Jackaroo with factory rear LSD and 215/80R16 AT's at low pressures could traverse this track, in low 1st without needing to go too fast, spin the tyre's or damage anything.

OJ.
                              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Alex86
                                Valued Member
                                • Jul 2007
                                • Here and there

Yeorgos, I'd be interested in finding out under what circumstances the damage happened.

For example the busted CV. A CV can be "easy" to break if you lift the wheel off the ground, have it spinning, then drop back onto the ground. The combined shock load of the spinning wheel and weight can break them.
                                The first time you lift a wheel and put it down whilst spinning is unlikely to break anything (unless it is an extreme event), but do it with enough force enough times and it'll break.

We all like to throw a bit of mud at other types of vehicles. Some crowds more than others! All vehicles have their stronger/weaker points. But drive smart and sensible, you'll likely not break anything.

Like OJ, I too have seen big rigs struggle on obstacles yet I've gone up in my Paj which was far less equipped. Why? Good spotter, know where my wheels and the low-and-likely-to-catch-on-rocks points are, and most of all having a good think about the best line and taking it easy- its not all about momentum and lift and lockers!

Back to the LC200.... never driven one, but would like a go one day!
                                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                                Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X