• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RRising
    • Sep 2018
    • Adelaide

03 NP Paj brakes need advice

Hi, its now time for new brakes, might as well do pads and rotors at the same time. I don't have a lot of money, bendix 4wd's and slotted rotors would be nice but to be honest, the most driving i do (especially at the moment) is going to the shops.

Looking at these on Ebay $184 for a complete set, they don't look too bad.

Phoning up for some prices, is there a difference between front and rear rotors that make the rears $20-30 more expensive each?

I am hoping i can get parts and fitting done for about $400.
  • Kingmarz
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2016
    • South Island New Zealand

Personally I think the prices you mentioned are very reasonable but check the thickness of rotors to see if they’re within spec first before possibly wasting money there will be a minimum thickness millimetre number on rotor.
    Have a go at changing them yourself it’s super easy and generally jacking up and removing wheels are the hardest part.
    02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Originally posted by RRising View Post
      … is there a difference between front and rear rotors that make the rears $20-30 more expensive each?
      The rear rotors incorporate the drum brake (ie. hand brake) as well as the disk, so I suppose the extra bit of metal makes them more expensive.

Cheers
      Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
        The rear rotors incorporate the drum brake (ie. hand brake) as well as the disk, so I suppose the extra bit of metal makes them more expensive.

Cheers
        Geoff
        And the extra step or 2 of machining in manufacturing for the handbrake drum area.
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Andyjanks
          • Mar 2019
          • Perth, WA

Hello RRising,

They look like Chinese rotors and pads - read the translation from Chinese to Australian - "fits without devious process" "they export to Japan" etc. and in the end you get what you pay for.

I have got nothing against Chinese products in general but I can tell you I recently purchased discs for my Subaru Outback and from brand new they were warped, enough to give wheel shake when braking. Ha Ha! Drove me nuts (and many $) chasing down the source of the vibration - can't be the discs because they are brand new but they were the problem.

When you get them, might be worth having them checked for uniformity.

Just my thoughts....
          NP 2004 Exceed, DiD, 234 000k, auto, 2" lift, snorkel

Comment

• RRising
            • Sep 2018
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Andyjanks View Post
            Hello RRising,

They look like Chinese rotors and pads - read the translation from Chinese to Australian - "fits without devious process" "they export to Japan" etc. and in the end you get what you pay for.

I have got nothing against Chinese products in general but I can tell you I recently purchased discs for my Subaru Outback and from brand new they were warped, enough to give wheel shake when braking. Ha Ha! Drove me nuts (and many $) chasing down the source of the vibration - can't be the discs because they are brand new but they were the problem.

When you get them, might be worth having them checked for uniformity.

Just my thoughts....
            Thanks, this is what i was thinking.

My local auto store has front rotors for $51 and rears for $69 and i found a Bendix 4WD F/R set for $155 on Ebay so hopefully i can get them fitted for reasonably cheap.

Comment

• Lance
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2009
              • Melbourne

Bendix 4WD F/R set for $155

Sounds like a good deal to me, providing they are what they say.
              Lots of good feedback ratings for the seller ??
              2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
              2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• RRising
                • Sep 2018
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Bendix 4WD F/R set for $155

Sounds like a good deal to me, providing they are what they say.
                Lots of good feedback ratings for the seller ??
                They have a 99.3% positive feedback so they are about on par with a big ebay store.

Comment

• El_Freddo
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Bridgewater, Vic

I’d be cautious buying “quality” parts on eBay - many fraudulent parts out there! I recently heard of NGk spark plug rip offs. They looked like the real deal but certainly added more problems than they solved. They just want your money and the exchange of goods is their legal way of doing it.

I’d buy from a store that is known to carry quality parts.

I doubt you’d need new rotors. Unless they’re badly scuffed up from metal on metal (not brake pad material left) and a machine job won’t sort it out, run with them.

My 20c but at the end of the day you have to be confident in what you choose to do with your brakes. One could argue that on road driving requires more from the slotted discs depending on your driving style. Off-road you shouldn’t be going so hard that you need these discs. I’ve had maybe three occasions where I’ve had brake fade on a decent in the high country because I didn’t take it easy enough down the hill. I doubt slotted discs would’ve helped (this was in my lifted subaru L series).

Cheers

Bennie
                  2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• RRising
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by El_Freddo View Post
                    I’d be cautious buying “quality” parts on eBay - many fraudulent parts out there! I recently heard of NGk spark plug rip offs. They looked like the real deal but certainly added more problems than they solved. They just want your money and the exchange of goods is their legal way of doing it.

I’d buy from a store that is known to carry quality parts.

I doubt you’d need new rotors. Unless they’re badly scuffed up from metal on metal (not brake pad material left) and a machine job won’t sort it out, run with them.

My 20c but at the end of the day you have to be confident in what you choose to do with your brakes. One could argue that on road driving requires more from the slotted discs depending on your driving style. Off-road you shouldn’t be going so hard that you need these discs. I’ve had maybe three occasions where I’ve had brake fade on a decent in the high country because I didn’t take it easy enough down the hill. I doubt slotted discs would’ve helped (this was in my lifted subaru L series).

Cheers

Bennie
                    Thanks Bennie, i just read the inspection report from my last service and the FL is 8mm FR, and both rear sides had 7mm, but that was done in august last year, what is the minimum width before they need replacing?

Comment

• RRising
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Adelaide

Anyone know the average price for a straight rotor/ pad swap? i phoned up a few mechanics and they range from $280 all the up to $350 which seems really high considering for a good mechanic it would be about an hour job.

I also asked how much getting the rotors machined and they ran up to about $100 a rotor, may as well get new ones at that price.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X