Below Nav Bar

Collapse

how do i test if fuel is reaching the injectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fieldmouse
    • Mar 2009
    • Newee Creek

how do i test if fuel is reaching the injectors?

I've had a cow of a time recently, the thing took forever to start, ran like a chaff cutter, kept cutting out, blowing smoke etc. Checked the glow plugs, they are all well within resistance tolerance, but now it won't start at all. I inject starting fluid into the air intake, it will start and run but only for a few seconds, then once the autostart is used it stops. I pump the pedal while its running but there's no change to the engine, like no fuel is getting in all. I pulled the fuel filter off in hope of seeing water, minimal bubbles on the bottom of the test jar, so fuel is good, but I don't think its pumping through. How can i test if fuel is actually moving through the system? should something visible move under the bonnet when the accelerator is pushed?
    cheers
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Petrol or diesel? Can you crack an injector while its running?
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• fieldmouse
      • Mar 2009
      • Newee Creek

sorry, its a 3.2 diesel, and I can't get it to run

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Have you bleed the injectors?

If unsure of getting fuel at injectors loosen nuts on injector lines at injectors completely so lines are just touching the injectors.

Crank engine until you have fuel pulsing from injector lines.

Do up injector line nuts to within 1/4 to 1/2 turn of fully engaged.

Crank engine again. Whilst cranking, and whilst fuel pulsing (leaking) from line/nut assemblies finish tightening each injector nut.

Hopefully this is all the issue you have.
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• fieldmouse
          • Mar 2009
          • Newee Creek

How hard is it supposed to be to crack the injectors? I don't want to place too much pressure on them, but they won't budge with a little bit of force, can I apply more without breaking/twisting/damaging something?

Comment

• pharb
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Tyers,Vic

On the injector line nuts - yes.

Should able to undo with normal open end spanner. 17mm from memory

I have never had to use anything better except on smaller hydraulic or brake/lines where a proper flare nut type spanner is preferable. Say around the 10mm size.

Common rail injector lines would most likely need to be tighter, but still should be able to use open end spanner. I always have.

Might need to hook a ring spanner in other end of open ender to get more leverage. I'm not as fit as I used to be so have to do this more often, or maybe because I've also got smarter!!
            PCOV Member 1107.
            Daily driver NX GLX
            Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
            Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
            Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X