• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimsutt
    • Jun 2012
    • Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
    I'd think very carefully before you did that. I'm not a tech expert but seeing the amount of testing MM did in conjunction with OJ to produce his kit, it's not something which you can just build and plug in.
    I would think very carefully also.
    In my opinion, I would not fiddle with the lock up as you may cause expensive repairs. I nearly burnt out my lock up clutch in my Patrol.
    These clutches are small and not made to be used to transmit much power and only switch in when under light loads while cruising.
    I will probably be told I don't know what I am talking about as I quite often do but after 50 years of 4wdriving I have gained a huge amount of experience.
    Cheers
    Jim

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• pharb
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by chrisfarru View Post
      Is the NS box same as the NM?

If yes, a mate gave me an instruction sheet with resistors and all to fit a TC lock up kit. I did it on my NM and it worked flawlessly.
      Not derived from here? -

finished my Torque Converter lock up override switch today. Was a bit nerve wrecking as detailed info is not to be found online on the specifics of the mod. I spent hours pouring through wiring diagrams and manuals to learn, study and construct my own loom to get it right. Got it right with the first test. Must say it's now weird to feel the engine's straight power and the rather funny gear ratio gaps between the gears. Works like a charm. DIY to follow if anyone's interested.
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by jimsutt View Post
        These clutches are small and not made to be used to transmit much power and only switch in when under light loads while cruising.
        I was concerned about precisely this when I was building mine - I wanted to find the load / throttle levels that would cause it to unlock.

Factory programming only unlocks under load at low revs. Above about 2000 rpm it stays locked. Up Adelaide's South East Freeway, at 90 km/h plus, full throttle up the hill wouldn't unlock the torque converter. The factory programming isn't concerned about the diesel's peak torque in the Aisin.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• jimsutt
          • Jun 2012
          • Sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          I was concerned about precisely this when I was building mine - I wanted to find the load / throttle levels that would cause it to unlock.

Factory programming only unlocks under load at low revs. Above about 2000 rpm it stays locked. Up Adelaide's South East Freeway, at 90 km/h plus, full throttle up the hill wouldn't unlock the torque converter. The factory programming isn't concerned about the diesel's peak torque in the Aisin.
          If you load up with say towing you will find it will unlock when you hot a hill or put your foot down.
          It normally engages around 80 in 5th gear and will stay locked until it detects an increase in load.

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

If you load up with say towing you will find it will unlock when you hot a hill or put your foot down.
            It normally engages around 80 in 5th gear and will stay locked until it detects an increase in load.
            At 80km/h in 5th the engine is around 1500 rpm, the torque converter is unlocking to reduce vibration. At lower engine speeds vibration will increase with load - the lower the revs, the lower the load at which vibration becomes noticeable. Above about 2000 rpm this vibration is no longer noticeable at any load.

In 4th gear, above about 2000 rpm, the Aisin transmission in the Pajero does not unlock the torque converter under load.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              At 80km/h in 5th the engine is around 1500 rpm, the torque converter is unlocking to reduce vibration. At lower engine speeds vibration will increase with load - the lower the revs, the lower the load at which vibration becomes noticeable. Above about 2000 rpm this vibration is no longer noticeable at any load.

In 4th gear, above about 2000 rpm, the Aisin transmission in the Pajero does not unlock the torque converter under load.
              This has been my findings too (including when towing).
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• chrisfarru
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Central Coast NSW

Sorry for the late reply. This is what I was forwarded
                Attached Files
                NS 3.2 - Roo Bar, Warn Winch, UHF, Bilstein/Lovells, Engine/tranny watchdog, HikeIT, LED headlights, EGR delete, DPF delete, Catch Can

Comment

• Kingmarz
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2016
                  • South Island New Zealand

Thank you very much.

I’ve seen a few diagrams but yours is easiest one to read.
                  I’m going to attempt this one day when I’ve done enough research and gained enough courage.
                  02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• dclinton
                    • Jan 2015
                    • Central Coast NSW

Thanks mate! The trouble with this type of setup is it causes the solenoid to prematurely fail. The factory ECU only runs the solenoid at about 50% duty cycle to keep the converter locked, that equates to about 5-6v. The coil in the solenoid burns out if it’s fed 13-14v constantly.

I’ve got my setup functioning properly after a few days of troubleshooting once I installed it in the car. Turned out that I needed a diode to stop feedback from the solenoid interfering with the operation of the mosfet. That bloody 35c part had me scratching my head and going mad trying to figure out why it was working on the bench, but not in the car!

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

You may find information in the following post useful.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dclinton
                        • Jan 2015
                        • Central Coast NSW

For anyone that’s interested the Jatco box runs a 2.9khz PWM frequency and when the ECU locks the converter, it starts at roughly 65-70% duty cycle before dropping to 50-52% within a couple of seconds. Obviously it engages it fairly firmly to make sure it doesn’t slip and then backs off once it’s properly locked.

The setup that I’ve built cost about $100 all up to throw together and at this stage is just a basic lock/unlock setup. I’ll keep playing with it now it’s functioning in the car and aim to have it unlock automatically when coming to a stop and then lock again once it reaches a certain speed. Could also use throttle position etc to influence its behaviour. Just a matter of getting the time to tinker with it.

I’m also starting to work on an arduino based boost controller for the VNT turbo setup. ��

Comment

• dclinton
                          • Jan 2015
                          • Central Coast NSW

This is what it turned out looking like all put together. I did away with the potentiometer and stuck with a fixed duty cycle.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• jimsutt
                            • Jun 2012
                            • Sydney

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                            This has been my findings too (including when towing).
                            I have never noticed any vibration. I understood that the lock up was to reduce fuel consumption while cruising under light loads.

Comment

• jimsutt
                              • Jun 2012
                              • Sydney

I have never noticed any vibration. I understood that the lock up was to reduce fuel consumption while cruising under light loads.

Exactly...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X