• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

NSW High Country

Just back from 2 weeks in the NSW High Country. Great scenery, weather held up, and no crowds. What's not to like? We'd bushwalked around the Main Range some years back so this was a Paj/Campertrailer trip doing a big loop skirting around the Main Range and Lake Eucumbene and the Blowering Dam starting and finishing at Adelong. From Adelong went to the pretty town of Tumbarumba then camped a few nights at Geehi Flat, doing a little loop crossing Swampy Plains River to see Keeble's, Old Geehi and Major Clew's Huts.

We went on to Tom Groggin, which was pretty much deserted. We learned later at the bakery at Jindabyne that the previous weekend (Canberra Day long weekend) the campground was chockas, which given the huge size of the camp is hard to believe, but we were pretty pleased we'd missed all that.

The Murray River crossing was shallow (mid-calf at most) but the exit onto the Victorian side was a real challenge. Smooth wet boulders, steep incline and pretty large erosions had some people getting a snatch assist. A chap from TG station said it was the worst he'd seen it in some time. I confess I only made it on the third attempt (18 psi and rear locker engaged) and only then by giving the trusty Paj a bit more momentum than I normally would, given my respect for my front CV joints. On the other hand I saw a V8 79 series with impressive suspension go up easily first time.

After a quick look at Dogman's hut, we went onto the Davies Plains Track which provided more than enough bush pinstriping and some (for me anyway) truly scary moments over really wide deep ruts where even taking the best line had me wondering if the Paj would go onto its side. My wife was very impressed with my driving skills, but eventually I will have to explain the brown undies I suppose. But the reward was a picnic at the truly impressive setting of Davies Plains Hut on a glorious early autumn afternoon.

Returned to Tom Groggin very slowly.

After TG, called into Jindabyne to resupply, then spent a night at Three Mile Dam. Then a really scenic drive north on the Lob's Hole/Ravine Road dropping down a long way to cross the Yarrangabilly River at the ruins of the Washington Hotel. We shared the trail with dozens of trail bike riders, many of whom came to grief trying to cross the river too quickly. No problems for the Paj and Ulti.

Spent the next few days at Coolamine Mountain camping ground along the Long Plains Road east of the Snowy Mountains Highway.

Inspected the partially restored old Coolamine Homestead - very impressive work by the NPWS and volunteers.

The water was pretty low at the Blue Waterholes.

Found this little flame robin at Long Plain Hut

We then spent a few days with friends in a cottage at Yarrangabilly Caves, then headed home via Tumut, Adelong and the Hay Plain back to Adelaide. Is this a great country to tour or what?
    Last edited by Pwoffey; 01-04-18, 05:17 PM. Reason: misspelling of hut name
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • aaron.miller
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Epping, NSW

We camped at the same table as u at Coolamine mountain, was the snake still hanging out every morning at the table on the other side of the toilet?
    2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

Didn't spot a single snake at any of our campsites. No shortage of 'roos, wallabies and brumbies.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• kerway
        • Aug 2010
        • North West Sydney

Great pics and write up. Thanks
        Must try and go back down there again. Haven't been there since I was a kid.
        NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Really good writeup. Great photos too. This is effectively my back yard - you can easily see why I don't ever want to go back to a city to live. You covered a lot of territory in a short time. I haven't been to some of those places for a long time - maybe it is time to go again? Thanks for the prompt.

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Sometimes when I see stuff like this, I miss the East Coast. Then I remember what its like living in Sydney and it all comes crashing down. Thanks for sharing this, it brings back fond memories.

Cheers!
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• envee
              • Dec 2013
              • Brisbane Qld

Great repport and pics. We're looking forward to exploring this part of the world.

Cheers envee

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X