• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1_johnboy
    • Sep 2012
    • Gippsland

Secondary Fuel Filter

this is about my MQ triton but assume its the same as the PS.

Im wanting to add a secondary fuel filter. Im wanting to know how and were other owners have placed it. I have a Donaldson kit that filers to 3 microns.
    So I needed to know what the factory one was to know would the secondary kit need to go before or after the factory.

I called my local MM dealer up to ask the question. They didn't know and put me on hold to find out. When taken off hold I was told they dont know and I will void my warranty by fitting one.

Now I find this hard to believe. Does anyone here know the answer and have any opinions on what I was told?
  • greig
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010
    • kanwal

From the limited info I have seen on the subject, some manufacturers stress for warranty purposes, to fit it before.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Mitsubishi would have to prove the extra filter caused the fault. Bit hard to knock back a gearbox problem on a fuel filter.

Comment

• 1_johnboy
        • Sep 2012
        • Gippsland

I would imaging if I have an issue with an injector or injector pump they will go looking for fuel starvation as the cause.

Comment

• BorgPS17
          • Mar 2017
          • melbourne

why don't you check out this video.

We make both primary & secondary filter kit options for most popular diesel powered vehicles utilizing common rail fuel systems. Both versions of auxiliary f...
          Pajero Sport QE 20016
          Smart Bar
          Boos Bash Plates
          7 inch LED Driving Lights
          Domin8R X 12,000 Winch with Rope

Comment

• shawty950
            • Jun 2011
            • Brisbane

2nd filter

Hey Johnboy,

I have an MQ exceed...with same donaldson 3 micron filter kit.
            Standard OEM filter is approx 10-20 micron.

Donaldson and other aftermarket filter providers, all say before the OEM filter...I think mainly for warranty...as mentioned above if you get thread tape or thread cement into the system will damage pump or injectors.

Personally I think that is just CYA...every engineer will state, "Coarse, Finer, Finest" is how filtration should work.

Personally, I put all my lower micron filters after the OEM...on the triton, I had the next door neighbour design and tig weld up a bracket behind the Battery picking up the 2 bolts on the wheel arch.

Just be clean and dont go nuts on thread sealant and make sure none of it gets past the thread into the filter housing and you will be good to go.
            SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork, MCA Gold shocks and Parabolic rear leafs, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

• 1_johnboy
              • Sep 2012
              • Gippsland

thanks mate, same train of thought I was on. Would you be able to provide a picture of your install?

Comment

• Hill
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Adelaide

John

It's all about risk management.

Donaldson are reducing their risk by keeping factory filter as secondary filter.

I suspect MM don't care what pumps and injectors are like after warranty runs out.

If keeping car outside warranty it makes sense to follow Parker Racor recommendation of filtering diesel to 3 micron @ at least 95% efficiency.

Ryco provide warranty on their products.

I dont have specifications for R2724P Ryco Fuel filter however if it is made of similar filter material to Z699 ( 4 micron @94% efficiency) it should be close to Parker Racor's recommendation.

Ryco will provide specifications of their filters. Just email.

So if anyone is nervous re factory warranty a Ryco filter with their warranty may be an option to consider for single fuel filter set up.

Hill
                200 Series
                AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• shawty950
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Brisbane

Couple of photos of the setup

SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork, MCA Gold shocks and Parabolic rear leafs, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X