• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • birdd
    • Mar 2014
    • Bundaberg, QLD

Catch Can - Worthwhile on NT?

I was talking to my cousin on the weekend and he has installed a catch can on his Hilux to help prevent a bit of carboning up in the air-intake (I think that's what he said it was for?) so I was wondering if they are worthwhile installing on a NT Pajero, or are they just a bit of a waste of money?
    2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX
    MM Alloy Bullbar, MM Sidesteps, MM Tow Bar, Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards, Pioneer Platform, Supa-Peg Supa Wing Deluxe 270 Awning, 2x2.5m Kalahari Awning, 23" 144W CREE LED Light bar, Uniden UH8080NB, eBay Reversing Camera, Sony XAV-AX100 6.2" CarPlay/Android Auto Headunit, MM/Milford Cargo Barrier, Torqit Pedal Torq, Dual Battery (CTEK D250S Dual, PowerSonic 120AH AGM)
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

Better off blocking your egr than installing a catch can IMO.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

I agree about blocking off the EGR (either by a plate or stopping it opening via the SPV mod), but the intake manifold still will get oil vapours into it. Is that likely to be a problem? I only have the SPV mod, and wonder about the EGR blanking plate as well.

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

Oil vapours alone will not cause any issues with your manifold. They will simply pass into the combustion chamber and be burnt.
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Agree Goodsy - the vapours should be burnt in the engine. However, in order to get to the intake manifold, the vapours have to pass through the turbo and maybe the airflow meter, and that is my concern.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
            Agree Goodsy - the vapours should be burnt in the engine. However, in order to get to the intake manifold, the vapours have to pass through the turbo and maybe the airflow meter, and that is my concern.
            I did read somewhere that oil droplets hitting a high speed turbo vane isn't an ideal situation either. I don't have enough mechanical know how to get into it in depth (actually, not interested).
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X