Below Nav Bar

Collapse

On Board GPS units - Laptop or Chinese GPS units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bakerboy
    "valued 3000+ member"
    • May 2008
    • Perth

On Board GPS units - Laptop or Chinese GPS units?

Ok so I'm looking at adding some form of GPS system at the moment, run OziExplorer and some nearmap sat images

Two trains of thought at the moment
    Run an old laptop purely for GPS, store the laptop out of the way and run a moniter to the dash.
    Pros being a larger memory, better processor etc
    Cons being where to store it, sourcing a suitable monitor, possible damage to HD due to vibrations

Or run one of these bad boys, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayIS...m=230713230243, standalone, comes with street navigation, compact and stores maps etc on an sd card, and you get a wireless camera thrown in too, which I'll mount under the car to check for clearance.

I'm leaning towards the chinese gps unit, but is there anything that would/should sway me to using the laptop?
    If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch
  • my.paj
    • Dec 2010
    • Tullamarine

I was thinking the same but I was looking at one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270807540...ht_5027wt_1344
    but the one in your link looks better, what would be the difference of the 2.
    Rick
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• bakerboy
      "valued 3000+ member"
      • May 2008
      • Perth

if your unit can run ozi, then I'd say yours is probably better, bigger screen etc

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• bakerboy
        "valued 3000+ member"
        • May 2008
        • Perth

Looking into it I think the tablet would be the way to go at this stage, although I'd like to hear more feedback about the android side of things

Comment

• mrbitchi
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Brisbane

I have 2 setups. A laptop for when I need to run full Ozi and a Chinese GPS from China for running IGO Primo street nav and OziCe.
          I have the 5" model but some of my mates have the 6" and 7" versions and they work well.

Be warned, any of the "Chinese" GPSs require a little bit of PC know-how to configure and maintain. You have no official support for any of the software/maps on them.
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• aquanaught
            • Feb 2009
            • Mt Eliza, Victoria

Hi Bakerboy

I have a unit that looks exactly like the one you linked, with the same basic spec. I don't have the bluetooth and rear camera option, however, and the installed software looks to be different too.

I run the supplied IGO software and have set it up to run OziExplorerCE. It works pretty well and for the price ($85) am more than happy with it. One drawback is that on really bright days the screen can be difficult to see due to reflection. It would benefit from a brighter screen but do not have anything to compare it to so don't know if it is good, bad or indifferent in this respect.

If you want to run 3rd party software such as OziExplorer make sure that the installed software interface allows you to change the executable that is run when the 'navigation' button is pressed, or that the winCE operating system can be accessed so that you can run the 3rd party software directly. Apologies if you know all this about the software setup already.
            Last edited by aquanaught; 26-01-12, 10:01 PM.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            MY06 NP GLX DID Auto, ARB winch bar, Bushskinz front + self designed transmission protection, Tigerz 12,000lbs Winch w/ rope, Snorkel, 2" lift with Lovells springs & Bilstien shocks, 265/70R16 D697 AT's, Self made auto lock-up kit, Leaking Aux bat w/ Redarc isolator, 10" Tab Navigator, UHF, Roo Lite spotties, Cargo barrier, Rhino HD Roof bars & roof basket on track mount, Waeco, self made camping box, TVan and lots of fun...

Comment

• mrbitchi
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by aquanaught View Post

If you want to run 3rd party software such as OziExplorer make sure that the installed software interface allows you to change the executable that is run when the 'navigation' button is pressed,or that the winCE operating system can be accessed so that you can run the 3rd party software directly. Apologies if youknow all this already.
              Or find a utility called "GPS Menu"
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                • May 2009
                • Perth

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
                Looking into it I think the tablet would be the way to go at this stage, although I'd like to hear more feedback about the android side of things
                If your mounting it in your header go the pc If in the paj, consider the tablet.

Note, ozi android is only a beta version at present. Used it on my pnone a couple of times. I like it better than Ce.

Having said that, if tablets were around when I got my netbook, I might have gone this way. SSD's were only up to 32Gb when I got my hard drive netbook, too small for me. I must have 1/2 that in maps. I've suffered no HDD issues to date on some pretty rough stuff. The netbook just gets put under the pass. seat.

As for your original question, First up I would look at your mounting. If space and convenience in mounting a tablet, netbook and/or external monitor is going to be an issue, the 7" standalone unit might suffice. But I think the biggest monitor of whatever flavour is the best. The standalone is probably running Ce, if so it can be hacked to run ozi Ce anyways.

I have an 8" touchscreen attached to my netbook. I have 20/20 vision and I wouldn't like to go smaller. I put it to good use around the sw last weekend. Its nice to be able to drive whilst navigating. Something only a bigger screen can do!
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• HSV Rangie
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • Hastings

I use OZI Explorer as well.
                  OziExplorer GPS Mapping Software running on your laptop with a USB Mouse GPS Receiver connected showing your current position on a Hema Map from the latest Australian 4WD Raster Map Collection Maps - all you need to get real time tracking operational in your 4WD. (That's OziExplorer + Hema 4WD Map Collection + additional Australia Map + GPS Mouse Receiver (USB) BU-353).

My current set up is the laptop but its a PIA to use in the car.

Have purchased a 10 inch touch screen to mount and will keep the lap top in rear pocket of front seats.

Touch screen.

Michael.
                  2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• iGBH
                    • Dec 2010
                    • Melbourne

I've got a 10' Asus Transformer tablet mounted to the dash of the Pajero using Pro-Clip system running Ozi CE. Fantastic setup.
                    10' screen real estate is awesome although where i have it mounted it blocks access to radio and ac controls. No big deal as its on flexible arm which can be moved easily.
                    SOLD - MY2011 NT DiD Pajero GLX. ARB winch bar, Lightforce XGT HID's, Warn 9000lb winch, Factory rear difflock, ARB roofrack with Supa-Peg awning, Bushskinz, Safari snorkel, Lovells springs, Bilstein shocks, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265/70/17.
                    Time for a D4.

Comment

• Silver Streak
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2010
                      • Adelaide. South Aust.

Originally posted by iGBH View Post
                      I've got a 10' Asus Transformer tablet mounted to the dash of the Pajero using Pro-Clip system running Ozi CE. Fantastic setup.
                      10' screen real estate is awesome although where i have it mounted it blocks access to radio and ac controls. No big deal as its on flexible arm which can be moved easily.
                      Any photos of the mounting system.
                      Any of the above has got to better than the usless GPS on the MMCS, a lot of us have.
                      Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
                      Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• iGBH
                        • Dec 2010
                        • Melbourne

Nothing to hand. Might be able to organise something in the next couple of days...
                        SOLD - MY2011 NT DiD Pajero GLX. ARB winch bar, Lightforce XGT HID's, Warn 9000lb winch, Factory rear difflock, ARB roofrack with Supa-Peg awning, Bushskinz, Safari snorkel, Lovells springs, Bilstein shocks, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265/70/17.
                        Time for a D4.

Comment

• mrbitchi
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Brisbane

This is my home made job. Bolts under the front set mount bolts.
                          The top is a RAM unit.
                          That particular laptop has gone to the gods. Corrugations killed the screen..
                          Attached Files
                          Cheers, John.
                          LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

• iGBH
                            • Dec 2010
                            • Melbourne

Apologies for the poor photographs....

Time for a D4.

Comment

• Downunder35m
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2011
                              • Near Melbourne

There are a few things to consider when using a laptop in the car, especially off road.
                              I think a HP mobile workstation would be ideal for that the 8440 goes for under 400$ on Ebay.
                              They offer proper protection against vibrations for the HDD and screen, as well as a 1920x1200 pixel screen (15") which is not very common even on top end modern laptops.
                              A normal laptop is simply not suited for the harsh handling in a car.
                              A way around that might be to fit a protected HDD or solid state drive and to include a holder for the scren in the mount. These mounts are hard to find and can cost you than the laptop.
                              From experience I can say that a good 6" or 7" GPS with 128mb Ram and a fast processor is mor than enough for OZI - it even runs on my old Navman ICN 520 which in fact is a dinosaur in GPS terms.
                              My main problem with a laptop in the car is that for proper use you have to add too many extras.
                              Try to use a mouse/touchpad or keyboard while driving...
                              The scren is the next problem, an intergated screen is usually too big and located in a postion that makes it hard to keep an eye on the screen and on the road.
                              '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
                              Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X