Views:	1
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	999136

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow hook - rear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	999137

Hi, can these on a 2019 NX front and rear be used to attach a snatch strap for recovery? Thanks.....
    2019 NX Pajero
    OEM Alloy Bull-Bar, Bushranger Nighthawke Light Bar, Whispbar roof bars, Uniden UH8080S, Provent 200 Catch-can, Redarc tow-pro
  • symo
    • Jan 2012
    • Brisvegas

Front yes, rear no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

On the front use a bridle.

At the rear use a hitch receiver.

Comment

• Mundy55
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2015
        • Gold Coast

What is the benefit of using a hitch receiver rather than just sticking the snatch strap into the hitch hole and putting the pin through the loop? I am not questioning the use of a hitch receiver but don't want to spend another $60 and carry 3.5kg for something I hope to never use.

Comment

• vrx26
          • Sep 2014
          • Melbourne, Victoria

As Quoted from Practical Motoring:

"Rear recovery points
          If your vehicle is equipped with a standard 50mm hitch receiver, there are several rated recovery point options available to you. One method is to simply remove the towing hitch, slip the end of the recovery strap into the hitch receiver and replace the hitch pin. On the downside, the strap could rub on the sharp edge of the hitch receiver and be damaged or, in extreme circumstances, the hitch pin could bend, making it difficult to remove.

A better option than relying on the pin alone is to remove the towing hitch and replace it with a specially designed recovery hitch, which is designed to accept a rated shackle."
          09 NT Pajero Exceed V6 (OEM Nudge bar, Bonnet Protectors+Headlight Protectors, Stedi light bar, IDrive throttle controller, Lifted with Dobinson IMS Suspension)
          Bucket list: Bushkinz plates

Comment

• Tenacity
            • Oct 2019
            • Willetton WA

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
            On the front use a bridle.

At the rear use a hitch receiver.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/pro-seri...-hitch-ac36954
            Thanks and excuse my ignorance but by 'bridle' do you mean attaching to both the front hooks, forming a triangle?

Hitch receiver makes sense.
            2019 NX Pajero
            OEM Alloy Bull-Bar, Bushranger Nighthawke Light Bar, Whispbar roof bars, Uniden UH8080S, Provent 200 Catch-can, Redarc tow-pro

Comment

• Tenacity
              • Oct 2019
              • Willetton WA

Thanks heaps, all makes sense...........
              2019 NX Pajero

Comment

• KPJero
                • May 2019
                • QLD

Has anyone used a damper? Is it worth it?

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by KPJero View Post
                  Has anyone used a damper? Is it worth it?
                  Recently discussed here;

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Tenacity
                    • Oct 2019
                    • Willetton WA

Hi, looking at this again and also based on what's been advised in the past, I was of the belief that the hitch receiver is not designed for such sudden and potentially heavy loads. The sudden bit is probably more worrying, given that the tow-hitch is designed to tow, meaning steady pressure with perhaps occasional moderate stress. My previous GQ Patrol had a dedicated tow point on the back step and of course the ARB on the front had two. With my NX there's no such points, particularly as I have the OEM alloy bar on the front. Maybe stay away from snatching as it is a hazardous procedure so should be a last resort, after digging, Maxtracks and so on.
                    2019 NX Pajero

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

You should be using a snatch strap that is 2.5x to 3x the GVM of the vehicle, Gen4 has a GVM of 3000ish kgs so x2.5 =7500kg and x3 =9,000kg, therefore a 8000kg snatch strap is more than up to the task. Remember using a snatch strap with a higher rating than needed puts more impact load on the recovery points because a higher rated strap will stretch less at the same load.

When the monocoque construction Pajero first came out there were plenty of people questioned the Pajero's front recovery points, so engineers from MMAL id snatch tests to prove the strength of the monocoque body and the front recovery points.

Pajero off-road snatch recovery demonstration, showing strength of monocoque body construction and recovery points. Test was conducted by Mitsubishi Motors A...

Heavy snatch recoveries should always be your last resort as they are the most dangerous type of recovery. In sand you cannot beat a Maxtraxx recovery for safety and effectiveness. If you do need to do a hard snatch recovery then use Maxtraxx to assist.

OJ.
                      Last edited by old Jack; 13-02-20, 06:22 PM. Reason: typo correction.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Pickle
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2007
                        • All over Oz

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Pajero off-road snatch recovery demonstration, showing strength of monocoque body construction and recovery points. Test was conducted by Mitsubishi Motors A...

I would really love to find out what they used as a snatch point on the recovery vehicle, be buggered if I can see a tow bar!
                        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                          I would really love to find out what they used as a snatch point on the recovery vehicle, be buggered if I can see a tow bar!
                          The blue Pajero that is doing the recovery is fitted with a towbar so one could assume the towbar was a genuine towbar and it was used to attach the snatch strap as you can clearly see the strap is attached to the centre of the rear of the blue Pajero.

Interestingly the green Pajero that as being used as the bogged vehicle was recovered using only a single recovery loop and not both loops with a bridle.

The Gen 3/4 Monocoque construction Pajero has been sold globally for 20 years, if the front loops were failing during recovery then we would know about it.

I am happy to sell anyone "rated recovery point paint", comes in either red or yellow, if that satisfies the the perceived need for rated recovery points.

OJ.

Comment

• Pickle
                            Administrator
                            • Jun 2007
                            • All over Oz

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Interestingly the green Pajero that as being used as the bogged vehicle was recovered using only a single recovery loop and not both loops with a bridle.
                            Dead right Old Jack, that video was sent to me years ago by Mitsu when I questioned them about the recovery points. And it was to emphasis that the one recovery point was adequate for recoveries, not that the monocoque body that others stated would be twisted of out of alignment after a recovery . Sadly we lost Ian Glover in late 2017, and he was a great ambassador for Mitsubishi.
                            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X