Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-07-18
Lowlyf's Avatar
Lowlyf Lowlyf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 13
Exclamation Purchasing 2010 PB Challenger TODAY!?

Hi Guys,

I've near on purchased a 2010 PB Challenger from a dealer in Brisbane and shown the intent to purchase etc and I've recently discovered the terminology used to describe these engines as "Grenade Engines". Now this sparked my interest and I decided to investigate further and that has essentially lead me here. Reading up on the MMA recall and the various horror stories of peoples engines blowing up and the like.

My question to you challenger and triton owners is, Should I continue on with the purchase of this vehicle?!?

I do have a few other questions regarding this issue though:
1. If I ring a local dealer and give them the VIN # of this car, will they be able to see if this car has been seen to?
2. If the car was sent back for the "recall", will that issue now no longer be of importance and all is great with the car again?
3. If the car has previously been used to tow a decent sized caravan, is this a potential issue for the future of the vehicle?
4. This car has an Exhaust upgrade, HR towbar, torque convertor lock up kit and rear airbags installed...red flag or okay?

Thanks for the read guys and any information right now would be of great use as this deal is nearing completion.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-07-18
countman88 countman88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: brisbane
Posts: 36
Default

I have never heard the Challenger referred to as a "grenade engine", thought that related to Nissan Patrols.
I am thinking of buying a PC and will be interested in other replies.

KenD
Brisbane
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-07-18
littleriver's Avatar
littleriver littleriver is online now
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland
Posts: 3,122
Default

Sound's like an awesome vehicle ...

No such thing as a grenade ... was a cooling system campaign (not recall) being this vehicle has been a tow vehicle more then likely the overheating issue ( possibly on as little as 3% affected) would have come up by now ... there are only a few left that need engine replacing ) ... think most have been done now ... REGO or Vin will indicate recall (radiator cap 127kpa) but dealers are a bit secretive about vehicles details ... just ask mainly the cooling system safety campaign (if you get the right person might get an answer ) ...

I would advise a mechanic to do a gas analyzer test (sniffer) for gass's in the cooling system ... all said and done you will be fine ...

If she is the right price go for it ...

NB ... how many km's on the vehicle is very important for Statutory warranty purpose ( less the 160k km and less then 10 yrs old) is 3 months warranty by law ...

...
__________________
2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Last edited by littleriver; 03-07-18 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-07-18
Lowlyf's Avatar
Lowlyf Lowlyf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleriver View Post
Sound's like an awesome vehicle ...

NB ... how many km's on the vehicle is very important for Statutory warranty purpose ( less the 160k km and less then 10 yrs old) is 3 months warranty by law ...

...
Thanks for the reply mate. It's a 2010 model and only has 88,000kms on it and I talked the dealer into doing the 90k km major service into the deal.

I've rung MMA and they confirmed that all recalls on the vehicle have been adhered too so that makes me feel a lot better. I got a list of them emailed to me as well from MMA themselves so its all legit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-07-18
old Jack's Avatar
old Jack old Jack is online now
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5,821
Default

Low kms, have you spoken to the previous owner and asked why?
Is it a manual or auto?
How much does you caravan weigh?

OJ.
__________________
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-18
Lowlyf's Avatar
Lowlyf Lowlyf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Low kms, have you spoken to the previous owner and asked why?
Is it a manual or auto?
How much does you caravan weigh?

OJ.
No I haven't. The car is originally from Hobart, so they just didn't clock I up that many kms.

It's an Auto
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-07-18
pb4x2 pb4x2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Deception Bay Qld 4508
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlyf View Post
No I haven't. The car is originally from Hobart, so they just didn't clock I up that many kms.

It's an Auto
Sounds good to me. I have a 2012 auto 4x2 with 62Ks on it and have had no issues to date.Value for money they are a good vehicle and if the price is right go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-18
littleriver's Avatar
littleriver littleriver is online now
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland
Posts: 3,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlyf View Post
Thanks for the reply mate. It's a 2010 model and only has 88,000kms on it and I talked the dealer into doing the 90k km major service into the deal.

I've rung MMA and they confirmed that all recalls on the vehicle have been adhered too so that makes me feel a lot better. I got a list of them emailed to me as well from MMA themselves so its all legit.
geeze that would be nice

as per log book service that 90k km service is the cambelts .. (check the service booklet) ...



...
__________________
2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-07-18
old Jack's Avatar
old Jack old Jack is online now
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5,821
Default

These are good questions to ask;

3. If the car has previously been used to tow a decent sized caravan, is this a potential issue for the future of the vehicle?
I would be checking the colour of the ATF fliud ands also checking the last time (if at all) the ATF was changed.

4. This car has an Exhaust upgrade, HR towbar, torque convertor lock up kit and rear airbags installed...red flag or okay?
Does it have an electric brake controller or are there signs that there has been one fitted? If so this would mean it has been towing over 2000kgs. The exhaust upgrade, rear airbags and torque convertor lockup all point to this car doing or being setup for heavy towing if a brake controller is fitted.


Unless you are happy to plod along at 80kph and down to 50kph on hills the auto Challenger struggles towing 2,000kgs, 1500kg to 1800kg is its comfortable limit from the towing I have done unless it is all on flat roads.


Also check what the tow rating is as this changed in 2010 sometime, from 2500kgs up to 3000kg, both of which are a "dream".


The NW Pajero is a much more capable tow vehicle than the PB Challenger, more power, more torque and better auto trans.


OJ.
__________________
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-07-18
Lowlyf's Avatar
Lowlyf Lowlyf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
These are good questions to ask;

3. If the car has previously been used to tow a decent sized caravan, is this a potential issue for the future of the vehicle?
I would be checking the colour of the ATF fliud ands also checking the last time (if at all) the ATF was changed.

4. This car has an Exhaust upgrade, HR towbar, torque convertor lock up kit and rear airbags installed...red flag or okay?
Does it have an electric brake controller or are there signs that there has been one fitted? If so this would mean it has been towing over 2000kgs. The exhaust upgrade, rear airbags and torque convertor lockup all point to this car doing or being setup for heavy towing if a brake controller is fitted.


Unless you are happy to plod along at 80kph and down to 50kph on hills the auto Challenger struggles towing 2,000kgs, 1500kg to 1800kg is its comfortable limit from the towing I have done unless it is all on flat roads.


Also check what the tow rating is as this changed in 2010 sometime, from 2500kgs up to 3000kg, both of which are a "dream".


The NW Pajero is a much more capable tow vehicle than the PB Challenger, more power, more torque and better auto trans.


OJ.
G'day Jack. Yep electric breaks installed as well.
I'm not looking to tow anything behind this vehicle for a long while, but if anything it'll be a camper trailer in a few years time.

MY understanding is the guy that traded this car in, was on his way up to the Cape from Hobart, saw the dealer with a 100 series for sale and traded in the challenger. He did all the right things, but obviously didn't like towing of the challenger.

His loss is my gain? At least it'll tow a camper trailer like a trooper!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you do to your Challenger today? RMX PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 1535 1 Week Ago 03:58 PM
FS 2010 PB LS Challenger DaveXT Vehicles 4 sale 1 20-02-17 12:03 PM
2010 Challenger Toddyh Photos - You and your rig! 5 19-10-15 12:02 PM
2010 XLS Challenger rooey123 Photos - You and your rig! 2 24-05-11 05:34 PM
New Challenger purchased today! Ballfyboy PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 75 01-07-10 08:39 PM


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.