Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 27-10-17

Default NP 3.2 water pump/radiator life expectancy

G'day,

Whats the expected life expectancy of the NP pajero's radiator and water pump?

Wondering if mine is up for replacement soon.

Cheers
Old 27-10-17
Valued Member

What is the age of the car, and what km has it done?

Manual or auto?

Mine are original, and at 272k are still going fine. My car is regularly serviced by an outside mechanic, and fluids are replaced on schedule.
Old 27-10-17
Valued Member

I replaced the pump at 230,000km. and at 270,000km. started getting some overheating problems so put a new radiator with a 25mm. core in - one from Natrad Ė as well as new cap, thermostat, hoses etc. Iíve done about 315,000km. now and the water pump looks as if it is leaking a bit so will have to be done again. Not surprising as I find the genuine parts seem to last longer.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 27-10-17

2004 NP with 311k on the clock.

Ive noticed its lost coolant over the month ive had it from full on the reservoir to just above low at the moment (went and bought some coolant today). Does the water pump weep when its on its way out?
Old 27-10-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykiel575 View Post
... does the water pump weep when its on its way out?
Yeah, thatís what is up with mine at the moment Ė the seal on the shaft starts to leak. It can go completely and then you have a major problem.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 28-10-17

Thanks Gents.

Im thinking of getting a genuine pump and the price difference doesnt seem too bad compared to the longevity of the pump

Any suggestions for radiator and thermostat brands?

When people change hoses do they just change the top and bottom hoses or do they do all the hoses includingthe 4 or 5 heater hoses?
Old 28-10-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykiel575 View Post
2004 NP with 311k on the clock.

Ive noticed its lost coolant over the month ive had it from full on the reservoir to just above low at the moment (went and bought some coolant today). Does the water pump weep when its on its way out?
As you have only had it a month, top up & monitor before tearing it apart - if someone recently changed the coolant, it may have had some air pockets that are slowly disappearing?

Don't mix different coolants, as they sometimes "gel" & cause further issues.

If you don't know where the coolant is going, try to find out where before simply replacing various parts hoping that will fix it, other than perhaps a radiator cap. First, check the inside of the oil filler cap for any white/grey "milky" residue. May be worth getting a pressure test done?
Old 28-10-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot01 View Post
As you have only had it a month, top up & monitor before tearing it apart - if someone recently changed the coolant, it may have had some air pockets that are slowly disappearing?

Don't mix different coolants, as they sometimes "gel" & cause further issues.

If you don't know where the coolant is going, try to find out where before simply replacing various parts hoping that will fix it, other than perhaps a radiator cap. First, check the inside of the oil filler cap for any white/grey "milky" residue. May be worth getting a pressure test done?
Good idea. Ill replace radiator cap and have a good look for evidence of leaks. Ive been reading a bit and it seems a coolant leak would be hard to find on a pajero.

The coolant was flushed a year ago but its presumably been topped up.

I know the alternator was changed within the year and when i got the car and was driving home the aircon belt snapped so the next week i went and changed all the belts and the idler pulley. When i checked the old drive belt they looked okay and it was dated around 2012 so it was replaced not that long ago. Im hoping the pumps been replaced already but not sure how to check.

Ive noticed little bits of water under the car but they weren't green and i thought itd be the air con.
Old 02-11-17

387k on mine with the original water pump and radiator. Touch wood
Water pump was checked at 350K service by a reputable diesel mechanic and was said to be still in good condition.
2005 NP GLX DiD,Alloy bullbar, Rallye 2000 driving lights, dual batteries,icomm UHF, 2" lift Ultimate Suspension, HD front,SD back with Ironman air bags, TJM underbody protection, HD valve body and Torque Converter. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Last edited by Terryo; 02-11-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-11-17

Hopefully mine lasts as long as yours!. *touch wood,.

Does your genuine radiator have '>PA66-GF30<' in raised plastic lettering on the top of the radiator to the right of the radiator cap? (im checking whether mine's aftermarket or genuine).

I've replaced the radiator cap and doesn't seem to be losing any coolant but I'll have a check over the next month or so.

I bought genuine top and bottom hoses from MMA (CHEAPER THAN AFTERMARKET at ~$45 for both!), genuine thermostat ($70ish) and also ordered the genuine heater hose set from overseas using amayama.

MMA had a lead time of 8 weeks on the heater hoses so I ordered it as well as some other bits and pieces online.

I figure I better change the hoses as I'm pretty sure they are still original (has 'MEIJI R&C CO JAPAN LTD' written on them. I'll also be installing a coolant temperature probe on the top radiator hose through an adaptor.