Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 26-07-13
Valued Member

Default Plugs and Leads life expectancy

Just getting general consensus of how long I should expect my leads and/or plugs to last before replacement.

I bought my NM at 75k and put LPG on it immediately. No change of leads or plugs at the time. They were changed though at 150k when I had other stuff done.

Now done 220k and having serious misfire issues and visible signs of cross firing between the leads. Coils have been checked and are OK.

Is 70k a reasonable life for the leads? Given the work required to replace just the leads, I feel it would be wise to change plugs/seals as well while the manifold is off. Personally I would have expected more than 70k from the leads. I am not sure whether or not the replacements put in at 150k were MM originals or not.

Does anyone have experience with other brands of leads (eg. Topgun?), particularly on injected LPG.

Cheers,

Calspec
01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.
Old 26-07-13
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to marcthelegend

I got over 200,000k out of mine and it turned out to not even be the leads at fault in the end anyway. Mine were original Mitsubishi ones but new ones are aftermarket from Veale, would have bought mitsubishi ones again but they were mighty expensive ($400 for the 3 IIRC) but around $100 for the 3 at Veale.

Cheers

Marc
05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)
Old 26-07-13
Valued Member

G'day,

I recently changed plugs/leads on my NL 3.5 @180k. Was not chasing an issue - new vehicle, not sure on service history etc.

I did plugs, leads and seals (plug tubes & rocker cover) - which was a good choice, with the manifold off I found two plugs swimming in oil.

I think there is a thread in the gen2 section - an NL missfire and tube seals were part of it.

I would be hoping for more than 70k. I got NGK plugs and Topgun leads from repco. My car is not on lpg.

Cheers
Old 26-07-13
Valued Member

With my NL 3.5, the local mechanic said to change them over every 100,000km. He said they should last longer (platinums), but 100,000 is a nice round number, and easy to remember.
Old 26-07-13

evening
one of the things that a most people are either not told or realise is that when running on lpg the ignition system has to be 100% otherwise it will show as misfires bad economy etc, but when you switch over to petrol it will run fine, lpg just shows up the slightest fault with the ignition system.
if you are replacing any parts try not to skimp on the quality brands with lpg they tend to pay for themselves, also check the gap on any new plugs can't remember if they have to have either a bigger of smaller gap than is required for petrol, you could also try the next temp grade up as well they may help.
good luck
Old 27-07-13

dont skimp on plug leads , besides crossfiring they can also break down to earth inside the plug tubes . I find NGK to be a very good brand personally
Old 27-07-13
Valued Member

I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

I am starting to think that my previous mechanic may have chosen a lesser brand of plug lead if I have only realised 70K from them before I have issues with misfiring. Looking at my service records, I was charged about $150 for the lead set which certainly sounds cheap compared to Topguns or MM originals. I obviously didn't emphasise with him enough the need for top quality leads for LPG. He was an LPG installer so I put my faith in him knowing what's best. He did put in Platinum plugs, so I would expect them to last a little while longer yet.

I expected that NGK would be good. Will start looking around to see what costs what. Has anyone had experience with Topgun leads on injected LPG?. I have used Topgun previously on a V8 Mustang and they were great, but not sure on their suitability for LPG engines.

Cheers,

Calspec
01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.
Old 27-07-13

HI,
Just had a problem today on my NM and had to replace the plugs and leads- found that running LPG/petrol that 2 of the plugs must not have been tighten properly and one blew out. I replaced the leads- because the rocker seals were slightly leaking, and also had to get new plugs as all of NGK platnuim plugs had fowled and decided to try Auto-lite spark plugs- (double platinum and only cost $42 (for all 6) at sprints) They seem to be pretty good- the guys said they are better than Bosch and NGK and really big in the states.
If you do go down the path of doing your leads make sure you check the spark plug tubes, if oil gets down them, they will destroy the lead end (swell the rubber) and foul the plug.
While we had the rocker covers off we did the lifters- mine has only done 135k and the 18 of the lifters had jammed- even after putting lifter additive through the oil.
I got some good prices on my parts from Auto pro on Brighton rd Somerton Park
Lifters ($5.50 each need 24)
Rocker cover gasket kits included spark plug tube seals ($33.50 each)
If you are doing the leads before 100k mark I would probably say that is where your problem is.
I also run Bosch leads, but I have found them to be quite a bit skinnier that the standard lead, but still seem to be OK.
hope this helps.
Cheers,
T