Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 22-06-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I've been running Coopers for most of my 17 years. In one trip, our convoy lost more 697s (and only 697s) than I've lost tyres in all those years. Those drivers no longer use 697s.
sad to hear (good to know) ... were the Bridgestone's L/T rating (curious) and I am not a cat ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Old 22-06-18

Okay, hit me with the horror stories about Toyo Open Country AT.

I bought one Dueller AT three or four month back to replace a HT with a roofing screw through it. I figured the old ones are getting low so thought it better to spend the money on a new spare rather than a repair on a six year old one).

Now looking to replace the rest and to be honest there is something about the tread design on the 697s that I don't like. So thinking about the Toyo ATs. Can't justify the price of a Mickey T or Coopers (have heard bad stories about the latter also) for the type of use they will get. Sadly no Gibb River roads or Tanami Desserts on my horizon.

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.
Old 22-06-18
Valued Member

Our tyre dealer refuses to sell Coopers. Had way to much trouble with their warranty.

that are guaranteed to last up to 80000km. If the customer doesn't read the fine print
Old 22-06-18

Default New tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakey View Post

My brother works out of Emerald in central Queensland, covers 70-80k a year traveling around stations between there and NT border. Drives Prados only. He's not heavily loaded.

He changed to the Open Countries a couple of years ago. He reckons they're as good a tyre as he's ever had. Highly recommended by him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22-06-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakey View Post

I bought one Dueller AT three or four month back to replace a HT with a roofing screw through it. I figured the old ones are getting low so thought it better to spend the money on a new spare rather than a repair on a six year old one).

Now looking to replace the rest and to be honest there is something about the tread design on the 697s that I don't like. So thinking about the Toyo ATs. Can't justify the price of a Mickey T or Coopers (have heard bad stories about the latter also) for the type of use they will get. Sadly no Gibb River roads or Tanami Desserts on my horizon.

No really bad horror stories about Toyo OPAT II, they are a 10 ply rated tyre in the LT version so the tread/crown is tougher than an 8 ply, but the sidewalls and shoulders are still easy to damage in very rough rocky terrain and with tree stakes.

As you said there are always bad stories about most things, be it Pajero, Prado, Patrol, Landcruiser, Bridgestone, Toyo, Cooper, ARB, TJM, the list is endless. Most products fail because they are being used in a manner in which they were not designed to be used, people just do not want to accept that there is a limit to which everything can be pushed before it breaks or does not perforn to their expectations. Most tyre failures are caused by the wrong tyre for the job, too high tyre pressures, too high speed, too much load and or suspension that is either way too soft so it is bottoming out all the time or too hard so the tyres compensating for lack of suspension travel.

Not sure why people only want to believe and listen to the horror stories (exciting) maybe it is easier than to listen and believe the good stories (boring). Magazines and 4wd TV shows are not good for product endorsements as they have not paid for the product (it is also not their money) and rarely live with the product for the full life of the product.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 22-06-18

Have had good service with my 697's (currently have 40k on them about half worn). But that said I don't do any really harsh 4WD work. When we are on a trip the car is often at GVM or close to, with plenty of load on the rear axle as I tow with 250kg on the ball - so I have around 44psi in the rears. With that weight I wanted a LT tyre for a bit of strength but didn't want to go too heavy as most of my driving is on sealed roads. Also mindful of budget!

I put the 697s on after getting 80,000 out of the OEM 684s (which still had a bit left on them).

At the right price (eg max around $250 fitted), I reckon the 697s are a good tyre to have if you do mainly bitumen and ok-ish dirt roads, and want to go down the odd rough rocky track to get to that favourite campsite in the flinders - provided you go easy on speed and be sensible about pressures.

I find the 697s very quiet on the bitumen and hold nicely on cornering. I find they give nice control on unsealed as well. The only negative was that earlier this month the wife picked up a screw in one so it now has a plug in it - but that can happen to any tyre if you are unlucky.

These tyres have given me exactly what I was after which was really a cross-over between the OEM 684s and a true All-Terrain tyre (eg BFG or Toyo OPAT2) - although I did seriously consider the Toyos! I've had BFG A/T on a previous vehicle (Navara) and wasn't really happy with the noise or the wear.

Horses for courses as they say. For the type of driving I do I'd get the 697s again, but would like to try the TOYOs if the price was right.

2010 PB Manual, Icom 440 Remote UHF, 130AH AGM in rear, Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697s, HR Towbar, Kings KCRS-23 springs / Pedders 5899. Single axle 18' Caravan with muddies & good clearance - ATM 2.5T/Ball weight 250kg
Old 22-06-18
Valued Member

Big Dave is on the money, the right tyre for the job, realistic expectations and knowing the tyre's limitations.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.